Popular Tags: [View All]
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i'll pipe up and say that i have never actually played the game.
but from what i hear the main gripe with munchkin is the end game lasting to long and it jsut being the first person to kill something after everyones cards run out.

well i was wondering wether once someone reaches level 6 you have a time limit and the person who has the highest level by that time limit wins.

this stops the moot point at the end game, and possibly change up the way cards are used a bit.

what do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that as soon as you have touched the cards, if you do not immediately fling them in the trash, you have wasted a lot of time and should report to the reprogramming tanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ok yeah mad, but constructive comments would be better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for your reply

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been summoned...

A time limit would improve the game, yes. I often suggest it to my game group. "How about an hour time limit" "It won't last an hour, don't be silly". An hour later. "How about finishing in half an hour" "Don't be silly, it will end any moment now"....and so on.

I don't think anything could redeem the game for me now. But the time limit might help less jaded souls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
We will move from victims to survivors and conquer as we go.
mbmb
You really should play the game first.
If you really like the game you propably won´t have an issue with the long time it takes to play. If you don´t like it, the long playtime just is another minor nuisance. If you find yourself in between these points of view, the time-limit might help.

The three times I played Munchkin I couldn´t complain about the length...but it was so boring. And I really *wanted* to like this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just try it yourself.

For me, it is too long (and boring after a while).

But a few days ago, there was a round in our gaming club. Two players dropped out after say an hour, but the other 4 seemed to enjoy the full 3 hours. So maybe you'll enyou it too, if you try.

In addition: The 'base' game often ends after say an hour. Still far too long for this game for me. But people who enjoy the game usually insist on adding several extensions (or modules), and like it when it takes hours and hours. So the 'too long' effect is greatly increased when you dare to play with people who like the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a game of Epic Munchkin (to 20 pts) one night that lasted over 7 hours. (Playing with 6 expansions.)

But, yeah, try it yourself before passing judgement on it. In fact, I'd recommend giving it a couple of plays in order to get the mechanics and proper rules hammered out. It's definitely better the 3rd or 4th time you play it. After that, it's all a matter of personal preference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I understand your concerns. This game's length, at least for my group of friends who have played it, has usually, been way too long. Fun, but too long. However, it is easiy amended by making people decide quickly if they are going to aid monsters, steal things as thief, and such.

But, like all game, this can be long and this can be short. From my experience, our games have defintely been longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Reiter
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really don't get the attitude that this game is so awful. First of all if you hate the game that much (Phillip) why do you repeatedly post here? (As if that's uncommon on the net.)

Anyway as far as the game goes I think the people who don't like it probably don't care for this type of silly "do it yoruself" game anyway. We have only had one game go into what i would call "too long" and that was when we had 3 noobs playing, we were all drinking, and the vets had already played one game.

Want a shorter game? Take one of the blank cards and create an "End Game" card where all members of the party battle each other with one winner. Then just use the several variants for PVP combat. I think games that encourage house rules are rare anymore so some people are timid about making alterations.

If you like silly games that are meant for beer and pretzels then check it out...I'd probably add that a background in D&D is needed...and I mean real D&D and not video games of PBeM. Otherwise I think the full humor of "munchkins" is lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hartstein
United States
North Plainfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a timed game would almost always end in a many-way tie. The endgame typically has more than one player at level 9.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.