Roger Horner
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just noticed that the Thief card says:
Quote:
Each other player reveals the top 2 cards of his deck. If they revealed any Treasure cards, they trash one of them that you choose. You may gain any or all of these trashed cards. They discard the other revealed cards.

Since it specifically says gain (and not some other wording), does that mean that if you choose to gain a trashed Cache card, you will also gain 2 coppers, or if you gain a trashed IGG card, all other other players gain a curse?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Laufer
United States
Millington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seems like a clear yes to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
I say yes ...
Hinterlands Rulebook: FAQ on Cache wrote:
You gain Coppers whether you gained Cache due to buying it, or gained it some other way.

Hinterlands Rulebook: FAQ on Ill-GottenGains wrote:
When you gain Ill-Gotten Gains, each other player gains a Curse. This happens whether you gain Ill-Gotten Gains due to buying it, or you gain it some other way,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Gaining from the trash counts as gaining, so on-gain effects do happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Horner
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I thought so, but wanted to be sure since gaining typically implies from the supply. I guess two other cards that could be used with Thief are Watchtower to top deck the gained treasure or Trader to gain a silver instead of a copper (or other treasure which you would rather replace with silver).

While Thief is considered a weak card, some of these combos may make it worth considering in certain circumstances. If nothing else, it would be fun to try and make it work, even if it isn't the best strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
roger1818 wrote:
Thanks. I thought so, but wanted to be sure since gaining typically implies from the supply. I guess two other cards that could be used with Thief are Secret Chamber to top deck the gained treasure or Trader to gain a silver instead of a copper (or other treasure which you would rather replace with silver).

While Thief is considered a weak card, some of these combos may make it worth considering in certain circumstances. If nothing else, it would be fun to try and make it work, even if it isn't the best strategy.

I think you mean Watchtower instead of Secret Chamber. Secret Chamber can be used in response to the Thief attack to make sure Ill-Gotten Gains is not trashed/gained and Curses distributed. Watchtower can be used to trash the undesired Coppers from a gained Cache while placing Cache itself on top of your deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Horner
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beaveman wrote:
I think you mean Watchtower instead of Secret Chamber.

Yes, you are correct. I fixed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Echoing to confirm it's a yes. It doesn't matter where you gain from - The supply, the trash, the Black Market deck, or anywhere else, all that matters is that you DID gain the card.

This can incidentally make Thief potentially the most powerful cursing attack in the game, giving out 5 curses to each other player whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Doughty
United States
California
flag msg tools
OVERTEXT HERE
badge
Funded by supporters like you!
mb
I knew that the Thief gains from the trash, but I hadn't considered some of the interactions that have been mentioned in this thread. I think I'll have to make a custom Thief supply to play this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.