Hide
5 Posts

Andean Abyss» Forums » Rules

Subject: first turn, first card, National Defense & Security Council. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
LARRY cruz
msg tools
Ok,I read threw the rules and thought I was ready to play my first game of AA. First card to come up was "National Defense & Security Council". I am lost. I looked and look threw the playbook and rules and tried to figure out what does the card mean.

Lets say I am playing the Government and its first turn and the game is set up for 4 players. I decide to do the event "National Defense & Security Council". What happens then.. does the card fizzle since I haven't done sweep action therefor there are no sweep areas.

I need help understanding sweep areas, do they exist if an area has not been swept. I would also like to know what happens in the fist turn if the shaded area of the card gets chosen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
visit us on www.muwins.ch
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As you see on the card, it is a "Government capability", so if you take the event, you mark it and from then on, each sweep may include one police cube (normaly only troops may sweep into a location).

The card doesn't say anything about sweeping right now, so you can't actually sweep when you take the event. It represents political efforts increasing government effectiveness in future operations (not a bad thing for the first card, actually).

Regarding your next question: There are no lasting "sweep areas". One sweep consists of moving adjacent and a maximum of "one LoC away" troops into the same city or department, then all police and troops in that selected location activate guerillas (depending on the type of terrain). The card above allows you to enter an aditional police cube into each selected sweep space (following adjacency rules) for the whole game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LARRY cruz
msg tools
Thank so much. I am struggling with the rules of this game. Overwhelmed is not a strong enough word for what I feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
visit us on www.muwins.ch
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules seem more complicated than they are. Once you get the hang of them, you don't need more than the play aids for each faction to know what is going on. I sent you a geekmail...

oh, and as for the shaded area: it means that the council failed and the army and the police didn't come to an understanding. So if the shaded event is activated, sweeps may only use police OR troops (decision of the gov player) in the final space to activate guerillas instead of both. Again: it's a government capability (a bad one in this case) which stays in effect for the rest of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Smith
United States
Verona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
larrycruz45 wrote:
Thank so much. I am struggling with the rules of this game. Overwhelmed is not a strong enough word for what I feel.

It really helped me the first time to set up the game and walk through the example game in the playbook, moving the pieces around to get a feel for how all of the mechanics worked together.

Of course that did not prevent me from making mistakes on subsequent plays, but I don't regret taking the time to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.