Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
53 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

1830: Railways & Robber Barons» Forums » General

Subject: Pokerchips, Excel sheet, PC-program, or paper money? // Playing aids? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: poker_chips [+] [View All]
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,
What type of money do you use when playing an 18xx???
Poker chips seem far better than paper money (like in monopoly), I guess.
I know, that some use an excel sheet or PC programm to track the money.
I personally think, that this takes away a part of the "feeling", but may speed up the game. What do you think/use???? Any other methods??

I don´t know how to set up a "multiple choice election" in a post. Could somebody tell me how to or set up one himself (herself)?? Would be nice!

Thank you for your thoughts!

( I posted this in 1830, because this seems to be a very popular 18xx title, but is there a general 18xx forum as well?? I won´t link this to every single 18xx title)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Pokerchips, Excel sheet, PC-program, or paper money?
There are a number of tedious tasks which slow down the game:

- Simply handling the currency and making change
- Calculating, remembering, and updating route values
- Calculating dividend payouts per player based on holdings

Poker chips help with the first of these tasks only, but immensely so.

For the second and third, I recommend a dividend tracker like this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the dividend tracker, you mentioned, looks nice, I´ve just downloaded it and will try. Simple 1x1 table, but probably quite helpful! Replaces the dividend tracker printed on (some of the) boards, I guess?!

Keep posting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a dividend tracker on any of the boards? I don't think I own a game with one.

Anyway, it's something separate [obviously] from the stock market, if that wasn't clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
Is there a dividend tracker on any of the boards? I don't think I own a game with one.

Anyway, it's something separate [obviously] from the stock market, if that wasn't clear.

1. 18EU (actually the only 18xx I own) has one, but never mind!
2. Of course!

But now back to topic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
badge
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
mbmbmbmbmb
Poker chips, a really good banker and maybe some paper to notice the payouts during the operation rounds is all you need.

Just my two cents...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:

Deep Thought boards have them, and probably other small publishers. Mayfair's games don't.

Example:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
still waiting for further opinions and someone to set up an election

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Buckland
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, can't help with the poll

I've never used a program, but chips are way faster than paper money. The $2 denominations also help.

Our group writes down the payouts each round.

On a related note, found a timer really helps speed up play.

A question for the computer users:
Do you pass out cash at the end of an operating round (or sets)?
Or at the end of a stock round?

Or computer only?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything but paper money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
smithlucas wrote:

First preference is Lemmi's moderator (which automates everything other than the map, track and tokens) with a skilled/fast driver. Next is either a spreadsheet (or similar electronic automation that isn't Rails) or poker chips. Anything else and the game is not worth playing.

Quote:
I know, that some use an excel sheet or PC programm to track the money. I personally think, that this takes away a part of the "feeling", but may speed up the game.

I play the game, not my feelings.

Quote:
( I posted this in 1830, because this seems to be a very popular 18xx title, but is there a general 18xx forum as well?? I won´t link this to every single 18xx title)

Yes, use the 18xx family.

NateStraight wrote:

Actually poker chips also fractionally improve the second and can improve the third.

Quote:

The more I play the 18xx the less useful I find dividend trackers. I rarely bother to use them even on the games that come with them, certainly not before the final permanent trains come out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Rigby
United States
Spring Hope
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Designer & Inventor Emeritus
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smithlucas wrote:
Hey guys,
Poker chips seem far better than paper money (like in monopoly), I guess.
I know, that some use an excel sheet or PC programm to track the money.
I personally think, that this takes away a part of the "feeling", but may speed up the game. What do you think/use???? Any other methods??

I don´t know how to set up a "multiple choice election" in a post. Could somebody tell me how to or set up one himself (herself)?? Would be nice!

Thank you for your thoughts!

I always use mini poker chips. We have played with "Rails" and while it does a nice job at speeding up the game, I really hate that it always shows exactly who is winning and by how much.

I am looking into setting up a poll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Rigby
United States
Spring Hope
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:

Shameless plug alert: My wife and daughter started a small business, Board Game Innovation that makes a laser engraved dividend tracker for 18XX and token sets for several of the titles that do not have it integrated into the map. 18xx Dividend Tracker

I use it in every game I play, as it eliminates the never ending question, "How much did you run for last time?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Rigby
United States
Spring Hope
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
What type of money do you use when playing 18xx???
Paper Money
Poker Chips (Regulation Size)
Poker Chips (Mini)
Spreadsheet
Rails
Smart Phone/Tablet Ap
Other
      61 answers
Poll created by mobilecad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great! The discussion becomes more and more interesting. J C Lawrence, I´ve waited for your answer! Lemmis program is nice, but unluckily it doesn´t feature all 18xxes (what the plural?) , e.g. not 18EU (the one I prefer at the moment)
Does anybody have a nice Excel sheet suitable also for 18EU (In excel I can edit the comp.´s names)??

I think we have the consensus, that paper money is very bad, so you don´t need to point that out again. The question is poker chips, pc.moderator or excel sheet??? Or are there any different methods??

(J C L. : I think there is a difference between players (like me) who play only some 18xx and players (like you) who have probably played hundreds of 18xx games, so you found your way, and of course in the long run you saved A LOT time by using your best methods, I think, it´s also a question of the motivation of playing an 18xx: If it is your 50th game and you just want to improve your strategies, you don´t care as much about the ... athmosphere of the game as a newbie will!! And for me there is definitely something like athmosphere, feeling,... not in an emotional way, but you know, for example at poker games it is also an important part!)

Roger Rigby: Thanks for setting up the poll!! Please take part everybody!!
Rails seem to allow playing completely without a copy, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
António Vale
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mb
In my experience, the single biggest delay in making payments is the need to make change: because the limited bank size involves limited amounts of any single denomination, you find that you're constantly running out.

While poker chips help, as they make handling easier, I found that using an excel spreadsheet to track payments is the biggest timesaver in this respect: you just note the different runs and make a single payout to each player just before the stock round, which is when they need the money. As an extra plus, it keeps track of previous runs as well.

I wouldn't like to use the spreadsheet exclusively though, as I like to have the pile of money in front of me and play with the chips while I wait for my turn

You can try having a look at the spreadsheet I put into the files section, it's simple but flexible enough to use with different games and different share structures (5, 10 and 20 share companies, for example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Rigby
United States
Spring Hope
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smithlucas wrote:

Roger Rigby: Thanks for setting up the poll!! Please take part everybody!!
Rails seem to allow playing completely without a copy, right?

You are very welcome. If you need to create one in the future just hit the green check mark under the emoticons.

You are correct that Rails is self contained and allows you to play on a computer without having a copy of the game. Two caveats: Not all of the 18XX titles are available, and there are a few hiccups in the rules application.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
smithlucas wrote:
Lemmis program is nice, but unluckily it doesn´t feature all 18xxes (what the plural?) , e.g. not 18EU (the one I prefer at the moment)

Lemmi's moderator supports 18EU (I'm not sure how complete the support is, but it is among the listed/supported games).

Quote:
Does anybody have a nice Excel sheet suitable also for 18EU (In excel I can edit the comp.´s names)??

Check the 18xx mailing list's repository.

avale wrote:
In my experience, the single biggest delay in making payments is the need to make change: because the limited bank size involves limited amounts of any single denomination, you find that you're constantly running out.

That's silly and unnecessary. Provide a bank which is clearly larger than needed, distribute it about the table so that all players may easily bank for themselves, and then only check bank-size as the end-game approaches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Berry
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If using chips rather than a spreadsheet, make the person operating a company responsible for ensuring that all dividends are paid, rather than requiring everyone to take their own dividends. That way, if someone is planning their next move, they don't have to interrupt their train of thought to handle the administrative task.

Put the income paid by a company on each player's set of shares in that company. This makes it easy to see whether a payment has been missed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
António Vale
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mb
clearclaw wrote:
That's silly and unnecessary. Provide a bank which is clearly larger than needed, distribute it about the table so that all players may easily bank for themselves, and then only check bank-size as the end-game approaches.
That's actually a pretty good point, but unless you have access to a lot of poker chips (certainly a lot more than what my group usually has), I think you'll still be running into the problem, and in any case it should be quicker to make a single payment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing Poseidon with poker chips. And did the same for a learning game of 1830. I really need some more chips in different colours though.

JC could you explain or post a picture of a physical (written) spreadsheet you use.

I've written stuff up for the final rounds of Poseidon but I'm sure it could be done so much better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
daveberry wrote:
If using chips rather than a spreadsheet, make the person operating a company responsible for ensuring that all dividends are paid, rather than requiring everyone to take their own dividends.

Oh dear no. Tried that, and that's much slower here than having everyone bank for themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
abodi wrote:
JC could you explain or post a picture of a physical (written) spreadsheet you use.

We use a paper spreadsheet for computing the last rounds of games. An example:

For other spreadsheets I rely on ~25 contributed Google Doc spreadsheets that I've collected from various sources:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B2MZEaSEKjnJRFd4dkR2...

In the cases in which we don't have time to calculate out the spreadsheet I then transfer that to a GoogleDoc and post that file to the mailing list. eg:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmMZEaSEKjnJdFh...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:

Oh dear no. Tried that, and that's much slower here than having everyone bank for themselves.

How do you make this possibble? Does every player have his/her own bank? Is the bank positionated in a way everybody can reach it (should be difficult, since in the middle of the table naturally other things have to lay)?

And "what" is your bank?? For example, I simply use my poker suitcase, which takes pretty much place on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smithlucas wrote:
clearclaw wrote:

How do you make this possibble? Does every player have his/her own bank? Is the bank positionated in a way everybody can reach it (should be difficult, since in the middle of the table naturally other things have to lay)?

And "what" is your bank?? For example, I simply use my poker suitcase, which takes pretty much place on the table.

Split the bank so there is money on both sides of the board. Everyone can reach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.