Subject: Wargamers: We The People or Princes of the Renaissance? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By this I mean light or euro wargamers, of course. Which is a better game to add to a collection for replay value and long-term enjoyment?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played these games, but if my understanding is correct one of these is a war game proper of sorts and plays only 2 while the other is virtually a pure auction game and only plays well with 4-5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
United States
Greenbelt
MD
flag msg tools
mbmb
Princes of the Ren is one of my favorite games. John is correct that it is not a wargame. Although starting a 'war' is part of the game, effectively what you're doing is changing the stock market values of the people you've bought during the game. It's almost completely a auction/negotiation/manipulation game, but if you like those kind of games (are there any other than PotR?) it's brilliant.

We the People I haven't played, but I understand it's one of the seminal wargames, the first card-driven wargame. As someone who's just getting into wargames, I find the card-driven ones to be most appealing and worth looking into.

As an aside, I would highly recommend Friedrich as a great Euro-wargame hybrid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Such totally different games. Princes is a pure auction/valuation/special powers kind of game, where war isn't really war. We the People is a two-player only game that looks like a wargame, but has a lot of clever, positional things going on. The deck can be wildly variable, and there are times when you can't do much about anything, due to bad hands. But part of the fun is working through bad and semi-bad hands, and still finding a way to trap Washington.

So would you like your randomness:

A. In a two-player game where the randomness comes from a deck of dealt cards, (two decks actually, forgot the battle deck).

B. In the actions of 3-5 opponents, i.e. multi-player chaos, with, in some groups, a lot of negotiation, deals, and "don't whack me, Mark's the one who's winning..." type whining to go along with constant auctions, and the occasional dice roll, (the war part of the game).

Both great, fun games. WtP is better as a two player game, and Princes is for larger groups. But they really don't scratch the same itch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.