Dr Snooze
msg tools
I think I just put my finger on why some people (including myself) are concerned that this game is going to be little more than "draw from the location deck and make the specified roll", ad nauseam. From the rulebook and the examples of play, there don't seem to be any "ongoing effects" cards. For example, there's no way to place a buff on another player that grants him +1 to his attack rolls. This type of effect can create a lot of opportunity for interesting card combos, where you could have a buff that makes all your weapon attacks stronger, or improves your spellcasting somehow.

Anyway, as many have stated, we'll have to wait until the game comes out to judge whether or not it's fun, but I think this is the main reason for my concern.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heineman
United States
LaCrosse
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the discussions about what makes a good solo character I believe the point was made that certain character cards "play off of others". I assume these are the buffs you're talking about, but its only an assumption.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Rulebook, one option for using a card is to Display it. Which is defined as "place in front of you". We have seen no example of any cards like this, but I suspect "ongoing" effects will come from these cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
youperguy wrote:
In the Rulebook, one option for using a card is to Display it. Which is defined as "place in front of you". We have seen no example of any cards like this, but I suspect "ongoing" effects will come from these cards.

Same goes for cards that are Revealed - they stay in your hand effectively providing an ongoing bonus until they're wounded out of your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven riola

joliet
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
youperguy wrote:

Same goes for cards that are Revealed - they stay in your hand effectively providing an ongoing bonus until they're wounded out of your hand.

Reveal cards also have a 'discard this for additional d?' So you can reveal for one bonus and reveal and discard for an additional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
Something for the rag and bone man...
badge
No soldier outlives a thousand chances. But every soldier believes in Chance and trusts his luck.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the OP's concerns about the game, being more specifically just how involved is the decision making and strategy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Anderson
United States
Gloucester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ALSB wrote:
I agree with the OP's concerns about the game, being more specifically just how involved is the decision making and strategy?

Depends on how involved you think the following questions are:
Which character will you play?
What cards will you select for your starting deck?
Upon completion of a scenario, will you upgrade any of your starting cards and which ones?
Which location will you start your search?
Will you 'keep the party together' and close locations faster and easier or will you spread out so as to locate the villain quickly?
Will you use your blessings to gain extra explore actions or to boost your or a teammate's skill check roll?
If you encounter a villain too early how many of your cards are you willing to use to defeat the villain when you know he/she/its going to escape regardless of whether you defeat it or not?
Should you try and clear out the easy locations first, getting all the stuff those locations provide earlier or will you take on the more difficult locations early so as to make it easier in the later rounds of a scenario?
What will you do to ensure that your deck doesn't run out of cards?
How will you manage to reduce or recover from damage that you take?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
Something for the rag and bone man...
badge
No soldier outlives a thousand chances. But every soldier believes in Chance and trusts his luck.
mbmbmbmbmb
Spatulaguy wrote:
ALSB wrote:

Depends on how involved you think the following questions are:
Which character will you play?
What cards will you select for your starting deck?
Upon completion of a scenario, will you upgrade any of your starting cards and which ones?
Which location will you start your search?
Will you 'keep the party together' and close locations faster and easier or will you spread out so as to locate the villain quickly?
Will you use your blessings to gain extra explore actions or to boost your or a teammate's skill check roll?
If you encounter a villain too early how many of your cards are you willing to use to defeat the villain when you know he/she/its going to escape regardless of whether you defeat it or not?
Should you try and clear out the easy locations first, getting all the stuff those locations provide earlier or will you take on the more difficult locations early so as to make it easier in the later rounds of a scenario?
What will you do to ensure that your deck doesn't run out of cards?
How will you manage to reduce or recover from damage that you take?

Hi Jim, these are all important questions. The only demo I watched did not really make mention of these aspects and I have not had much time to follow the forums. Thanks for putting things in perspective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Anderson
United States
Gloucester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ALSB wrote:
Hi Jim, these are all important questions. The only demo I watched did not really make mention of these aspects and I have not had much time to follow the forums. Thanks for putting things in perspective.
No problem, Trevor! A lot of people seem to be focusing on the core mechanic (roll some dice to pass a skill check) without seeing all the decisions that go on around those checks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jon larsen
msg tools
A long string of buffs will get you 4E D&D all over again.

I think what I would be worried about isn't what type of situational cards I could play - but their timing. It's the difference between Magic and Duel Masters. In Duel Masters there are no 'instant' cards, so tactical choices are limited to playing cards based on what's currently on the table. In Magic you need to anticipate what your opponent MIGHT do - because they can interrupt/disrupt your own turn while you're taking it.

Since this looks to be a co-op game where the "enemy" is all AI, I'll venture out on a limb and say that's the biggest detriment to the game's pacing and overall excitment. That no matter how many phases and layers of conditional modifiers - everything is ultimately a known quantity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.