Popular Tags: [View All]
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just received my Kickstarter miniatures from Reaper, and some need assembling. I'm not a miniature gamer and this is my first venture.

What kind of glue is recommended? Is superglue OK? It's the one I have at home, but I have heard that it can melt some kinds of plastic.

Also, the plastic is soft and some parts are horribly bent. One dragon can barely stand because the base is twisted. Will the hot water treatment work or can it damage the minis?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
I have just received my Kickstarter miniatures from Reaper, and some need assembling. I'm not a miniature gamer and this is my first venture.

What kind of glue is recommended? Is superglue OK? It's the one I have at home, but I have heard that it can melt some kinds of plastic.

Also, the plastic is soft and some parts are horribly bent. One dragon can barely stand because the base is twisted. Will the hot water treatment work or can it damage the minis?
Yes and yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lloyd
United States
Castroville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Super glue should be fine for the models. I never used model glue as it would cause the plastic to melt together a little. With superglue, and care and patience, you should be able to disassemble the model if you don't like how the pieces have been glued together.

That said, I have zero experience with the particular models you are talking about and this is the first I've heard about the hot water treatment.

I do have extensive experience with metal and plastic GW models and reaper metal models and superglue definitely is my glue of choice for those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Jansen
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also have Reaper Bones and can answer your questions:

Superglue is perfectly fine for all assembly, and works great. All of the reaper bones I had (which was most of them) all assembled easily with just 1-2 drops of glue.

For miniatures that are bent, many of them will revert to 'normal' on their own (my Undead Giant appeared to be doing the limbo out of the box). You can speed this process with a hot-water bath, reposition, ice bath. Bones will not melt until somewhere over 400 degrees F, so dipping in boiling water works great. Most malformations will resolve from hot water. Make sure you soak them long enough to get the heat all the way through the material... 10 seconds or so for thin pieces, and 30-40 seconds for larger ones. Immersion in icewater afterward will set the minitatures faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
marshalljansen wrote:
For miniatures that are bent, many of them will revert to 'normal' on their own (my Undead Giant appeared to be doing the limbo out of the box).

Really? I have never seen that happen. So, to the hot water treatment we go! My undead giant is also one of the worst cases, but a pair of skeletons and a few other guys are no better.

And, man, that Kaladrax dragon is huge! I thought it was going to be much smaller from the concept art. It's awesome, but I don't think I will be able to use it in a game.

Thanks for the answers, folks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
One note before you glue everyone together - it will make painting certain areas impossible if you glue first.

As much as I want to get some of mine together - like the demons - theyre gonna have to wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:
One note before you glue everyone together - it will make painting certain areas impossible if you glue first.

I noticed that, but I'm no miniature painter. At most, I will just give them a wash, or paint in a single color if required by whatever game I end up using them in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.