Subject: Unpunched, "misprinted" cosmic encounter...is it worth more? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Rickwa
United States
Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
From a collector's standpoint, I've heard that errors in the production can sometimes cause the rarity and value to go up--like the stamp with the airplane printed upside down.

Well, I've got a Cosmic Encounter game (unfortunately by Avalon Hill) where half the cardstocks are mis-cut so the cut pattern do not match up to the design printed on the board. It is off by about a half-inch, cutting off portions of the planets and card characters.

My question for anyone who can tell me is this, can this make the game more valueable? How would I know and who could tell me this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't think that a misprint or offset print would necessarily increase the value. If anything, as far as board games go, I think it would actually decrease the value.

This type of error happens quite often in board game printing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Rickwa
United States
Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Yeah, I was actually pretty disappointed when I saw it. I have two unpunched copies and I am seriously considering using the kits here on the BGG to make them into one 8-player game. That way, the screw up would get covered up.

Fortunately I didn't pay much for them. Some local shop was trying to get rid of some stock and had them marked down to $23.50 a piece. I even got one for $20.00 because the box corner was crushed. I guess combining them is one way of loosing the crushed box and covering up the defect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.