Subject: Organisation? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Melissa Sharma
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I keep my cards in a binder. Standard Ultra Pro 3x3 card holders. I do like the binder method, but I'm looking for an opinion on how to organise said binder.

I'm conflicted between separating by cycle (Core, then Genesis, then C&C, then the future spin) or by Faction?

Any opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mara
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would be much easier for making quick deck replacements to separate them by faction.

They could be organized by faction, and within each faction they could be ordered by set (an further ordering would likely require you to reorder all the cards when a new set comes out)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
mb
I order mine by cycle (Core, Genesis, Creation and Control)

It helps that I have a good memory of the cards and what sets they are from. If you don't have that then I'd suggest by faction alphabetically. I do mine by set because it is easier to organize - no constant reorganizing each set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter McCormick
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The upside to set order is the addition of future cards. The downside is less utility for deck building.

The opposite is true for any kind of type/faction sorting. Good for deck building but potentially annoying to constantly reorganize.

The real question would then be which method annoys you more, and then choose the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
organizationroxas wrote:
So, I keep my cards in a binder. Standard Ultra Pro 3x3 card holders. I do like the binder method, but I'm looking for an opinion on how to organise said binder.

I'm conflicted between separating by cycle (Core, then Genesis, then C&C, then the future spin) or by Faction?

Any opinions?

Factions, Type, Subtype, Cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I have the same binders and keep mine organized by faction. Identities go on the first few pages along with agendas, then all the sets get mixed together into factions. I am not too meticulous about how I arrange them but I try to keep similar types of cards near each other (ice next to ice, viruses next to viruses, etc).

I've deliberately left a lot of blank space for each faction so that I have room to fill out the binder over the next few years, but until those cards actually get printed it's kind of sparse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maybe Next Time
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
By faction, then by card type. By end of Genesis only programs take 2 pages. Less numerous card types I've bundled onto 1 page. For now.

User preference on how to organize within each page. Cost as a guideline, but its pretty easy to take 9 cards into view at a time so it don't really matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa Sharma
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hrm. I do a lot of my deck building via excel sheet.

Perhaps by set would make the most sense in that case? Though I switch out cards a lot.

This is hard and most upsetting. I think I'll give by set a try first. I'm missing two of the Genesis data packs so it would be great to leave a home for them, when I do manage to track them down!

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I order my LCGs like this:

1. By faction
2. By type of card
3. By cost (low to high)

For Netrunner, I also divide my ICE listing all the Barriers first, then Code Gates, then Sentry's, then oddballs and the same for Icebreakers.

This has proven to be very good for browsing and building decks from as I can quickly review multiple similar options side-by-side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micheal Keane
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Pictured: Rags Raggerson, successful businesscat
mb
I organize by set and card order though now that Genesis is finished, I'm going to organize Genesis by Faction, Card Type, Alpha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Roberts
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I organize by

Faction
Type
Then alphabetical
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I organize by faction, and that's it. Just pile 'em in. 6 cores and 2 of each expansion have blown me out of an upside-down insert in a single box though, probably need to do something about that. Would like to fit everything in a single box, for as long as possible. And I definitely don't need 18 copies of Access to Globalsec in there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
Cephiros wrote:
I organize by

Faction
Type
Then alphabetical

I'm Binder -> faction -> type -> card # - so that when new cards come out, i don't need to shift everything down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't use a binder, but rather a "shoe box" with dividers for each data pack and expansion and then the core cards sorted by faction. The "chunks" of cards are in plastic baggies.

I do all my deckbuilding on CardGameDB, and have pretty much memorized all of the cards and know which data pack (or core) they are in. It's got the search feature in case I can't remember.

I think it makes deck building pretty quick and easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Compton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of Faction -> Type -> Alphabetical.

I always put Runner before Corp and my Runner cards go Anarch -> Criminal -> Shaper. Corp cards go HB -> Jinteki -> NBN -> Weyland - (basically alphabetical by faction name).

Originally I was going to do it Core/Genesis then Faction -> Type -> Alphabetical separate within those but then I realised it was a faff to have Genesis separate to Core and it would only get more silly as more cycles were released so now they all just live together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mychal
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain_Frisk wrote:
I'm Binder -> faction -> type -> card # - so that when new cards come out, i don't need to shift everything down.

I did exactly this until recently, and might eventually go back to this method for the sake of simplicity and convenience.

Currently, I have them sorted by faction, then a specific order for that card type. [Agendas are sorted by their points/advancement ratio, ICE is sorted by type and then cost, Icebreakers are sorted by "flavor" (cloud, fixed-strength, etc.) and then type] Each card type for each faction has its own page(s).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Winter
Austria
Wien
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Heap
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sort by Type, then faction, because when I deck build i pick up all my programs, or all my resources, pick the ones i want and then sort out influence later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Peters
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
It's time to go Full Chort.
badge
‎"NO FATE BUT THE NARRATIVES WE IMPOSE ON LIFE'S RANDOM CHAOS TO DISTRACT OURSELVES FROM OUR EXISTENTIAL PLIGHT"
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the question comes down to how you do your deckbuilding. I currently have my cards in a binder organized by faction then card number, however, since I do all my deckbuilding on cardgamedb I think I'm going to reorganize purely by card number as I think this will make it easier for me to pull the cards I want when I'm working from a list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton R.
Russia
flag msg tools
mb
faction->type->cost

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Searfoss
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gozik wrote:
faction->type->cost

Same here. I personally can't stand binders and have my cards stuffed into two of the season-kit card boxes (Cyberfeeder for runner, Crypsis for corp). I'm a tactile deck-builder and need to have the cards in my hand or on the table in front of me or I can't quite envision the deck correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksi Laitinen
Finland
flag msg tools
I sleeve everything and keep them in the box, sorted by faction, type, sometimes subtype, and cost. With everything sleeved, putting a deck together is a lot faster than having to re-sleeve everything from a binder.

The obvious downside is the cost of the sleeves. It's slightly slower to find the cards (unless you get lucky) but you save time not having to deal with sleeving. Another upside is that all cards are protected all the time.

I build my decks using a computer first (http://netrunner.meteor.com/ unless it's down, which it often sadly is), so that hasn't affected my decision of not using a binder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Chan
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interestingly, the cards up until C&C were numbered alphabetically for the box they came in.
But some cards are out of order for C&C.

That being said, I sort it by faction, then exactly how it's sorted on cardgamedb: IDS on top -> alphabetical by type -> alphabetical by name
Of course, I have it in the card storage boxes, so reorganizing isn't a pain. I don't think I could do binders with how often I deck build.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh C
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
mrthefter wrote:
Interestingly, the cards up until C&C were numbered alphabetically for the box they came in.
But some cards are out of order for C&C.

With the exception of Victor 1.0 and Rototurret, which annoys me to no end to this day. The lack of alphabetical consistency in C&C annoys me even more, though, and is likely going to have me moving away from card number to cost as the final change in Faction -> Type -> Card # for sorting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just sort by faction and card type. e.g. all anarch cards together, and then seperated by programs, resources, events and hardware.

When I put stuff back in, I put it whereever there is space.

Quick access to the cards you need, without having to mess around making sure they go in the right places later (also some cards occupy 2 slots since I keep 6 copies of it in my binder)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.