Subject: Empires mode - 2 leaders missing a home? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gregory Mucklow
United Kingdom
Swindon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I might have missed them but couldn't see an empire for Berenice and Pythagorus when I was sorting them out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Eaton
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pythagorus in in Thrace, but you're right about Berenice! She should also be in Thrace. I can't believe I missed that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Mucklow
United Kingdom
Swindon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hah, thanks!

Looking forward to the supplemental rules you mention so that future wonders and leaders are also assigned an empire.

Don't suppose you've had a go at doing this for the Lost Wonders and the French ones from Corro/Gusa&Co yet? Some like Thebes are obvious, but others are more tricky. I'm keen to have a go and may post my attempt, but your historical knowledge of the boundaries would be invaluable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Eaton
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, no plans to do that. I made 7 Wonders: Empires as a standalone project. At the time when I made this, there were 12 official boards (including Catan and Mannekin Pis). The Wonder Pack came out during development, jumping that number to 14. Lost Wonders, at the time, was up to 28, and there were other projects abounding.

Adding up all of the boards out there, I realized that it more than quadrupled the amount of playtesting I would have to do. I couldn't do that; I'd go mad.

On top of that, each creator had a vastly different style. Whoever does Ruins/Sailors and the corresponding boards is so complex that his boards are almost a new game. Shima and the Lost Wonders team were still a little too crazy for me. I made Empires as a conservative expansion, only adding new abilities and material when I found it absolutely necessary.

So... that's a long-winded way of saying that I only acknowledge official boards in my rule books. However, I fully support your efforts to classify the other wonders. Let me know if there's any you are having trouble with. In general, Persia = Babylon, Assyria, Jordan, Israel. Thrace = Turkey and its outlying islands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Mucklow
United Kingdom
Swindon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha, yes I know there are loads of wonders out there now.
I fully appreciate that you'll only expend effort on supplementary rules for official relases!
And yes it may be that including the extra ones makes an Empires game unbalanced - I just like knowing which of them are related by region and then seeing which I could safely add into the Empires choices

I've had a first go at categorising them in another thread. Thanks for the Thrace/Persia info - I'll review my attempt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Eaton
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So sorry. There are many Berenices in history, and I thought this one to be the wife of Herod. In reading the Cities rulebook again, it's clarified that this is the Seleucid queen of Egypt. She belongs in Egypt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.