tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bizarre story of the day:

Back when I was in University (late 1981, I'd say), my buddy and I went to the race track on a Saturday afternoon. This was back in the days when $2 bills were still in vogue, and $10 was a pretty big bet for a couple of University students.
So I go to the ticket window, make a bet, and get my ticket.
The exactor wins! I go claim my prize-- about $37, I believe it was, because I got a $20, a $10, a $5, and a $2. The $2 bill had a note hand-written on it:
"The best burgers are at Ma & Pa's Hamburger Haven in Wyndell, B.C."
Strange, I think; and I show my buddy the bill. He agrees.
I bet on the next race, and pay using that $2 bill. I lose.

Three races later, I cash in another winning ticket.
I get the very same $2 bill back in payment!
There must have been thousands of dollars going in and out of the cash drawers and what are the odds?

So my buddy and I then decide that this is a sign. We must go to Ma & Pa's Hamburger Haven in Wyndell, B.C.

"Reading Break" comes a month later-- Road trip!!
It is a six hour drive. We plan to go there for lunch and then drive 2 more hours to a time-share cottage on a lake that his parents have available to them (and us).

The entire way there, we are practically drooling, and can think of nothing else but the best burger ever. We are extremely hungry when we arrive.
It is closed for the season. Only open May through September.
We have to drive an hour to the nearest town to get a very below-average burger instead. It was devestating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
It is closed for the season.

Did you ever go back to get it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DK Kemler
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True story:

Me and a friend are having dinner at Max's Opera Cafe, which just happens to have a live pianist and singers performing for the guests.

Are waitress happens to be cute, and my friend express interest in her. After much pushing and goading (he was very much an introvert) I finally convince him to write his number on a dollar bill and five it to the waitress as a "tip".

So quickly her pulls out a pen (yes, a pen), and scribbles his number on the back of a $1 bill. The next time the waitress comes over, he offers it up, looking like a deer in headlights. She thanks him with a big file and takes the bill.

Then proceeds to walk directly over to the musician, and dump it in his tip jar.

He would never tell me how many awkward calls he received because of that little stunt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last year, for the first time ever, I found one of those wheresgeorge.com dollar bills. I got it from a tourist trap in Alaska. I looked it up and it had only one entry from the person that stamped it. I entered it as being in Alaska and then took it to Korea and spent it in the airport bar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Britten
United Kingdom
Newark
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend gave a girl who worked in a shop his phone number written on a £10 note. She looked at it and laughed at him whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
cryolemon wrote:
My friend gave a girl who worked in a shop his phone number written on a £10 note. She looked at it and laughed at him whistle

Does this "friend" happen to be you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
MABBY wrote:
It is closed for the season.

Did you ever go back to get it?

No. It will forever be the "best burger in the country that I've never eaten."

When we got back to our University residence, many, many people asked us how good it was.
We may have bragged a bit and built up the roadtrip a lot before we left. whistle
So, of course, we did what we had to: We lied our asses off and told everyone that it was out-of-this-world fabulous, and well-worth the drive. devil

When I say six-hour drive, I wasn't kidding. And the last hour of that trip is on a rough, very twisty road along a lake. The kind of place that you may want to go to in order to escape civilization and get back to nature. Or, maybe hide a dead body. We're talking remote, here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Britten
United Kingdom
Newark
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ImaginaryRoot wrote:
cryolemon wrote:
My friend gave a girl who worked in a shop his phone number written on a £10 note. She looked at it and laughed at him :whistle:

Does this "friend" happen to be you? :p

No, but a different friend once gave my number to a girl who worked in a bar after I'd said I liked her. All I got out of that was spam texts from the bar...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
The entire way there, we are practically drooling, and can think of nothing else but the best burger ever. We are extremely hungry when we arrive.

Was anyone else hoping he would start reciting the plot of Harold and Kumar and see if anybody called him on it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
radynski wrote:
MABBY wrote:

Was anyone else hoping he would start reciting the plot of Harold and Kumar and see if anybody called him on it?

I once had a girlfriend who was born in Columbus, Ohio and grew up in St, Louis, Missouri, and she would go on and on about how great Whitecastle burgers were.
After getting other opinions from more people on that subject, I quickly lost the desire to try the burgers and any desire to see Harold & Kumar.
So I don't know the plot of that movie, in fact. But I can likely guess it pretty close!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
So I don't know the plot of that movie, in fact. But I can likely guess it pretty close!

Please do. I would love to see that.

(at least as long as you don't cheat)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
radynski wrote:
(at least as long as you don't cheat)

OK; I'll take a shot:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Harold and Kumar, two East Indian friends, move to the United States. I will guess Trenton, New Jersey.
Upon arrival, they hear a bunch of (drunken) people at a party talking about how they want to go to Whitecastle restaurant for miniburgers.
The duo are intrigued, but also repulsed-- burgers are made from cows, are they not?!!
But these are not normal hamburgers, they are assured. No meat could be altered to take the form and texture that these have.
Perhaps they should go and find out for themselves.
But the closest restaurant is in Pennsylvania. So they embark on a road trip.
Much stereotypical racial humor and raunchy bodily function humor ensues.
The boys make it to the Whitecastle and end up working there.

So how close was I?

I'm not sure how the filmakers padded the premise to fill an hour and a half of screen time, but if you can make "Where The Wild Things Are" into a feature length film, then it must be possible.

What I did hear was that there was a TON of product placement, (not so subliminal) advertising, and blatant promotion of the actual Whitecastle franchise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
So how close was I?

Well Kumar is Indian, but Harold is Korean, and they are stoners in NJ.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
They get really hungry for Whitecastle, but when they drive over to it, they find out it has been replaced by some other Fast Food. But the one worker there lets them know that there is a Whitecastle still operating about ~45 minutes away, and they resolve to go to that one.

Along the way, hijinks ensue and they encounter racist cops, crazy hillbilly swingers, an escaped cheetah (which they ride), and a completely out of control Neil Patrick Harris. They eventually make it to Whitecastle, taking a hand-glider for the last bit of the trip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
So my buddy and I then decide that this is a sign. We must go to Ma & Pa's Hamburger Haven in Wyndell, B.C.

I thought this was going to end with you getting the bill in change from Ma & Pa's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Howden
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
I believe you have mine...
badge
Bringing you quality product in the face of crushing indifference since 1970.
mbmbmbmbmb
I stole this idea from Microserfs by Douglas Coupland but I have done it many times.

Write the fatal character flaws of people you know on dollar bills and spend them.

Nothing like getting a bill that says something like: "Your fear of commitment will doom you to a life of meaningless relationships and loneliness."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:

I once had a girlfriend who was born in Columbus, Ohio and grew up in St, Louis, Missouri, and she would go on and on about how great Whitecastle burgers were.
After getting other opinions from more people on that subject, I quickly lost the desire to try the burgers and any desire to see Harold & Kumar.

I personally hate White Castles, but my mom loves them. However, the closest restaurant is over an hour away maybe even 1 1/2 hours up near Akron. Columbus is the next closest. They do sell frozen ones in stores, but still not the same for her as freshly made ones.

FYI: It is the oldest hamburger restaurant chain, founded in 1921, and as such innovated a lot of things we now take for granted. 5¢ until the 40s when it went to 10¢. My mom remembers saving up until she got a dime and she would buy herself one. It is now headquartered in Columbus, but it first started in Wichita. The most interesting thing is that it does not franchise - all stores are company owned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.