Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this is old-news, but here's a photo of the last turn of one of Donna's three German Wins in Scenario 82 - "Hidden Guns Lash Out". Talk about the French having their backs against the proverbial wall !!

The French 75mm guns of the title were eliminated without accomplishing anything. One missed at range 3 (!) and the other delivered total firepower after the draw of only 13.

The pair of PzkwIIIs were just devastating, both from their inherent firepower, and for keeping the German card hand flowing smoothly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
why clip the corners to CC games? Isn't the purpose to fit them better in the hex?
I guess if you have terrible sprues....it's needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I clip to make 'em prettier. I don't appreciate the look of the remaining little cardboard 'corner snags' created when cutting them from the frames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmed Hadzi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What type of cardboard you used to make those new counters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AhmedHadzi,

Most cardboard which is thick enough is corrugated inside, and 'open edged' to make it lighter. That sort of cardboard does not make a good counter.

I just went around the house looking for solid cardboard which was approximately the right thickness. Finally found the heavy 'back-card' of an old product designed to be displayed hung on a hook. Used that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chipboard is a good cardboard for PnP. You can often find it backing reams of letterhead or in boxes of imprinted envelopes to lend support. (It's how I accumulated a supply of 200+ sheets of the good stuff!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
After buying several different types of specialized art board and various thicknesses of card, I tried out the backing from a legal pad on the recommendation of someone here at BGG.

It's the perfect thickness and cuts more easily than the more expensive art boards.

So, find a legal pad or similar pad of paper (letter sized, or what-have-you), rip off the cardboard backing and use that. Cheap, easy to find and easy to work with. Wish I had found threads telling me about it prior to spending $20+ on testing various other types of cardboard.

Caveat - thickness and quality of legal pad backings vary - check the thickness and quality against your Combat Commander counters before sticking your expensively printed labels to them! Also, some people prefer a very light-coloured counter when looking at the counters from the side (similar to the stock that GMT uses) - using most legal pads will not achieve the same "look" - you may or may not care about that (I've learned to never underestimate the picky-ness of wargamers! )

What Cindy (poster above) calls "chipboard" (hadn't heard it called this before, but seems to be the correct term) is the same thing, apparently.

If you don't have ready access to legal/letter pads with that type of backing, you can also buy it at Walmart and Staples:

http://www.staples.com/8-1-2-inch-x-11-inch-Staples-Heavy-Du...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Medium-Weight-Chipboard-Sheets-12X...

(note to Canadian readers - these are US links - not sure where you go in Canadian locations - no hits found when searching for "chipboard" in Canadianized versions of the same sites)

Also note that if you are printing PnP counters onto full sheet labels with ink-jet printers at home, consider applying one or two clear coats of glossy (or matte - your preference) art fixative spray. It will help reduce the amount of smudging and smearing that may occur if you are going to be handling the counters frequently.

Laser printed output typically has a fairly durable fusing, but some people fix that as well. It will work whatever you do, these are just recommendations for added longevity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmed Hadzi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for recommendation.

Funny thing, while thinking about it today in the train, I came to a same conclusion! Back of the notebook or pad has nice thick cardboard!

I had quite a AHA moment!

I guess great minds think a like

P.S.

Does anyone knows what is the thickness of the CC counters? After clicking Kozure's links I found white chipboard http://www.walmart.com/ip/Medium-Weight-Chipboard-Sheets-12X... which has thickness of 0.1in, that would solve the side color issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm away from my counters or I would micrometer one of them for you.

But if you stack up ten of your regular counters and the squeezed stack is 1 inch tall to your ruler, then each counter is 0.1 inch thick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmed Hadzi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:
I'm away from my counters or I would micrometer one of them for you.

But if you stack up ten of your regular counters and the squeezed stack is 1 inch tall to your ruler, then each counter is 0.1 inch thick.

I feel ashamed that I didn't think of this. My google and BGG search came back empty handed.

Results are in, 10 counters stacked is 0.5in high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Haskell
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kozure wrote:
After buying several different types of specialized art board and various thicknesses of card, I tried out the backing from a legal pad on the recommendation of someone here at BGG.

It's the perfect thickness and cuts more easily than the more expensive art boards.

So, find a legal pad or similar pad of paper (letter sized, or what-have-you), rip off the cardboard backing and use that. Cheap, easy to find and easy to work with. Wish I had found threads telling me about it prior to spending $20+ on testing various other types of cardboard.

Caveat - thickness and quality of legal pad backings vary - check the thickness and quality against your Combat Commander counters before sticking your expensively printed labels to them! Also, some people prefer a very light-coloured counter when looking at the counters from the side (similar to the stock that GMT uses) - using most legal pads will not achieve the same "look" - you may or may not care about that (I've learned to never underestimate the picky-ness of wargamers! )

What Cindy (poster above) calls "chipboard" (hadn't heard it called this before, but seems to be the correct term) is the same thing, apparently.

If you don't have ready access to legal/letter pads with that type of backing, you can also buy it at Walmart and Staples:

http://www.staples.com/8-1-2-inch-x-11-inch-Staples-Heavy-Du...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Medium-Weight-Chipboard-Sheets-12X...

(note to Canadian readers - these are US links - not sure where you go in Canadian locations - no hits found when searching for "chipboard" in Canadianized versions of the same sites)

Also note that if you are printing PnP counters onto full sheet labels with ink-jet printers at home, consider applying one or two clear coats of glossy (or matte - your preference) art fixative spray. It will help reduce the amount of smudging and smearing that may occur if you are going to be handling the counters frequently.

Laser printed output typically has a fairly durable fusing, but some people fix that as well. It will work whatever you do, these are just recommendations for added longevity.

Many printshops buy chipboard in bulk for some of the padding projects they may have. Drop in and ask if you can buy a couple of sheets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.