Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Lensch
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
...so what is your favorite positive story you've experienced while using the site?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mattlokk
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice avatar.... shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
Doombellow wrote:
Nice avatar.... shake

Agree on the avatar. gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Executive Bear
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my favorite positive experience story

Edit: OK for real. When I first got to BGG I had no clue what I was doing, honestly the layout can be overwhelming for someone who never used it before. I was able to find my way to the help forum and get some really obvious questions answered. Even though they were silly questions no one was ever a jerk telling me to search (thankfully because that would have been another question at the time). I always just got a straight answer and a thumbs up.

The other thing I would like to share is I wasn't aware of the avatar for new users thread until after i had already purchased one. I asked, not expecting to get it, for some GG to get me my Geek Badge, I have about 30 GG so I wasn't asking for the full amount just enough to cover it. Less than an hour later I had my new Geek Badge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It took under a minute to get a like on a raccoon picture I posted today. Most of my real life Facebook friends still won't like it and are logged on. People that I know have not muted me. People are friendly here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doombellow wrote:
Nice avatar.... shake

That's doodie for ya. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Layton
United States
Leominster
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite experience so far would have to be how quickly people helped me get my avatar. I thought it was going to be awhile, but people donated me the geekgold i needed and here i am. It really reinforced to me how much i like this community. We take care of our own lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Berglowe
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite is how fast people answer when you are asking for help or just need questions answered. Everyone tries to help in positive ways./DOC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting Shadowrift from Super Secret Santa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can think of many, many insanely generous moments of kindness and sheer generosity, itself, here at the Geek. (I speak from personal experience.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know somebody mentioned about wanting to get a certain game in the recommendation forums and somebody came in a offered to give them their copy. I don't know the exact transaction, but it felt like a worthy cause for the one giving up the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Christiansen
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
I would spread the cloths under your feet: But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
badge
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's another avatar stir but:

I was just paging around the site one day and noticed I had a geekmail. Keep in mind at first I had only really joined to enter contests. The geekmail was from an amazing user known as
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb

The gm said "I noticed you don't have an avatar, here is 30gg to buy one."

Needless to say the community won me over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just remembered, clandaith does a yearly random act of kindness contest, and he gives away a $30 and under game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had some amazing and unexpected things happen to me here.

1) My core set of Lord of the Rings LCG was missing a card and I asked in a forum if someone on BGG had a spare. Within ten minutes I was getting geek mail with people offering to send one to me.

2) I went onto a geeklist set up for people to trade to complete their sets of Defenders of the Realm global effects cards. After a few trades, I only needed one card left, which no one had, and an awesome guy, a soldier who was overseas in Afghanistan, told me he'd give me his for free when he came back on leave. A month later, I had the card. And my complete set! I was amazed.

3) My copy of Stronghold: Undead came with a really nice, hand-signed letter from the designer, Ignacy, saying he included a free copy of the Heroes mini-expansion with my order. So nice! unfortunately I couldn't find mine in the box, so I asked around to see if other people had gotten theirs. Within minutes people were offering to send me theirs, free of charge! I didn't even ask! So nice!!

I could go on, but these experiences have definitely given me reasons to "pay it forward" myself on several occasions. There are some great people here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Much like at real board gaming meetups, some of the discussions about non-boardgaming topics have been the highest interest. World, news, economy, pop culture, real life problems... esp. with the BGG community that I generally respect more than on other sites. This does involve taking many topics to the Chit Chat or RSP boards, but I do like it when it does occur, if somehow related to the thread to keep on topic.

Yeah, it's also a wakeup call to find more close friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slobodon Ginfizz
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The BGG user community. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious...ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Lensch
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
That is AWESOME!

lesulm1 wrote:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam 'Fenn' Fenton
Scotland
Falkirk
flag msg tools
200 Geekgold and all I got was this lousy Overtext
badge
Oooh - I got this Overtext too!
mbmbmbmbmb
SomewhatDamaged wrote:
It's another avatar stir but:

I was just paging around the site one day and noticed I had a geekmail. Keep in mind at first I had only really joined to enter contests. The geekmail was from an amazing user known as
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb

The gm said "I noticed you don't have an avatar, here is 30gg to buy one."

Needless to say the community won me over.

This sounds familiar.

We've a great community and so many really generous and friendly people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jude Mapp
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine has to be the pure love and joy that explodes across the forum each year for the Secret Santa. My wife and I have done it the last two years and we get really caught up in the whole thing. Love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Lloyd
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The BGG community is amazing in all. I am really impressed by what I have seen and experienced.

First, I listed a game on craigslist for sale and a very nice guy emailed me about it. He ended up coming around 70 miles to trade with me and we became gaming buddies. He then about a month later sent me a geekmail letting me know he was donating to me for my avatar. I was dumbfounded and really appreciate it beyond anything.

Second, I was recently looking for a copy of Wok Star and I emailed a couple people about the game. Most responded but one made me an offer to sell it for a very good price. As I'd been looking for the game for a long time and the price was amazing I jumped on the deal and ended up with a copy of the game, which I love.

Third, not 3 weeks ago I found a copy of a kickstarter game (with 10 promotional figures) up on the for sale. The woman who was selling it had it listed for much less than the active going price. As I had been looking for the miniatures so that I could play with them, I jumped on the game and bought it. I have enjoyed every second of playing with the new miniatures and am so happy that I could enjoy them without paying an amazingly high price for them. As such, I intend to send a gift to her come christmas time, in the form of a game on her wishlist, to hopefully return the favor a little.

Thanks for reading and spread the love!

I hope to start something come christmas time. Any game on my trade list at christmas, I will find someone who wants it and send it to them free of charge. Granted, my trade list is very small, but I hope every little bit helps. Maybe someone on this thread will join me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This community has been amazing for plugging me into everything. I got hired as a game designer with no professional game design experience, it turned out they wanted me to do a bunch of publishing and development too. I've been running to catch up ever since and it looks like my first game will be ready in a month or two. I'm not sure that I'd have made it without the amazing support of the community, BGG connected me to everything else that made it possible - mostly other designers and publishers who're willing to share their hard earned experiences to make it less painful for me to walk this path - but I've had invaluable help from others in the community too. I try to give a bit back by writing a daily about game design issues and doing the odd interview or review for other designers to signal boost because this just seems like a "do stuff to help people where you can" kind of a place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Taylor
United Kingdom
Epping
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of the few forums that I visit where a thread that has 'gone bad' (turned into an argument, flame war or whatever) can sometimes turn around and become a constructive discussion again. People seem willing to actually take a step back and cool down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slobodon Ginfizz wrote:
The BGG user community. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious...ninja

i second this devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sinewave72 wrote:
...so what is your favorite positive story you've experienced while using the site?

Watching the pulse of BGGers via POLLING devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My best experience is that I've used the community to find game groups when I've been travelling with work. I've successfully done this in Sydney, Toronto and Miami.
In Toronto and Miami this resulted in meeting some great people who also ended up being friends in the cities, with me seeing some of their cities with them, getting lifts, eating together and being invited into their homes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.