6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG General

Subject: Purpose of the "Artist" entry rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drink Me
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the BGG pages for individual games, the first line is for Designer and the second is for Artist. I think that it's extremely important for artists to get prominent credit for the games they've designed; for many games, the look and feel of the game is a big part of the play experience and the ultimate success of the game. The artist and the designer are, in a sense, the joint authors of any game which is a real aesthetic success.

But in my mind, this is true primarily of recent games, under copyright, whose appearance (good or bad) is the work of one artist or team of artists. For traditional games and games that are no longer under copyright, I don't feel that providing a list of everyone who has designed a set for the game adds much information; for one thing, it's visually distracting. For another, it's confusing to people who are trying to learn more about a game that they know is quite old. Finally, just as it's a matter of fairness for the artists of recent games to be listed on BGG immediately after the designer, it's equally a matter of fairness not to list a few artists who want to promote their work on BGG while making no attempt to list hundreds of artists who have designed more classic, more popular, or more daring sets of the same game. So I tend to think traditional games shouldn't list artists.

Anyway, these are just my thoughts. What do other people see as the purpose of the "Artist" entry? Is it there for anyone who has ever created a physical copy of a certain game? Or is it primarily to give credit to the author(s) of the original look of the official edition of a game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many things on BGG aren't done "correctly." The "artist" and "designer" fields on a game entry are setup wrong. The artist and designer should be for a version, not the game "itself."

All names on the game is really a remnant of BGG before versions. Sort of like publisher and alternate name.

The problem is "fixing" 65,000+ games already in the system. It is a massive job to spin through all of them to "fix" each individual game entry. The code fix is trivial in comparison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
herace wrote:
Many things on BGG aren't done "correctly." The "artist" and "designer" fields on a game entry are setup wrong. The artist and designer should be for a version, not the game "itself."

While the artist would fit better in versions. The Designer belongs in the main game entry as all versions of a game should have the same designer. If they don't then they are not versions of the same game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drink Me
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
herace wrote:

All names on the game is really a remnant of BGG before versions. Sort of like publisher and alternate name.

The problem is "fixing" 65,000+ games already in the system. It is a massive job to spin through all of them to "fix" each individual game entry. The code fix is trivial in comparison.

I see what you're saying. So while there isn't a quick-fix that will take care of this for every entry at once, we can at least do it piecemeal by spinning out freelance artists onto their own version pages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
herace wrote:

True... but honestly fixing the top 5,000 games would go a long way to making it feel fixed. And allowing people to edit these and putting a bounty up for users to complete them, maybe 1 geekgold for every x completed, would insure it got done eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am Kickstarting PowerBot Dice soon and plan to place the artist brand on the game box and on the official site

www.powerbotdice.com
https://www.facebook.com/powerbotdice
I feel the artist is a huge part of a theme and in my case Benjamin Raynal Really makes this game unique!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.