Popular Tags: [View All]
Trevor B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
Something for the rag and bone man...
badge
No soldier outlives a thousand chances. But every soldier believes in Chance and trusts his luck.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read a few comments within the forums where players have described the second and third scenarios as being unbeatable using only the cards provided in the core set. One person went as far as to call the game "broken".

Does anyone have some advice for a new player? I have the complete Shadows of Mirkwood Cycle in my collection and will start from the beginning (of the core set) in the coming weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel.
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Will you be playing the game solo or with some teammates?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Moller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no qualification for answering this, but I will say:

BRACE YOURSELF! THE OPINION WARS ARE COMING!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
No soldier outlives a thousand chances. But every soldier believes in Chance and trusts his luck.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattr0polis wrote:

I will be playing solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Winning the 3rd quest (Escape from Dol Guldur) is not possible solo with only 1 Core Set....and probably not even with multiple.

The 2nd quest (Journey Down the Anduin) is tough, but very winnable solo with only 1 Core Set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel.
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tubarush wrote:
Winning the 3rd quest (Escape from Dol Guldur) is not possible solo with only 1 Core Set....and probably not even with multiple.

The 2nd quest (Journey Down the Anduin) is tough, but very winnable solo with only 1 Core Set.

This, with solo play.

The first quest is kind of an introduction to the game. It's pretty easy.

The second quest is a lot harder but can be beaten once you know what you're doing and how to approach the quest.

The third quest I'm pretty sure is near-impossible to beat solo. But it sure is fun to try!

Enjoy the game! It's a ton of fun, win or lose!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Kryzch
United States
La Crosse
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I had to resort to playing two handed, then I finally beat it, I slammed a beer for that one! I only used one core set, brutal scenario
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't planning on buying another core set or really asking anyone to play. I thought I would play the game as I find some free time.

At some point, will I have to give up on the third quest and move on? How about the fourth quest and thereafter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mospinach wrote:
I have no qualification for answering this, but I will say:

BRACE YOURSELF! THE OPINION WARS ARE COMING!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
ALSB wrote:
I wasn't planning on buying another core set or really asking anyone to play. I thought I would play the game as I find some free time.

At some point, will I have to give up on the third quest and move on? How about the fourth quest and thereafter?

If you are playing solo with just one deck, go ahead and try the third quest just once so you can get an idea of how brutal it is and how challenging it will be to beat solo. Then skip ahead to the fourth quest (the first of the Shadows of Mirkwood cycle). You might be able to return to Escape from Dol-Guldur (the third quest) and defeat it solo using cards from the entire Mirkwoood cycle, but I wasn't able to beat it solo until I included several cards and heroes from the Dwarrowdelf cycle.

Another option that has been mentioned is to play two-handed. Essentially, play a 2-player game solo. It might be possible to Escape from Dol-Guldur by creating two decks from the core set (the pre-built ones probably won't win), and I'm sure you can do it playing two-handed with the Mirkwood cycle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ALSB wrote:
Mattr0polis wrote:

I will be playing solo.

The third quest (Escape from Dol Guldur) begins with one of your heroes captured in Dol Guldur prison. This is barely survivable with 2+ players. One player would have to get by using only two heroes!
surprise

Of course the easy solution would be to simply play a 2+ handed solo game. Three or four handed would be best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Robrob wrote:
ALSB wrote:
Mattr0polis wrote:

I will be playing solo.

The third quest (Escape from Dol Guldur) begins with one of your heroes captured in Dol Guldur prison. This is barely survivable with 2+ players. One player would have to get by using only two heroes!
surprise

Of course the easy solution would be to simply play a 2+ handed solo game. Three or four handed would be best.

Thanks a lot! I was trying to let them find out why it was so hard on their own instead of spoiling the surprise.

I remember the first time I read the quest card for Escape from Dol-Guldur on my first attempt.

Oh crap!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
esin .
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I really like playing with two decks. Some people complain it's too fiddly/complicated for one. But in my search for solitaire games many felt either too random or too simple, so I really appreciate any added complexity and the added options that brings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're going to be playing solo then I'd also recommend playing two handed. The main problem with solo play - for me - is how boring it can be because you only have 50 cards and because it can be particularly hard going you will see the same, most powerful cards, again and again and again.

Playing two decks that can synergise with each other allows you to play around with a lot more of the available card pool and try out different things.

As for the initial question yes, it's possible. It's just not consistent. My wins on Dol Guldur solo have all been quite lucky. With two players (or solo with two decks) it's much more consistent and once you have the strategy down you can win it most of the time, even with only the core set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Field
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are very few quests I'll play 'true solo' these days - Druadan Forest being one. I'll almost always play two-handed, and use a pair of decks that work well together. It takes a little bit of getting used to, but it's loads more involving.

For the first few months of owning this game - and playing it almost every night - I would play 'true solo'. But recently a few of my friends have got into playing it as well, so I'm lucky to be able to enjoy lots of two or three-player games.

Still not tried four-player, though. I imagine things can get a bit slow with four.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex de Burgh
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing two handed is the way to go if you're playing solo. Despite what the rulebook or box might suggest, this was designed as a two player game (just look at the sentinel and ranged keywords). I don't know why they didn't just say when playing solo us two separate decks but treat each as belonging to a separate player - meaning cards that refer to you or yours refer only to the deck they came from.

Two handed is a lot more fun and thematic and isn't complicated to manage - try it and I'm sure you'll prefer it to 'true solo'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beaveman wrote:
ALSB wrote:

If you are playing solo with just one deck, go ahead and try the third quest just once so you can get an idea of how brutal it is and how challenging it will be to beat solo. Then skip ahead to the fourth quest (the first of the Shadows of Mirkwood cycle). You might be able to return to Escape from Dol-Guldur (the third quest) and defeat it solo using cards from the entire Mirkwoood cycle, but I wasn't able to beat it solo until I included several cards and heroes from the Dwarrowdelf cycle.

Another option that has been mentioned is to play two-handed. Essentially, play a 2-player game solo. It might be possible to Escape from Dol-Guldur by creating two decks from the core set (the pre-built ones probably won't win), and I'm sure you can do it playing two-handed with the Mirkwood cycle.

You actually answered my next question. I was wondering about using cards from subsequent releases for prior quests. I'll have to keep this in mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really appreciate all the feedback I have been getting.

The thought of playing two handed never even occurred to me. I like the idea of becoming familiar with all four spheres of influence at the same time. I guess I have a lot of deck building to do and I'm sure the setup will be hectic, although not as difficult as playing multiple characters in Arkham Horror.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo two-handed is my preffered way of playing, also. I hate the way some card abilities go to waste in the 1-player game...

I 'd also like to add that all three core set scenarios are perfectly beatable this way, even with a single core set (and a little luck in drawing...).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex de Burgh
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would aslo add that you should make multisphere decks - I stuck with the pre-made ones at first but it soon became obvious that each sphere tends to fill a role (healing, getting through locations, etc) so having a single sphere deck can mean being unable to deal with situations (at least with the core set). A good example would be trying to quest with a tactics only deck - it's just not going to happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
esin .
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
freemanaj86 wrote:
I would aslo add that you should make multisphere decks - I stuck with the pre-made ones at first but it soon became obvious that each sphere tends to fill a role (healing, getting through locations, etc) so having a single sphere deck can mean being unable to deal with situations (at least with the core set). A good example would be trying to quest with a tactics only deck - it's just not going to happen.

Feels very true from my first few (2 hand) games. Gave Journey down the Anduin a couple tries. First game was with the tactics and leadership starter decks. Beat the game though it came a bit close.

Tried that scenario a scecond time with the spirit and lore decks and I got Obliterated. Really. I didn't even get past 1A. The Hill Troll just pummeled me out the gate till I finally got a forest snare on him, but by then my threat was enormous. Having a location that increased threat gain didnt help either. The coup de grace was when 4 of my heroes were 1 life away from death and I drew a treachery that dealt 1 damage to all of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.