fred Tortonesi
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I was just wondering as I was going to see if I could find a copy of the dvd just to use after we play the game for the first time with the vhs version. if it is compatable anyone know where I can just get a copy of just the dvd?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy .
msg tools
Nope, they're totally different games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Gatekeeper
msg tools
There are two main reasons why it won't work. The first being that the DVD has a few small additions to the game, the biggest example being the Black Key, which you cannot win if you have in your possession. Also altered from the VHS game is the key system; instead of collecting all of your own character's keys, you have to collect one of each colored keys, much like the first Nightmare spinoff "The Harbingers." The second is that many of the Time cards will no longer be effective as the DVD game runs for only 49 minutes, and the challenges on the Time cards won't match up with what's happening on-screen like they should and the DVD game begins at 49:00 and works its way to 00:00, whereas the VHS games all start at 00:00 and work up to 60:00.

All of these games are in extremely low supply worldwide and are difficult to find, so to get a DVD copy would be difficult. And, depending on your geographical location, region locking could prevent you from playing it at all (if you buy it in the UK but live in the US/Canada, it won't play unless you have a DVD player that is either region-free or modified to be region free).

I've only ever seen one copy of the game with a DVD that was compatible in the US/Canada, and it was at a yard sale a few years ago. Naturally, I had to grab it up. It's very different from the VHS game in a number of ways, but it's still really good and worth looking for.

Good luck in your hunt!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.