Popular Tags: [View All]
mak
United Kingdom
London
Much Hadham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Over the years, i made quite a few questions to FFG as i was trying to understand the details of this great game. I thought that it would be helpful for other players, new and experienced, to benefit from these answers. Note that this article is not an official FAQ, so if you have doubts about a specific answer you can always doublecheck it yourself by mailing to FFG at this link

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_faq.asp

Also it would be useful if any of you made any questions to FFG from time to time if you could post these answers here and make this article more complete.

In the Hero mission card "Against The Shadow": "The heroes win if there are no more than 2 monster tokens in play" does that mean that there have to be at least 2 actual monsters or any 2 monster tokens including rumors of monsters? What about the plot card "Osgiliath invaded"? Does there have to be an actual monster to activate it?

Any card that refers to Monster Tokens, refers to all types of monster tokens (even rumors). This applies to both Against the Shadow and Osgiliath Invaded.

There is a peril card that says: "Lose 2 favors or Sauron draws 2 corruption cards and decides which one to give you"... if the hero doesn't have any favors, does that mean that he takes the corruption card or does it mean that he escapes with nothing since he doesn't have any favors to give away?

Yes. If he cannot lose the 2 favor, then Sauron gets to resolve the secondary effect.

If there is a monster or minion in a perillous location and the hero visits this location then Sauron decides whether the hero takes Combat or Peril. Ok so far. If he decides to take Peril then can the hero engage in combat after the peril during the same turn? The rule book says about the travel step: "This step is unique in that it may be performed as many times as the hero wishes, or is able", and combat is a part of the travel step, so i'm guessing that he can engage in combat, am i right?

Yes, the hero can choose to fight a monster after resolving peril. Otherwise, such cards as "Against the Shadow" could be impossible for the heroes to complete.

When Argalad uses his special ability and looks at a monster token and sees that it is just a rumor, does the token then leave the game?

After Argalad looks at a monster token, he must replace it facedown in its previous location - EVEN if it is a rumor and not an actual monster.

About the Ambush step. Page 10 of the Rules of Play says: "Sauron MUST choose and attack with one monster or minion in the hero's location". But page 40 says: "Ambush Step: Sauron MAY choose and attack with one monster or minion in the hero's location."
So which one is it? Is it mandatory for Sauron to make the Ambush step or not?

The ambush step is mandatory. Sauron MUST choose a monster to attack the hero (if able).

There is a combat card that reads: "Reduce your opponent's printed defence to 0". Does that mean that any modifiers from previous cards are ignored and the final defence value is 0 or does it only affect the printed value of the card? I'm asking because the Rule Book says at page 29: "Reduce to 0: If a combatant's attack or defense is reduced to zero, then this value cannot be increased above zero (any modifiers are ignored)."

This card specifically only reduces the PRINTED defense value to zero. Any other modifiers still apply, and may raise this number above 0. (The rulebook entry refers to effects that reduce the final value to 0.)

The corruption card "Cowardly", does it mean that you discard a card from your hand and place it on the rest pool or does it mean that one hero card from the life pool is discarded permanently for the rest of the game?

"Cowardly" makes the player discard a card from his hand and place it in his rest pool.

The training card "Retaliate" says that Sauron suffers the same amount of damage that the player suffers. What happens if Sauron throws a card containing shields? Do the shields deduct the amount of damage?

"Retaliate" directly deals this damage to the monster, regardless of any shields on his card.

When you start your turn at a certain location and the Event Step card places a favor or a character on your location, then can you retrieve them directly or must you first change a location and then return again to claim them? The same question goes when you start at a location with a plot marker on it. Can you remove the plot without moving first? Similar, when you start your turn at a certain location and at location lurk 2 or more monsters then after the Ambush Step can you fight those other monsters/minions without changing your location?

To answer your question, the player can choose to explore his "Combat" and then "Explore" steps without moving out of his location. They need to be resolved in this order, but he can perform both of them.
Exploring includes picking up favor, consulting characters, completing questions and discarding plot cards.

We were just in the first round and the first Event card reads that if a player explored there then they could get to any place on the board instantly. I picked Eleanor as my player and had the Near Harad Starting Quest. So i thought that by picking the Event Story green marker i could get to Near Harad, explore it and complete my Starting Quest without having to face the Black Serpent in combat. However my friend protested and said that this move was part of the Travel Step and therefore it was mandatory to combat the Serpent or draw Peril cards if the location was perillous. We didn't come to a conclusion. What do you think?

If the Black Serpent was in your space, you would need to combat him before being able to explore your location and complete your quest.

A lot of things may happen at the start of combat at the same time. For example you may be starting a combat with the Mouth of Sauron and simultaneously want to play the Black Breath Shadow Card. Which happens first? The bonus corruption card or the Shadow Card? The text on both says "at the start of combat". Another example... The heroes may have the corruption card "Cowardly" which forces them to discard a random card at the start of combat. Does that happen before or after the cards they get from their agility?

In the case of multiple cards that need to be resolved at the exact same time, the hero player chooses the order in which the cards are resolved.

I play as Sauron against 2 heroes. One of the heroes sits nicely at the Gap of Rohan while my Ringwraiths are sitting next to him. In my Action Step, i am trying to move my Ringwraiths by two steps so i can ambush the other hero that sits next to the hero at the Gap of Rohan. My friends claim that i can't do that since my way is blocked and i can only ambush the hero at the Gap. In my opinion that is not the case since that rule applies to the Hero movement. What do you think?

Heroes do not block monster or minion movement. In your example, the ring wraiths can move through the hero's space.

If Eleanor has 2 favor tokens and consults with Denethor, can she use the extra favour she gains when consulting with characters and advance the green story marker one space?

Yes. Since both effects happen when she consults with a character, she can choose the order in which they are resolved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
le gerateur
msg tools
It seems that the answer to the last question of your post is not the same than the one from the FAQ :

Quote:
Q: After a Hero successfully plays a “Retreat” card during combat, what
step of his turn does he resolve?
A: The hero continues his turn as if he had defeated his opponent
in combat. The movement from the card is not treated as a travel
step and will not trigger combat or peril in the new location.

Does it mean that FFG changed his mind about this question ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mak
United Kingdom
London
Much Hadham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Been on vacation, just returned. I didn't notice that this question was in the FAQ. I will ask FFG for clarifications and i will get back to you as soon as i have an answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mak
United Kingdom
London
Much Hadham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
legerateur wrote:
It seems that the answer to the last question of your post is not the same than the one from the FAQ :

Quote:
Q: After a Hero successfully plays a “Retreat” card during combat, what
step of his turn does he resolve?
A: The hero continues his turn as if he had defeated his opponent
in combat. The movement from the card is not treated as a travel
step and will not trigger combat or peril in the new location.

Does it mean that FFG changed his mind about this question ?

So the answer from FFG came up just yesterday and it is the following...

"Sorry for the confusion Makis,
The FAQ is correct. This would not trigger combat or peril."

Therefore i will edit my post and delete the previous answer to avoid confusion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff C
msg tools
Thanks for this post. I do have questions on one entry:

Makis mou wrote:
There is a combat card that reads: "Reduce your opponent's printed defence to 0". Does that mean that any modifiers from previous cards are ignored and the final defence value is 0 or does it only affect the printed value of the card? I'm asking because the Rule Book says at page 29: "Reduce to 0: If a combatant's attack or defense is reduced to zero, then this value cannot be increased above zero (any modifiers are ignored)."

This card specifically only reduces the PRINTED defense value to zero. Any other modifiers still apply, and may raise this number above 0. (The rulebook entry refers to effects that reduce the final value to 0.)

I am confused by this answer and do not see how it is correct. The combat keyword rules for "reduce to 0" specifically indicate that any modifies are ignored. How can they then say modifies still can be applied? Is there any use for this entry in the rulebook if this answer is correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mak
United Kingdom
London
Much Hadham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually i'm with you on this one. Apart from the card that reduces the printed value to zero i don't think there is any other card that reduces either the attack or the defense value to zero, apart from the "cancel" ability but that is another matter. Who knows? Maybe they wrote the rule because they had expansion cards in mind at the time, or maybe they made a mistake. But in abscence of an official FAQ on the matter, i will stay by the answer i got from the designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff C
msg tools
Makis mou wrote:

Since I has doubts about the answer for the above Q&A I asked FFG and they confimed that the answer was correct:

Corey Konieczka wrote:
Yes, the ruling is correct and overrides the rulebook. The only time a combat value cannot be modified is if it is canceled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff C
msg tools
I put the following question to FFG and below is their response:

If you play Execute (which has the text "If your opponent's printed defense is 0, he is defeated") against an opponent whose Combat card that has been Canceled, what is the effect? Does it matter what the Canceled combat cards printed defense value is?

Corey Konieczka wrote:
If a player's card is canceled, this does not affect his printed combat value. The printed combat value is the number printed on the card regardless of other effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior Kiperman
Israel
Ramat Gan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HealingAura wrote:
Orc's ability: Fanatical - If both you and your opponent play Melee cards, deal your opponent 1 damage.
1. Orc played Fall Back last turn (Next round, if your opponent plays a Melee card, it is cancelled). Now both the hero and the orc play Charge (Melee, 2 attack, 0 defense, Cancel your opponent's Ranged Card). How much damage will the Orc deal, 2 or 3?
Corey Konieczka wrote:
Although the card was canceled, it is still a melee card. The Orc would deal 3 damage.
2. Orc played Hack (1 attack, 0 defense, Gain +1 attack if your opponent play a Melee card) while the hero played Reversal (0 attack, 0 defense, If your opponent plays a Melee card, gain attack equal to his card's attack and then cancel his card). How much damage did the hero deal, 1 or 2? How much damage did the Orc deal, 0 or 1?
Corey Konieczka wrote:
The hero would deal 1 damage. Card that use opponent’s attack or defense value always use the printed value.

3. A Ravager monster used Concentrate last round(Ranged, 0 attack, 0 defense, Next round, gain +2 attack and +2 defense). Now the monster played Attack or Opportunity (Melee, 2 attack, 0 defense, gain +5 attack if your opponent's printed defense is 0) and the hero played Reversal. How much damage will the hero deal, 2, 4, 7 or 9?
Corey Konieczka wrote:
Reversal would use the printed attack value of 2.
Southron's ability: Superior Tactics - Reduce the strength cost of your Melee cards by 1 (to a minimum of 0).

4. A hero played Shield Smash last turn (Melee, 0 attack, 3 defense, Next round, if your opponent plays a card costing 2 or more strength, his card is cancelled). Southron plays Anticipate (2 cost printed, actual cost of 1), will his card be cancelled?
Corey Konieczka wrote:
His card would be canceled. In general, all abilities use the printed values.
5. Eleanor played Rest (Draw up to 2 cards from the top of your rest pool or life pool). Do you choose how many cards you draw from each pool before drawing, or can you draw 1 from your life pool and then choose?
Corey Konieczka wrote:
You must choose before drawing.
6. A hero has 0 cards in his life pool and only 1 card in his hand. he plays Endure (Ranged, 3 attack , 0 defense, If your opponent is defeated this round, shuffle your rest pool and combat stack into your life pool). If the opponent is defeated, is the hero still defeated?
Corey Konieczka wrote:
The hero would be defeated.
7. Do you still get the bonus of Aimed Shot if a card has been removed from the combat stack using Ready or Shrewd Planning? In other words, does the condition of Aimed Shot check the current combat stack or the actual card that was played (even if it's not on the combat stack anymore)?
Corey Konieczka wrote:
Aimed shot refers to the card your opponent played last round, even if it is removed from the combat stack.
Cave Troll's ability: Roar - When you play a Ranged card, your opponent's Melee card is cancelled.

8. Cave Troll played a ranged card and the hero played Charge Charge (Melee, 2 attack, 0 defense, Cancel your opponent's Ranged Card). Do both cards get cancelled?
Corey Konieczka wrote:
Yes, both cards are canceled.
HealingAura wrote:
Some encounter cards give you an option of preventing damage by discarding cards with shield icons. For example, Fornost's "Deadmen's Dike" card deals 4 damage to your hero, but you can prevent that damage and if you do you get 2 favor and receive training. What will happen if you have no cards in your life pool, and by discarding cards from your hand to prevent the damage you will end up with 0 cards? Are you defeated and you don't get the favor and training?
Can you get the training and remain undefeated (since you got 1 card in hand now)? In case the hero does get the reward and is defeated: What happens if he had no favor or item? Does he lose a favor / item from the reward? Does he keep any received skill cards in hand from the reward, or he is required to shuffle it into the life pool?
Corey Konieczka wrote:
If the hero would be defeated by discarding these cards from hand, he does NOT receive the reward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.