Popular Tags: asljr_rsp [+] [View All]
michael dorazio
United States
tyngsboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just needed some clarification on this.

Good Order units can move to an adjacent hex during this phase. This is a "bonus" move that doesn't have anything to do with MF spent during the movement phase, correct? For example, a Good Order MMC could move four hexes during the Mph and then move to an adjacent building hex during the Advance Phase without incurring the wrath of CX, right? Since the building hex would theoretically only cost 2MF, the unit could move there during the Advance Phase. I just want to make sure that I should only be looking at a unit's potential maximum movement rate, not keeping track of how many MF were spent during the Mph, when considering the Advance Phase movement.

Thanks for the help. "Starter" Kit is a bit misleading, I gotta say. Although, I can't imagine trying to learn this game without said kit. Beginning right away with that binder has to be a nightmare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Drake
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
I like pizza!
badge
I LIKE IT!!! ????
mbmbmb
You are correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
cradleofmilk wrote:
Beginning right away with that binder has to be a nightmare.

It was difficult, yes. I learned the game using the full rules when ASL was first introduced, and without having ever played the original Squad Leader game.

What makes it possible at all is that the full rules include a VERY detailed "Advanced Sequence of Play" (ASOP) card. So you set up a scenario, and then look at the ASOP to see what happens:

"Let's see... start of the Rally Phase on turn one... first step: check for Wind Change." So then you reread the rules about Wind Change and figure out how to do that, and then you move on to the next item on the ASOP.

And a few hours later you've made it through the first turn, and it's actually starting to make some sense. Then you struggle through turn two, and it goes just a little bit easier and faster, etc.

(Of course, if you've read some of my other posts here, you'll realize that after 20 years I'm still making mistakes and learning rules that I've always overlooked!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael dorazio
United States
tyngsboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help! Here's some more queries:

1. What advantage is there to keeping a broken unit's DM status in 3.1 Rally Phase?

2. During 3.4 Defensive Fire Phase, Defending units without First or Final Fire counters may fire without penalty. I get that. Do these units now receive a First Fire counter (and possibly take another halved/doubled shot) or a Final Fire counter (skipping over the First Fire counter entirely)? I'm assuming the former, but I want to double check.

3. Within 3.1 Rally Phase I see this line: "There is no penalty for failing a rally attempt, unless the unit rolls an original 12, in which case it suffers casualty reduction." Within 3.2.1 Effects Phase I see this line: "an already broken unit that rolls and original 12 on a MC is eliminated." Okay, here's my question: Does an original 12 on a MC result in casualty reduction during a rally attempt but result in elimination during other phases?

Just finished my first full run of scenario one. The Germans ate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1. What advantage is there to keeping a broken unit's DM status in 3.1 Rally Phase?
There may be times where a broken unit in the previous turn wasn't able to rout to the location you would prefer (such as to a safe building/woods hex and/or a hex with a leader). By keeping the DM marker, you will have the opportunity (hopefully) to get them there. Otherwise, once they have the DM counter come off and they're still in the middle of a field or open space then they are stuck there until they rally (or until they get another DM marker placed on them through enemy fire or adjacent enemy movement, allowing them to scamble away again).

Quote:
2. During 3.4 Defensive Fire Phase, Defending units without First or Final Fire counters may fire without penalty. I get that. Do these units now receive a First Fire counter (and possibly take another halved/doubled shot) or a Final Fire counter (skipping over the First Fire counter entirely)? I'm assuming the former, but I want to double check.
Only one shot in the DFPh (and a unit with a First Fire counter from the MPh can only fire a Subsequent First Fire shot during the DFPh at a target in an adjacent hex). Also, there are times where you might deliberately wait for the chance to fire once in the DFPh rather than twice during the MPh (for example, if you think the enemy will congregate in one spot, you can fire on all of them at once during the DFPh at the expense, perhaps, of any negative DRMs that you could have used during the MPh....by First Firing in that hex in the MPh and leaving a residual, you may influence the other player to move elsewhere and spread his forces out...if a unit is assault moving into a building, for example, and you do not have a lot of FP, and you think the opponent will continue to move more units into that building, you may have a better chance of breaking a unit by waiting to fire upon the entire stack during the DFPh.))

Quote:
Does an original 12 on a MC result in casualty reduction during a rally attempt but result in elimination during other phases?
Yes. Remember, though, that an original 12 in a rally attempt would eliminate a HS (a HS doesn't casualty reduce).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael dorazio
United States
tyngsboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Way awesome. Thanks for the clarifications. I appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Haseler
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CLARIFICATION

3. Within 3.1 Rally Phase I see this line: "There is no penalty for failing a rally attempt, unless the unit rolls an original 12, in which case it suffers casualty reduction." Within 3.2.1 Effects Phase I see this line: "an already broken unit that rolls and original 12 on a MC is eliminated." Okay, here's my question: Does an original 12 on a MC result in casualty reduction during a rally attempt but result in elimination during other phases?

Remember that a Rally Attempt is not a Morale Check, though it is based on the current Morale of the broken unit.

A broken unit can roll DR12 as a Rally Attempt in the RPh;
a broken unit can roll a DR12 on a MC (with a different outcome).

In both cases, the DR12 causes Casualty Reduction, but in the case of the Morale Check DR12 by a broken unit, it is both automatic Casualty Reduction AND a MC failure while broken (so that unit suffers Casualty Reduction twice).

That is the reason for the 3.2.3 NMC definition which says 'an already broken unit which rolls an Original 12 on a MC is eliminated'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.