Summary:
Devil Dogs is a low-complexity solitaire board wargame about the
offensive of the American 2d Division in June 1918 against Belleau
Woods and surrounding areas. The player, controls the attacking
American (AEF) forces (primarily units of the 4th Marine Brigade, that
did most of the fighting in this area), while the German defenders are
handled by the game system.

Components:
Rulebook (also containing the paragraphs)
Map
Cardboard Counters and Markers

Approximate Playing Time: target is about 1h

The ideas I have for this game came from the work I did two years ago on a game that never made it past idea-phase for that year's solitaire competition: WIP Solitaire PnP Contest Operational Paragraphs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R.
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [Idea Phase] Solo PnP 2013 Paragraph-driven wargame that has no final name or theme yet
Great idea! I hope that you will be able to develop it fully this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [Idea Phase] Solo PnP 2013 Paragraph-driven wargame that has no final name or theme yet
This game will see heavy use of my script for formatting gamebooks (https://github.com/lifelike/gamebookformat) and I have some more specific mechanics and ideas, but not much to post about yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mjrobertson wrote:
Great idea! I hope that you will be able to develop it fully this time.

Thanks! I have spent over two years thinking about ways to do this and I think it will work this time. It will be more tactical than operational in scope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribed. Like the idea, looking forward to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a few hours yesterday and today to work on this project. Unlike my previous competition entries this one will even be based on a specific historic battle, rather than just some generic "blue vs red" kind of scenario. Having a real map and timeline of actual events is a big help when scripting the AI (although it will probably become a problem as well, when trying to figure out what to do when game state diverts too much from what happened in history).

For now I will just change the game title to a working title that should be clue enough what the theme is, but I need to go back to my books (including two ebooks I bought today) to learn more details about the battle. Have to give myself a few days of doing research before working more on the actual game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [Idea Phase] Solo PnP 2013: Devil Dogs (paragraph-driven wargame)
Phew. First draft of rulebook written, but likely to be updated a few times before posted here.

Now I really must get started on that map, but since it will be point-2-point movement I have some more reading to do first to know better what points to include. Also have to decide on exactly what area to include, but most likely it will be the complete area of operations for 2d division during the operation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First draft of a rulebook means this game will probably see the light! Huzzah!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

source
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phew. An almost complete rules rewrite.

This is the current introduction from the rulebook (not quite ready to be used as a summary of the game for the competition):

rulebook intro wrote:
Devil Dogs is a low-complexity solitaire board wargame about the
offensive of the American 2d Division in June 1918 against Belleau
Woods and surrounding areas. You, the player, controls the attacking
American (AEF) forces (primarily units of the 4th Marine Brigade, that
did most of the fighting in this area), while the German defenders
handled by the game system.

The original plan was to have the game playable without special counters, but now I think you will need the included countersheet. There will be a rather large number of support markers to use (representing all sorts of different force multiplier to throw in with assaults) and it will be much easier to play if all relevant information can be just printed on the counters instead of hidden away in rules or tables.

Many paragraphs remain to be written, but I think it will not take too much time now. Understanding my limits when it comes to writing (in English in particular) I will try to keep paragraphs short and without too much "story".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [Postponed] Solo PnP 2013/2014: Devil Dogs (paragraph-driven wargame)
Unfortunately I will not be able to complete this before the deadline this year. I made some very good progress with the rules and structure of the paragraphs, but if I complete all the paragraphs now it will not result in a good game. Need more time to get all the details right. Pnp solitaire contest 2014 is a more realistic goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [Postponed] Solo PnP 2013/2014: Devil Dogs (paragraph-driven wargame)
Flagged as wrong forum because it is a WIP.

Time to start working on this one. I have a prototype map I'm quite happy with (as far as prototype maps can make anyone happy... it's not publish-quality, just a prototype). Need to write paragraphs. Many paragraphs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Solo PnP 2014: Devil Dogs (paragraph-driven wargame)
pelni wrote:
Flagged as wrong forum because it is a WIP.

Time to start working on this one. I have a prototype map I'm quite happy with (as far as prototype maps can make anyone happy... it's not publish-quality, just a prototype). Need to write paragraphs. Many paragraphs.

Still subscribed and still looking forward to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lines42 wrote:
Hehe, as a German I was pretty confused when I saw the poster you posted in the contest thread because "Teufel Hunden" is just sooo misspelled
Here's a little note I found on the www:

The first thing any good student of German should notice about the poster is that the German word for "Devil Dogs" is misspelled. In German the term would not be two words, but one. The plural of Hund is Hunde, not "Hunden." So the poster and any Marine references to the German nickname should read Teufelshunde—one word with a connecting s. Most of the references I have found on the Web have the German incorrect in one way or another. Even the Marine Corps' own Parris Island Museum has it wrong. Since the museum's founding in 1975, the sign on display there has read "Teuelhunden" rather than the correct "Teufelshunde."

Thought I'd let you know. If you want to use the german term throughout the game you might want to use the right spelling

Good luck!

I don't use the German word (or that poster image) at all in my game. The word is so wrong it is obvious even to me with my limited German skills that it is wrong. Also not only is the language bit wrong, it was probably not a name the Germans used about the Americans anyway (or at least as far as I know there is no evidence that they did?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very glad to see this game entered again! Looking forward to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How is your game coming along? Any updates you can share?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only minor updates, but I'm accelerating now. Simplified some rules a bit, and improved the ways paragraphs are written for resolving assaults (followed directly from simplifying assault rules).

There will be no specific support units in the game, only generic support points (and gas support points, but use of gas is likely to make the Germans retaliate like they did historically). This simplifies things a lot both for me an the player.

Good news is that game will require no construction, just 1-2 sheets to print (depending on what files are downloaded; I have a few different versions) and some wooden cubes (or whatever tokens you prefer).

I don't think the rules will need to change much more, but they are in the same PDF as the paragraphs, so I want those to be much more complete before I post any files.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update! I'm looking forward to try this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I changed my mind about the combat mechanics again a few days ago, started writing paragraphs in that style, but I have not yet modified the written rules to reflect how the game works now, plus there are a huge number of paragraphs to complete and the deadline is not far away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules updated, tracks added for tracking losses etc. But it just does not seem like a very fun game to play. Can't figure out how to include any kind of meaningful decisions, and can't motivate myself to write the remaining 100+ more paragraphs needed. Don't expect this to be completed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pelni wrote:
Rules updated, tracks added for tracking losses etc. But it just does not seem like a very fun game to play. Can't figure out how to include any kind of meaningful decisions, and can't motivate myself to write the remaining 100+ more paragraphs needed. Don't expect this to be completed.

Bummer!

It seems like you could make interesting tactical choices--where to attack, where to hold the line, where to retreat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
Lines of Battle: Quatre Bras 1815. Brunswick hussar.
mbmbmbmbmb
pelni wrote:
Keep at it. Try designing from the desired result back and see if you can get what you want that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yes i often run into the "it works but it seems dull" type of game myself. keep at it in your own time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig H
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep at it! PLEASE! Submit next year, we want to see what you make! We can wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the support everyone. We'll see what happens next (year).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls