Tim Synge
United Kingdom
NEWTON ABBOT
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Go get 'em, Floyd.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just received a copy of the second edition of Caylus in the post today. It's from a UK mail order supplier and here's the interesting thing: there is no evidence of Rio Grande involvement at all. The external box logos are those of Ystari and "Esdevium Games" and the rules make no reference to Rio Grande either. Before you ask, yes, the box lid has the new artwork and yes, the coins are card not plastic.

So it seems as if the "republishing" approach adopted by Rio Grande for English-speaking markets may have just become a little more fragmented than previously. Two different English language editions of the same game at the same time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Cauet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well Rio Grande takes care of the boxes for the US, so why a Rio Grande logo when you order the box in UK.
For France, only Ystari logo and on the back a "Trictrac d'or" logo, which is specific to the french version.
It's not fragmented: Ystari is the publisher, and depending on the country and language, there are agreements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben .
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well - the thing is - for English language, the rest of the world normally gets Rio Grande versions too. Unfortunately, I believe this means that the games are typically shipped from country of production to the USA and then on to the other appropriate countries.

It was my understanding that these increased distribution costs were the cause of the incredibly high prices for English-language games in places like the UK, Australia, etc.

If Esdevium have now picked up direct distribution for some games, this could be very good news for the UK market, as it means that the distribution costs should be lower and puts Esdevium in an excellent poisition to bring the prices down and potentially increase market reach for these games in the UK! Hurrah!

Of course, I might be wrong!

PS. I remember one incident where I placed an order with an online shop in the SW of the UK once. When the box arrived, it was clearly re-packaged from an Esdevium (the leading UK games distributor) box. This meant that some of my games had been:
(a) produced in Germany, here in Europe
(b) shipped to Rio Grande in the US
(c) shipped to the UK to Esdevium (not 10 miles from where I live)
(d) shipped to the online company in the SW
(e) finally sent to me!
Phew!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Synge
United Kingdom
NEWTON ABBOT
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Go get 'em, Floyd.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben's observations in response to the comment made by Thomas are helpful in clarifying my original posting. We are familiar in the UK with getting Rio Grande badged editions - ie exactly the same product as the US market gets. I don't think there have been any games prior to this second edition of Caylus where there has been a Rio Grande edition for North America and a separate English language edition for the UK.

Snooze_uk wrote:
If Esdevium have now picked up direct distribution for some games, this could be very good news for the UK market, as it means that the distribution costs should be lower and puts Esdevium in an excellent poisition to bring the prices down and potentially increase market reach for these games in the UK! Hurrah!

I didn't name the supplier originally in case it looked as if I was advertising, but following Ben's comments I think it is appropriate to do so. It is The Games Store www.tgs.co.uk and they are offering a substantial discount against list price (£27.99 instead of £34.99) for this second edition. So it may be that Ben's analysis is spot on. Let's hope so! This would actually make RGG's US recommended price of $50 (OK - $49.95) seem steep, which is unusual. Oddly, the Games Store describe this edition as "Rio Grande", which technically is not the case!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben .
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim Synge wrote:
....they are offering a substantial discount against list price (£27.99 instead of £34.99) for this second edition....

Actually - I think we have a new list price for the 2nd edition. The first edition was RRP £34.99, the 2nd edition seems to be listed as £27.99 RRP everywhere.

This means that some of the discounters have it even lower (£24.49 at Games Lore, £26.75 at The Games Player, etc.).

Sorry to Jay if he's losing some of the market, but GREAT JOB, Esdevium!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Goddard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because every thread under Caylus becomes a discussion about replacement coines, I wonder who we contact for replacements when we have the Ystari version and not the Rio Grande one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Cauet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim Synge wrote:
Ben's observations in response to the comment made by Thomas are helpful in clarifying my original posting. We are familiar in the UK with getting Rio Grande badged editions - ie exactly the same product as the US market gets. I don't think there have been any games prior to this second edition of Caylus where there has been a Rio Grande edition for North America and a separate English language edition for the UK.

OK now I understand the difference: I didn't imagine that the box will "fly" to the US then come back to the UK. Depending of the market size and will of distributors, there have been specific versions of Caylus I guess (German, Finnish, French with Trictrac logo, UK, US).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Cauet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mgoddard wrote:
Because every thread under Caylus becomes a discussion about replacement coines, I wonder who we contact for replacements when we have the Ystari version and not the Rio Grande one?

The easiest way is to contact the distributor of your own country (Rio Grande for Canada?) because it is easier to handle. I read on a french forum that coins will be sent to the "Valet de coeur" in Quebec for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Synge
United Kingdom
NEWTON ABBOT
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Go get 'em, Floyd.
mbmbmbmbmb
mgoddard wrote:
Because every thread under Caylus becomes a discussion about replacement coines

Er, well, I can see who was responsible for that here.

Quote:
I wonder who we contact for replacements when we have the Ystari version and not the Rio Grande one?

Have you tried Ystari?

I'll put my hand up and say that, on occasions, I have gone to a different publisher to obtain a part that was missing on removal from shrinkwrap. I haven't felt my conscience nagging at me about this - I always offer to pay postage and the European publishers have never taken me up on this. For example, last week, Alea very kindly send me a replacement Baumeister for my copy of Palazzo, even though it was Rio Grande who had failed to pack one originally! I guess I just decided it would be far quicker/easier to get one from the European publisher rather than RGG. The big German publishers are second-to-none in this regard. For the average gamer in the UK, this is a breath of fresh air.

In contrast, my last conversation with Hasbro to try and get some replacment dice for Risk 2210 was absolutley futile. Apparently they don't carry any spares for this game in the whole of the UK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.