Subject: Online Turn Based rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Sawyer
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a place to play this online, but turned based by e-mail instead of real-time? Or does anyone feel like designing one? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
badge
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
mbmbmbmbmb
And I thought you will tell us... whistle

Could you please add a question mark if you have a question?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Punk Rock
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Years ago, I created an online version of the game for fun as a pet project using Google AppEngine. It's not by e-mail, but you can log back into it at any time and continue as it stores your game state and never times out.

You need a Google account to play. It's not very polished but its functional. I apologise if there's any bugs! modest

http://punk.appspot.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nik holliday
United Kingdom
Appin
Argyll & Bute
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I`ve started a 4 player game off. I expect I`ll be waiting forever for the other 3 players!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
I tried to join it but "Sorry, the game you selected no longer exists" even when it clearly does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Punk Rock
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh dear. It was years ago that I wrote it and it looks like I added some sort of timeout on the lobby. I'll have a quick look tonight to see if I can remedy the situation.

Apologies if I got anyone's hopes up modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Punk Rock
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no timeout, just a bug that crept in with the changes to AppEngine over years. Should be fixed now.

I've removed the bogus games that were there too.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Joined fine now, thanks.

Now to wait a few years for 2 more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Punk Rock
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're in a 2 player game - it's your turn :-)

Edit: unfortunately, it's bedtime here in the UK so the first auction will have to wait until tomorrow. You can still pick your starting professions though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Noted.

Just leaving work for the day, but will be attentive tomorrow.

Added: email notification would be handy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Punk Rock
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just had a look at the documentation and I could send e-mail notifications. However, I'm only signed up to the free AppEngine, so this is restricted to 100 emails per day, so I'd have to be quite sparing with them. Maybe send them if the next player's last activity was more than an hour or so ago?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
I picked my occupations yesterday, but just noticed that it seems to be waiting for me to pick my occupations

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Punk Rock
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah sorry about that. Techy bit: It see,s to still be misbehaving. I've looked at the data store and it looks like you picked the professions. I've just flushed the memcache and that's kicked it into life again.

Alas I can't guarantee that there won't be more issues with the keys I'm using between the data store and the memcache. Basically, when I get some time I need to go through some thorough play tests to iron out all these creases.

Sorry if I got your hopes up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Punk Rock
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok. I've spent some time this weekend beefing up the code and I've tested it a number of times (played games from start to finish) and it seems to be working again. There could still be the odd issue lurking, but I won't see that until I have different game sessions in progress.

So, if there's anyone left that's interested, give it a shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Oh it's expected :-)

I've set up a new game just in case...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Punk Rock
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just joined it (with a friend) so its good to go...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Bug report. I backed out of purchasing a building and my money was still gone. FYI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Might be a little late for this thread but I'll mention it anyway in case some people are still looking for a good answer.
I used to play PoF by email on the website called For Whom the Web Rocks:
http://www.fwtwr.com/fwtwr
It worked pretty well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.