Subject: Translation of a game rules on other languages rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrii Krokhmalnyi
Ukraine
Lviv
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made my own translation of Dixit game rules. I used the original PDF file and basically changed only text inside it.

Are there any restrictions w.r.t. law and copyright to put this translation in BGG file storage, so it will be available to everybody? I really need this information because I would like to do more translations.

Thanks a lot for help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best would be to check with the publisher or the designer, if someone from them is here on BGG...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Benjamin
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish there were more translations into Turkish. English rules concepts are very difficult to convey to new gamers with ESL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrii Krokhmalnyi
Ukraine
Lviv
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I am gonna try to find them if any. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had good luck when asking for permission to publish Finnish translations of rules. However, I've only published text, not the original PDF files with new text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
zlosny wrote:
Are there any restrictions w.r.t. law and copyright to put this translation in BGG file storage, so it will be available to everybody? I really need this information because I would like to do more translations.

Yes. What you have done is a violation of copyright if it was done without the permission of the copyright holder.

"A translation is a derivative work, and only the copyright owner can authorize a translation that will be distributed. ... Derivative works are infringing if they are not created with the permission of the copyright holder. ... Posting something on the Internet is the equivalent of publishing the work. Absent permission from the owner of the copyright in the article, posting is infringement."
from http://www.translatorsbase.com/articles/42.aspx

Whether or not anyone objects is another matter entirely. Like the others say, ask.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrii Krokhmalnyi
Ukraine
Lviv
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now the situation is quite clear for me. Thanks again. I hope I'll succeed in this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.