Subject: Netrunner without the deck building? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean Hunt
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
This game looks awesome, and I am very keen to teach it to my girlfriend. I suspect she will enjoy the game, but she doesn't seem the type to do anything outside of playing it... so that means no deck building, combo creations etc.

Is it still well worth a purchase?

Will she still really enjoy it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
The game is fun out of the box and I expect around 12-14 plays before you decide the pre-built deck suck and are imbalanced and you could do better.

To me, that's not enough value but the average user of this site doesn't play his games twice, much less a dozen times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Hunt
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Many thanks... I am hoping that is she gets to 12-14 plays then she will want to try some deck building.

Fingers crossed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jones
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
A possible alternative is, if you really like deckbuilding, that you build a bunch of decks, offer her a choice of 2, say, and if she doesn't like one or part of one, you modify it a little for her. The only thing you'd lose is the element of surprise, since you know what each card in the deck is. The other option is, if the GF isn't into it, you find other Netrunner enthusiasts in your area and play against them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Count Ringworm
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about this a little bit too- I can't see my wife really being into the deckbuilding aspect (assuming I can get her to play it regularly at all, which is another topic...)

I thought maybe one way of adding the 'element of surprise' that this game really depends on would be creating "pods" kind of like star wars- groups of 3-4 cards that sort of support a theme/mechanism/idea, and randomly, blindly selecting a few of these to tack onto a 'backbone' deck.

That keeps a little bit of surprise, at least. Just a working idea in progress at this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Tse
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lots of people "say" they're not into deck building….til they try and it and they become quite into it. Its part of the play experience.

The thing I have done in past is, you ask the person "what did you not like about that deck?"

then get your cards out and change things WITH them…get them engaged in the process. Also, you could say "so what sorta player do you think you are?" and build a deck WITH them. I find that helps introduce the topic gently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually think that the prebuilt decks offer a ton of replayability and would happily keep playing those....except that I discovered that building your own decks is awesome. Awesome, but very timeconsuming. If you don't want to spend that much time on it, you can still get plenty of fun out of the prebuilt decks. If/when you get sick of those you could just grab a few builds off the net and try those out for variability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Perry
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
Woot!
badge
I have overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say that the core has much more that 12-14 plays. There are 24 unique games to be had, and each of these can definitely be played a few times IMO.

The core decks "suck" only in comparison to the decks you could construct. If you con't deckbuild, how can you possibly know they suck?

Deck construction is only intimidating when you give someone a new game and say "build some decks". Just play the core decks until she says "I don't really like this card". Ask her what card from another deck she would rather have, make the switch...that's the beginning of deckbuilding!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron s
msg tools
Keep in mind, the people who only play casually, are not really the people on this forum. My Girlfriend enjoys the game. She eventually tried her hand at deck building ,but its usually a combination of her doing it by herself and with my handing her decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Keys
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Interrupt.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend really enjoys the game, but hasn't wanted to do deck-building. We played around a dozen times with the pre-made decks, but she started to get a little bored of them. I urged her to try playing with some of my decks, and that's when the game really came to life for her. She is now hooked, and recently, has even started thinking about cards she would want to swap out in the decks I've built for her in order to make it fit her play style more, or try new ideas. I would highly recommend going this route, giving her a deck and explaining some of the interactions within it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is honestly exactly my thinking. The game is excellent, but with just a core set and core decks, it gets unexciting quickly. Throw in many new cards that already exist plus ongoing new releases, and I'm hooked as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.