Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Puram
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
Let's meet up for games and coffee!
badge
Golden... As in Oldie! I'm new to the Portland area and looking for gamers to game with and new gaming groups to join! I'm 50+ and like most games but do have a special affinity for dry, cube pushing euros!
mbmbmbmbmb
I REALLY like euro games. My collection is filled with euro games. I have really liked some hybrid games like Eclipse, Kemet and even Spartacus and am wondering if I'm missing some great games by ignoring most thematic games.

So what I am looking for are some recommendations of non-euro games that might still appeal to someone who tends to love the strategy in dry "boring" euros and hates games driven by lots of luck and unmitigated dice rolling.

I'm not even sure if this question makes sense but appreciate any input or recommendations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out this geek list:

Bridging the gap between euro and Ameritrash

Some highlights:

Yedo
Eclipse
Seasons
Cyclades
Ninjato
Clash of Cultures
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schwartzkopf
United States
Orange
CA
flag msg tools
admin
badge
The science of history is a great bulwark against the stream of Time; in a way it checks this irresistible flood, it holds in a tight grasp whatever it can seize floating on the surface and will not allow it to slip away into the depths of oblivion
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a Euro gamer and Star Trek: Fleet Captains really REALLY works for me. Random things happen, you roll some dice, but for some reason it doesn't piss me off as much as it does in other games wit ha heavy luck component.

There are plenty of decisions to be made still - hand management, action point allowances, figuring out what power settings to use to balance what offense and defense....And it's VERY thematic. Really feels like a season of Star Trek.

We have very similar tastes just looking at your ratings, so I'm not saying that it's a slam dunk that you'll like it, but give it a look for sure. Especially if you even have passing interest or knowledge of Star Trek (although I'm not positive it's required to enjoy the game, but it helps)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) - It's long, it's epic, and it's hard to get to the table. But if you have the right crowd, it's golden for what you want. I'm a Euro guy, but I crave plays of this incessantly because of the way all its Euro parts come together and make a brilliant, trashy, hell-of-a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyclades
Cosmic encounter

You could also try some of the LCG's

Lord of the Rings
Netrunner
Star Wars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Primordial Soup
Civilization
TurfMaster
Fearsome Floors
Kremlin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Mölleken
Germany
45147 Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you love Euros and you already enjoy Kemet I'll add another vote for Cyclades! I think you might really enjoy its auction mechanic.

Mage Knight Board Game might also be a good choice. It doesn't look much like a Euro, it's very thematic but I think anyone who loves complex Euro games will love this game for it's great design. It has a great combination of mechanisms and the combat is deterministic which seems like a plus in your case.

If you can get six players to the table you should also look at A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition). If you don't use the optional Tides of Battle cards then the combat works entirely without luck elements. It's a great strategic negotiation game. It doesn't work well without the full set of six players though so it doesn't see the table often in my gaming groups.

Then there are some games which I'd call thematic Euros. They have great theme which is very well implemented but at their core they are still Euro games. Archipelago, Dungeon Lords and Dungeon Petz come to mind here.

Small World and Libertalia are some more games with very little influence of luck. They are lighter than my other recommendations but also very enjoyable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Life is a lamp-flame before a wind.
msg tools
badge
mu
mbmbmbmbmb
Diplomacy. Luck factor zero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Daniel
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are ok with a lot more direct conflict,

Tammany Hall or Dominant Species

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schwartzkopf
United States
Orange
CA
flag msg tools
admin
badge
The science of history is a great bulwark against the stream of Time; in a way it checks this irresistible flood, it holds in a tight grasp whatever it can seize floating on the surface and will not allow it to slip away into the depths of oblivion
mbmbmbmbmb
He wants non-euros...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Some 'next steps' on the way to thematic games:
Bent on Euro: Discworld:Ankh-Morpork, Small World / Small World: Underground.
Bent on Theme: Core Worlds (with Galactic Orders expansion)

All have euroish elements, but the theme integrates well with the game mechanisms.

(Edit: And all play with 2 players almost as well as with 3 and 4.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My previous recommendation may have been a bit of a jump (although I still think it's marvelous if you can pull it off). Here are a few "non-Euros" that I have enjoyed as a true Euro gamer:

Claustrophobia
Cosmic Encounter
Gears of War: The Board Game
Space Hulk (third edition)
Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation
Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)
Shadow Hunters
Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Struggle

Android

Legends of Andor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Legends of Andor
This smells of Euro to me.
Puzzle-like.

+1 Small World / Small World Underground
Simple, simple game of pure awesomeness.
But maybe this is an Euro? It is cute, but does that a thematic game make?

Also, Ghost Stories.
Someone called it an Euro, but well, you are killing exorcising things, nasty things that want to kill you...

Maybe Rune Age? Or maybe it is too simple.
There is a deck-management (deckbuilding during the game) aspect, but the point of the game is deciding when to attack the other players end when to prepare a defense.
4 scenarios: kill other players, race to kill an enemy, race for money, and co-op.

Race for the Galaxy, but maybe the random component in this is a bit too much?
(Here you must ride the randomness of card drawing.)

EDIT: uhm, you could take a look at this: Nightfall
Maybe it would work.

HTH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Puram
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
Let's meet up for games and coffee!
badge
Golden... As in Oldie! I'm new to the Portland area and looking for gamers to game with and new gaming groups to join! I'm 50+ and like most games but do have a special affinity for dry, cube pushing euros!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the links and all of the great suggestions. I'm very much into epic 4 hour plus games but at my age with my lifestyle (family) I'll never get those games in. But some of the shorter ones look very interesting and I've already got a new short list of games to check out. Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Plante
United States
Greenville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Survive: Escape from Atlantis!

I'm serious.
This is a really fun, confrontational game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.