Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cory C.
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmb
In a recent game of samurai I played with my group, we had a scenario that didn't seem to be covered in the rules come up.

After someone played a figure switch tile, we ended up with a Rice field figure surrounded on land by 2 High helmet tiles. In this case, there is 0 influence on the figure but the rules demand that it be taken from the board. There were two results we could think of:

A. In the lack of any relevant influence, the player with the higher Helment influence should get the figure.
B. Both players are tied at 0 influence, the figure is placed next to the board.

However, if B is true, does that mean if a player surrounds, for example, the only two spaces around a rice figure with helmet tiles, does he get the figure?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Herms
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
B. Both players are tied at 0 influence, the figure is placed next to the board.

The rules are clear to me on this point. Figures are awarded when they are surrounded. I this case there is no appropriate influence so it gets placed beside the board.

Quote:
However, if B is true, does that mean if a player surrounds, for example, the only two spaces around a rice figure with helmet tiles, does he get the figure?

There is still no appropriate influence. A rice paddy cannot be won with high helmets so to the side of the board it goes.

With Knizia never try to read something into the rules, they are generally well thought out and straight forward. If it doesn't say it, don't do it.

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(Chuck Singer)
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Are you allowed to switch a figure with an empty spot?

Also,
I agree that when influence is tied at 0, the figure must leave the board, such as when a rice field is surrounded by two different players buddha tiles. But what if a rice field is surrounded by two buddha tiles from the same player? I could argue that the one player has an influence of zero and the other players have an influence of null, which is different than zero.

I know, I'm just trying to stir up an argument, but its fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kidd
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Chuck Singer wrote:

No - I think this is pretty clear.

Chuck Singer wrote:
But what if a rice field is surrounded by two buddha tiles from the same player? I could argue that the one player has an influence of zero and the other players have an influence of null, which is different than zero.
That would be a pretty poor argument. Everyone has zero influence over peasantry. There is no "null" - which would mean undetermined or irrelevant - it is zero or more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tang
Malaysia
KL
WP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to restate this. You may only take a figure if you have at least 1 matching tile. If no one has a matching tile, the figure is removed from the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
servbot wrote:
In a recent game of samurai I played with my group, we had a scenario that didn't seem to be covered in the rules come up.

After someone played a figure switch tile, we ended up with a Rice field figure surrounded on land by 2 High helmet tiles.

I'm curious how this even happened, unless you incorrectly used the figure switch tile to move the rice figure to an empty spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chuck Singer wrote:

no. If you think about it, an empty spot means that spot has already been completely surrounded by land with tokens, hence why the figure(s) tghere were removed. If u were to put a figure back on there, there would be no approach since tokens can't be placed on top of existing tokens

Chuck Singer wrote:
Also,
I agree that when influence is tied at 0, the figure must leave the board, such as when a rice field is surrounded by two different players buddha tiles. But what if a rice field is surrounded by two buddha tiles from the same player? I could argue that the one player has an influence of zero and the other players have an influence of null, which is different than zero.

one has 0 influence and one has null influence?? In likes of computer science or programming, null is very different from 0. But this is a straight up board game, NOT C++ nor Java. You seem to be TOO wrapped around this. But yeah, influence strictly influences the types they're supposed to. Political candidate A says he's gonna enact a law decrease taxes on luxury boats to a landlocked people while political candidate B does nothing, did candidate A really influence that region of poeple?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.