5 Posts

Star Trek: Fleet Captains» Forums » General

Subject: The Text is Correct on All Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lieutenant Jason
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The FAQ says the text is correct on all cards in Star Trek Fleet Captains, but actually we can find a couple of small mistakes. Something more insignificant would be spelling, but the mistake of note would be the wrong mission listed for a ship.

Which ship is that? How do you know? If you look at the text on a ship card, you can know, in many cases, what its mission speciality should be. But sometimes the stats of a card may give a clue as well, especially since some cards do not have any special text.

The ship is the Qhondoq. The evidence is as follows:

You are supposed to be able to play to 38VP. That means using all of the ships and missions in the base game. But if you do that, the missions do not come out right. You need 26 Combat missions and 25 Influence missions, but there are only 25 Combat missions and 26 Influence missions.

The text on the Qhondoq indicates it is to receive a bonus for taking an influence action.

Finally, the Qhondoq is listed as being a combat ship (since it has a combat mission). But there is nothing about the Qhondoq that makes it a great combat ship. All its stats are normal and it is one of the smallest ships. Are there any other Size 1 ships that are combat ships? No. The only Size 1 ship that is truly better in combat is the Equinox, which has extra shielding as a bonus.

So, the FAQ should say: The Qhondoq is incorrectly listed as having a combat mission. It should have an influence mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lieutenant Jason wrote:
(snip) So, the FAQ should say: The Qhondoq is incorrectly listed as having a combat mission. It should have an influence mission.

I'm not going to argue either side of this, but I do want to point out a part of the game design which you may have overlooked. There is also statement in the FAQ which basically mentions that VP awards on some cards are deliberately unbalanced with respect to their difficulty. The VPs are intended to represent the urgency the mission represent according to the in-game command authority. (i.e. delivering a grain shipment to an outpost sounds easy and trivial, but when you learn that developing the nearby colony is key point in a diplomatic treaty, the urgency becomes very high.) The point here is that you're looking at the situation in an overly logical way that may not necessarily apply.

Given that the Qhondoq does not appear anywhere in the Trek canon, we don't really know what the history of the ship is. Perhaps it was a small vessel designed for diplomatic use but its orders were changed when the vessel was launched due to extenuating circumstances. Gos se like this happens in the real world all the time.

I will admit though, the mission count analysis you give seems pretty convincing. I've noticed other places in the game where text just seems strangely incongruous and have often wondered if the "text is correct" is more of a CYA move on Wizkids part. However, even so I would also point out a strictly logical possibility that you seem to have discounted. Accepting that a typo happened, how do you know the misprint is on the ship? Maybe one of the influence missions was mistyped and should have been a combat mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
"The text is correct" != "The game is well designed"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercutio Wycliffe
msg tools
mbmbmb
I think the Qhondoq is meant to be the Klingon ship from the pilot episode of Enterprise. I don't recall whether that ship was actually named.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TribbleOfBorg wrote:
I think the Qhondoq is meant to be the Klingon ship from the pilot episode of Enterprise. I don't recall whether that ship was actually named.

Not named. I'm not a savvy enough Trekker to know if the ship in the episode and the ship in the game are even the same class. (Also, I only ever watched one episode of Enterprise and I was thoroughly bored so....)

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/QhonDoq

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Broken_Bow_(episode)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.