Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
39 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: What do you think is the absolute meanest (makes people very angry) game ever? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wesley Jones
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
I love co-ops but I was just wondering what the other end of the spectrum might be in your opinion. Number of players, game mechanics, length of time--none of that matters to me for this specific question. Just curious what all of you might consider to be the absolute best game to make people cry or flaming mad and they tip the table over, curse and rant and hate everyone and everything (if such a game exists. Yes, I realize any game can be that way if you're playing with a hot head. But in general, what do you think?)
I don't want to buy or play any such game, by the way, just asking out of curiosity and discussion.
I've read that Babel might be it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Leidich
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, somebody is going to mention knife fights as a result of a game of Diplomacy so I guess it might as well be me. ninja
26 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Intrigue. Sure, Diplomacy has more meanness, but the game takes vastly longer to play; Intrige has a lot more meanness per minute.
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Iordache
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Never played it myself, but many consider Intrigue one of the meanest games out there devil

Edit: ninja'd by Dan Blum ninja
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan B.
United States
Shelby Township
MI
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
3 come to mind for me personally.

Risk - Just your basic "I'm going to take you over because I can" feel.

Lifeboats - No other game I've played has that "What did I do to you!" type reaction to it. It's fantastic at what it does and that is basically screwing over people for no reason.

Family Business - Form your alliance early or pay the consequences. This is a pretty solid "gang up on people" type game.

P.S. I love these games.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
For a recent game, you can get the same effect from Vanuatu...Game is a friend killer.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Roma and Arena: Roma II
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:


?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Diplomacy?

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Olcese
Argentina
Córdoba
Córdoba
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels, thinks about assassinated three times in a row.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tool wrote:
Intrigue. Sure, Diplomacy has more meanness, but the game takes vastly longer to play; Intrige has a lot more meanness per minute.


I contend that taking longer makes it meaner. It's a lot more brutal when someone undoes the plans you've been setting up for 4 hours (or 4 months for internet games) with one well timed backstab (almost inevitably the turn before you were going to stab them).
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lolcese wrote:
Citadels, thinks about assassinated three times in a row.


I think you are confusing "meanness" with "poor game design".
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
For a recent game, you can get the same effect from Vanuatu...Game is a friend killer.

Yup. We had one person stomp off and leave, and another person almost cry. On separate occasions. Now that some time has passed, we may need to break it out again.

The best part about it is that you can absolutely crush someone all the way maintaining plausible deniability of malicious intent. "Did I just destroy your plans? Oops, sorry! I was just getting the stuff I need..."
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old Gamer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
lolcese wrote:
Citadels, thinks about assassinated three times in a row.


I think you are confusing "meanness" with "poor game design".

But it's not poor game design. If you got assassinated 3 times in a row, you were the victim of one of:
Terrible luck
Being bad at citadels
Cheating/collusion between other players

It can be a mean game, but it's a well designed one.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Monopoly. No other game generates so many varieties of anger, especially in women. My wife will never play this game. Ever. For any reason. And apparently she's not alone.

In Monopoly, you can have:
1. Anger at people who won't make deals
2. Anger at people who make "stupid deals", in your opinion
3. Anger at people who wipe you out of the game
4. Anger at getting stuck with the Iron
5. Anger at the game that just won't end so you all can move on to something else, and finally
6. Anger at the fact that the game took too long and the remaining players decided to quit, so you spent all day angering each other and nobody even got to win.
11 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


Got to be Game of Thrones. Especially playing with folks who may not know each other. Whooo....Fun times.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Monopoly.
There are times when it doesn't end in an argument or someone in a huff of some sort?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dannydeuce wrote:
Lifeboats - No other game I've played has that "What did I do to you!" type reaction to it. It's fantastic at what it does and that is basically screwing over people for no reason.


Love this game. It's especially good when the person you screw over last turn becomes your best ally this turn.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to go with Diplomacy, but I've never personally witnessed bad blood over that game.

But we did have a gamer in our group refuse to play anything with us ever again after participating in a game of Illuminati: Deluxe Edition.

Everyone else took the lying, cheating, and backstabbing in stride, but he didn't believe that sort of thing should ever be allowed in a game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Galliher-Miller
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/228/lunch-money

Lunch Money is one of the most BRUTAL card games out there IMHO. I've seen people just straight get up and leave after a demeaning HUMILIATION card lol. Super fun though, just have to have the stomach...or balls for it buahahahaha
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genghis Ahn
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Sometimes You Are Wrong !
badge
Coolest Promo Ever ! Stonewall Lives
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Diplomacy has ended friendships.

Bridge has ended marriages.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Ultimate Werewolf can be pretty brutal.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Dudley
United States
Simpsonville
SC
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of curiosity, has anyone played both Lifeboat and Lifeboats? If you have you would please explain the differences in the meanness and which is more mean in your opinion? Both appeared in the same geeklist about nasty games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galaad Maal
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bird94us wrote:
Monopoly. No other game generates so many varieties of anger, especially in women. My wife will never play this game. Ever. For any reason. And apparently she's not alone.

In Monopoly, you can have:
1. Anger at people who won't make deals
2. Anger at people who make "stupid deals", in your opinion
3. Anger at people who wipe you out of the game
4. Anger at getting stuck with the Iron
5. Anger at the game that just won't end so you all can move on to something else, and finally
6. Anger at the fact that the game took too long and the remaining players decided to quit, so you spent all day angering each other and nobody even got to win.


You missed:
7. Anger that the game exists, and it's the first thing people think of when they think boardgames.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.