Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We received our copy July 30th and immediately opened it, read the rules and played. We were both very excited about the game as we love asymmetric play. I chose to be the Guardian and my husband played the Hero. After only a few turns, I felt the game was completely stacked against me and that the Guardian was the tougher role to play.

For the first half of the game, my husband Ventured into every room. You’d think this would be good for me, but I only captured 2 adventurers. 1 did not roll very often and I only captured 2 adventurers. And he was able to go through rooms faster than I could add to them. Two actions did not feel like it was enough to compete with his 6, sometimes 7 actions (if he held over one action point from the previous round).

When I was finally getting some locations to have two rooms, albeit most with a vacant room, that’s when he started to scout first. At this point, he had several high-level adventurers and some items. So even when he did roll 1, he had enough bonuses to prevent capture. And with scouting, he could then just Venture into the rooms with the appropriate adventurer and succeed easily.

I tried several times to re-arrange, but it never seemed to help as he cut through the middle and made almost every room accessible from map points so I never knew where to reinforce because he’d just go somewhere else. I certainly felt helpless most of the game. In the end, he got the Treasure Vault and won 22 points to my 7.

While I am trying to be optimistic and will play it again with the roles switched, I have a feeling that this game will be decided by who the better player is and whether they're playing the side that is right for their play style. A Hero on the offensive will do very well while a Hero armoring up and taking it slowly will not. This will determine how easy or hard the game will be for the Guardian.

Personally, I felt the Guardian should have at least one more action point. Two was never enough, but I felt three would have probably been good. Depending on how the next several games go, we may house rule it to even the playing field.

I also do not understand why half the starting dungeon rooms are vacant and many give bonuses to the Hero. What lame Guardian would create rooms that are beneficial for the enemy?! It doesn’t make thematic sense to me. I personally think that all the rooms should have been a challenge for the Hero, but then we’ll see if I say the same thing when I play as the Hero.

Component-wise, I really like the light-hearted art, but really wish the rooms were tiles and not cards. It was hard to pick them up sometimes so I could see what was where. Maybe in a future deluxe version.

So I am not yet sure how I feel about the game, but it is not an immediate hit for me. Hopefully it will grow on me as we play more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hayley K
United States
Willimantic
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SilvaShado wrote:
For the first half of the game, my husband Ventured into every room. You’d think this would be good for me, but I only captured 2 adventurers. 1 did not roll very often and I only captured 2 adventurers.

Question: Were you only capturing an adventurer taking a Venture if a 1 was rolled? Because on a Venture, any roll that fails means the adventure is captured. It's only for Scouting that capturing only happens on a 1.

This may be why the game was so unbalanced for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hayleyscomet wrote:
SilvaShado wrote:
For the first half of the game, my husband Ventured into every room. You’d think this would be good for me, but I only captured 2 adventurers. 1 did not roll very often and I only captured 2 adventurers.

Question: Were you only capturing an adventurer taking a Venture if a 1 was rolled? Because on a Venture, any roll that fails means the adventure is captured. It's only for Scouting that capturing only happens on a 1.

This may be why the game was so unbalanced for you.

Um... If I remember correctly, he didn't fail except when rolling a 1. So all those ventures were successful. He rolled really high and had heroes that were good against the rooms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.