Subject: Which versions are compatible with Kosmos 4th edition seafarers? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Old Gamer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted this previously in the Seafarers forum with no response, thought here might be more appropriate.

So, I've had Settlers of Catan: Gallery Edition for a while, chopped the tiles to allow more variety. I saw Seafarers in a charity shop the other day and bought it without thinking. I appear to have bought the Kosmos 4th edition (German) - dated 2002, has 6 edge pieces, 19 water, 11 land tiles. These are (predictably) not compatible.

What do I (minimally) need to buy to have a full set of catan + seafarers? I assume there is no version that expands the gallery edition of catan, so I'll need to get my hands on a different version of the base game. Which version(s)?

Thanks for reading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
old_gamer wrote:
I posted this previously in the Seafarers forum with no response, thought here might be more appropriate.

So, I've had Settlers of Catan: Gallery Edition for a while, chopped the tiles to allow more variety. I saw Seafarers in a charity shop the other day and bought it without thinking. I appear to have bought the Kosmos 4th edition (German) - dated 2002, has 6 edge pieces, 19 water, 11 land tiles. These are (predictably) not compatible.

What do I (minimally) need to buy to have a full set of catan + seafarers? I assume there is no version that expands the gallery edition of catan, so I'll need to get my hands on a different version of the base game. Which version(s)?

Thanks for reading.

Sorry, I saw the earlier post but have no idea what the Gallery edition looks like. I assume it is similar to 3rd edition. In that case, you should probably get the adapter kit and be good to go:

http://mayfairgames.com/game.php?id=71&stock=MFG3199&name=Th...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like pretty dice
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
There is no such thing as a model or ideal Canadian. What could be more absurd than the concept of an "all Canadian" boy or girl? A society which emphasizes uniformity is one which creates intolerance and hate. Pierre Elliott Trudeau
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually the Gallery edition is not compatible with any other Catan editions, so you will have to buy the 4th edition base game to be able to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
JustPeachy wrote:
Actually the Gallery edition is not compatible with any other Catan editions, so you will have to buy the 4th edition base game to be able to play.

Why not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Intentional. The goal was to create an introductory edition with a lower price point, and one with a different sales profile (mass market, offered as an introductory without the Authorized Retailer rules). Because of that, we did not want it to impact the base game's sales, and so incompatability was used to accomplish this.

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old Gamer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JustPeachy wrote:

Yeah, I thought this was the case. 4th edition Kosmos, Mayfair, or either?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Rapp
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
There is no Kosmos 4th edition. Kosmos actually is at 3rd edition (since 2010). Kosmos 2nd and 3rd edition are functionally 100% compatible between each other, but have different graphics, so this may or may not have an impact on your playing style. Kosmos 2nd and 3rd editions are not compatible with Kosmos 1st edition, mainly because of the frame that did not exist back then.

None of the Kosmos editions is compatible with any of the Mayfair editions. So, the best thing is to combine your 2nd edition Kosmos with a 2nd edition Kosmos base game (2003 - 2009), but an actual 3rd edition will probably do it as well. (Copyright of 2nd edition says 2002 because it was produced 2002, but it was released first in early 2003.)

Sebastian Rapp / Kosmos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old Gamer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sebastian Rapp wrote:
There is no Kosmos 4th edition. Kosmos actually is at 3rd edition (since 2010). Kosmos 2nd and 3rd edition are functionally 100% compatible between each other, but have different graphics, so this may or may not have an impact on your playing style. Kosmos 2nd and 3rd editions are not compatible with Kosmos 1st edition, mainly because of the frame that did not exist back then.

None of the Kosmos editions is compatible with any of the Mayfair editions. So, the best thing is to combine your 2nd edition Kosmos with a 2nd edition Kosmos base game (2003 - 2009), but an actual 3rd edition will probably do it as well. (Copyright of 2nd edition says 2002 because it was produced 2002, but it was released first in early 2003.)

Sebastian Rapp / Kosmos

Perfect. Thank you, and everyone else who contributed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Howard
United States
Cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello. I know I'm late to the party here. Just thought I would ask another question.

There are a lot of special expansions that never made it to Mayfair; there is the catan histories: cheops and Alexander, the Great Wall, hesse, Wien, and others. And then there are some like frenemies, the river, and oil fields that should work with the 4th edition of Mayfair release. Is there a listing somewhere of what is compatible with what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
KnightsCrest wrote:
Hello. I know I'm late to the party here. Just thought I would ask another question.

There are a lot of special expansions that never made it to Mayfair; there is the catan histories: cheops and Alexander, the Great Wall, hesse, Wien, and others. And then there are some like frenemies, the river, and oil fields that should work with the 4th edition of Mayfair release. Is there a listing somewhere of what is compatible with what?

Don't know of any list. Frenemies, Oil Fields, etc are compatible with Mayfair's 4th edition. The maps are compatible as they don't use any of the tiles (they are pre-printed) so they should be compatible with all editions. In fact Mayfair distributes these as prizes at conventions. I don't know about histories but assume they are like the maps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Rapp
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
KnightsCrest wrote:

No such list exists.

But when it comes to compatibility questions, this is in most cases of no relevance.
For instance: "Cheops / Alexander" and "Great Wall / Troja" are played on fixed game boards and should be playable with all editions, Kosmos or Mayfair, since you only need the resource cards and playing pieces from the basic game. Same is true for "Hesse" and the other playing mats. "Wien" is a stand-alone game that comes with all components.

So, compatibility is mainly a question for the basic game and its direct expansions (Seafarers, Cities & Knights, Traders & Barbarians, Explorers & Pirates).
For all other items: If it has hex- or frametiles, compatibility may be an issue. Everything else should be adjustable.

Sebastian Rapp / Kosmos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.