Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Fling
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am thinking about purchasing this game. If so, what should I buy? I see there are many different prints, a deluxe version and tons of expansions. What do you Munchkin players suggest I buy to get started?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glen.
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Each has a slightly different experience, but all have the same basic gist. Pick based on theme/genre you enjoy, except for a couple things:

1. Original has a million expansions. Which if you're an big time expansions guy, this is a plus. If not, (and especially if youre a completist) they usually have one or two expansions, and youre done. Which is fun.

2. If you do go with original, I highly recommend grabbing the Deluxe. Includes a cool mounted board which shows levels. To buy it now, you have to grab a separate box and it's cheaper in the Deluxe.

Again, all of the genres are fun and have some unique things.

Also, you can always mix and match too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister Furious
msg tools
As far as base sets go, there are differences, but they are minor. Some have classes and some have powers, some have some kind of mechanic that's unique like Cultists in Cthulu, but the basic game is the same. If there's a particular base set that has a theme you like, then get that one. If you like westerns, get the western one. If you like James Bond, get the James Bond one. If you like Zombies, get the zombie one. Ect. If you're not sure, I recommend the original one. The classes in it are good. I've heard Star Munchkin is really good, too, but I've not played it.

Now, once you've got your base set, there's the expansions. I highly recommend not going overboard with expansions. The problem with expansions is that they dilute your deck and make the game even more random than it already is. I went a tad overboard when I first started playing the game and got two expansions as well as the Munchkinomicon and Fairy Dust boosters for my set and it was just too much. When we were just playing the base game with no expansions, people almost always had a race and/or a class which meant that if you got a treasure you couldn't use, there was almost always someone you could trade it with. This created interaction between the players. "I've got the Staff of Napalm. Is anyone a Wizard? I'll give it to you for that Thief cloak." That kind of thing. With two expansions in the game, the deck was so diluted that that rarely happened anymore. Instead it was "I got a bunch of treasure I can't use. Is anyone a Wizard? No? What about a Cleric? Are there any Gnomes? No? Well, crap.". The Munchkinomicon booster created a problem of players drawing too many cards and stalling the game while they had to discard and the Fairy Dust booster didn't promote people helping each other out like I thought it would. It was useless.

So, I cut out the boosters and the third expansion and sold them on eBay. The game started to flow much better, but the deck still seemed too diluted and I eventually cut out the first expansion, too. We played one game without the expansion in it and it was one of the worst games we'd ever played but that could've been because we had five players in that one, so I don't know. Maybe having one expansion is better.

I've got to say, though, that Munchkin is a game that really loses it's charm after a while, so you may want to reconsider getting into it at all. My friends and I loved it at first, but after playing it many times, it's gotten stale. I'm seriously considering just selling the game I've got and being done with it. It's a fun game, but it's very repetitive and there isn't a whole lot of skill involved. There is some skill and strategy, but not a lot. The same thing happens in every game were someone is about to win and everyone gangs up on him and stops him and then someone else is about to win and everyone gangs up on him until finally someone is about to win and no one can stop them and that's that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Hovland
United States
Santa Clarita
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.warehouse23.com/item.html?id=SJG1483

There you go. Easy answer. Start with base set, then any other version or expansion can be mixed in later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fling
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterFurious wrote:
As far as base sets go, there are differences, but they are minor. Some have classes and some have powers, some have some kind of mechanic that's unique like Cultists in Cthulu, but the basic game is the same. If there's a particular base set that has a theme you like, then get that one. If you like westerns, get the western one. If you like James Bond, get the James Bond one. If you like Zombies, get the zombie one. Ect. If you're not sure, I recommend the original one. The classes in it are good. I've heard Star Munchkin is really good, too, but I've not played it.

Now, once you've got your base set, there's the expansions. I highly recommend not going overboard with expansions. The problem with expansions is that they dilute your deck and make the game even more random than it already is. I went a tad overboard when I first started playing the game and got two expansions as well as the Munchkinomicon and Fairy Dust boosters for my set and it was just too much. When we were just playing the base game with no expansions, people almost always had a race and/or a class which meant that if you got a treasure you couldn't use, there was almost always someone you could trade it with. This created interaction between the players. "I've got the Staff of Napalm. Is anyone a Wizard? I'll give it to you for that Thief cloak." That kind of thing. With two expansions in the game, the deck was so diluted that that rarely happened anymore. Instead it was "I got a bunch of treasure I can't use. Is anyone a Wizard? No? What about a Cleric? Are there any Gnomes? No? Well, crap.". The Munchkinomicon booster created a problem of players drawing too many cards and stalling the game while they had to discard and the Fairy Dust booster didn't promote people helping each other out like I thought it would. It was useless.

So, I cut out the boosters and the third expansion and sold them on eBay. The game started to flow much better, but the deck still seemed too diluted and I eventually cut out the first expansion, too. We played one game without the expansion in it and it was one of the worst games we'd ever played but that could've been because we had five players in that one, so I don't know. Maybe having one expansion is better.

I've got to say, though, that Munchkin is a game that really loses it's charm after a while, so you may want to reconsider getting into it at all. My friends and I loved it at first, but after playing it many times, it's gotten stale. I'm seriously considering just selling the game I've got and being done with it. It's a fun game, but it's very repetitive and there isn't a whole lot of skill involved. There is some skill and strategy, but not a lot. The same thing happens in every game were someone is about to win and everyone gangs up on him and stops him and then someone else is about to win and everyone gangs up on him until finally someone is about to win and no one can stop them and that's that.

Thanks! This is the kind of stuff I wanted hear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.