Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
113 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

Dystopian: the manhunt» Forums » General

Subject: DYSTOPIAN: the manhunt [2013 Solitaire PnP contest ] WIP thread [contest ready] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: DYSTOPIAN: the manhunt [2013 Solitaire PnP contest ] WIP thread [playtest and graphic design phase]
and why would you want something bad to happen if you decide to spend minimal or no resources?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: DYSTOPIAN: the manhunt [2013 Solitaire PnP contest ] WIP thread [playtest and graphic design phase]
Because interacting successfully will bring testimony, which will bring you closer to solving the case (by making you draw from the clue token pile).

Besides: by looking at the encounter decks in the locations you will also find physical clues that will also give you clue tokens (after analyzing them at the lab).

When interacting with NPCs, you might be pushing your luck, and trying to spend few interact resources, but sometime you might upset the NPC, who can either be attacking you, or who might hinder your search in other ways.

Some NPCs, like "normal people", they will more than happily interact with Sector 9 agents, meaning they will just need some interaction points with no negative effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
and why would you want something bad to happen if you decide to spend minimal or no resources?

Forgot to answer this: because resources are limited, and you might not have them available (think of the cards as is Mage Knight, only with dice).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick update on the latest NPC:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Small note. Cant use the word Droid in a game or product. Especially if its toed to robotics.
Lucas owns the word.
Its the reason why Battledroids is called Battletech.

Call them androids, synthetics, something else as its better safe than sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really? I had no idea!

Gosh! Thanks for the heads up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Early WIP of an enforcer...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two more minor things to say about gameplay: the interrogatory/interaction with NPCs will be fully deterministic, without the roll of the die.

Plus: I don't want the players to go here or there, without any particular pattern to follow, so, when you gain a clue, you have a bonus for interacting in a specific location, meaning that that clue is a lead that will take you in THAT location. You won't HAVE TO move there, but you have an incentive and if you do, you'll have a bonus interaction point to spend, meaning you know something already, from the previously found lead/hint/clue.

Another thing, but on the graphical side: I have drawn lots of AI-roids (how about this, for a name?), but the encounters will be mostly "normal people".

Plus: the encounters will be divided into three types: one type will be mostly present in rich locations, one will be neutral
(Hence can be found everywhere) and a last catcher gory, which can be found in dangerous-mean locations.
This will keep the theme intact, since you're unlikely to find a businessman in a ghetto, or a bounty hunter in the INFRACORP (the big corporation) building.

And lastly, all encounters will have some flavor text, which will bring some narrative to the game.

This game, that I have been developing for over 7 months, is getting HUGE,, I just hope to finish it in time for the contest

Edit: and here is the finished Enforcer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night, I crunched some numbers:
1) the board will be made of 8 A4 pages (or 4 A3s)
2) 7 of the 8 A4s will be the actual city of Dystopia, the 8th (top left) will be the suspect board
3) there will be 37 different locations around the city of Dystopia
4) there will be 100 encounters (divided into 3 types: safe, neutral, dangerous)
5) there will be 4 different playable agents
6) there will be 10 suspects from which you randomly choose 5
7) a bunch of lead tokens (to be placed on a location, to signal that a clue leads you someplace, giving you an INVESTIGATE bonus of +1
8) 64+ clue tokens
9) 4 D6 per player + more extra dice as helpers
10) 20+ enhancements and equipment that give bonuses and extra actions to choose from

In a year, I have written more than 100 pages of notes on my ipad notebook.

Tomorrow I'll edit the OP and write some fluff about the agents and Dystopia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Mascarenhas
Brazil
Teixeira de Freitas
Bahia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds we gonna have some stuff to playstest soon, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rajatz wrote:
This sounds we gonna have some stuff to playstest soon, right?

You'll have to wait ,'till i get home in a week or so...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

New character
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dystopia, final image:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is so Mega City One. If only the city in "Dredd" looked more like yours. Maybe a hint of Neo-Tokyo too. Very nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am tinkering with the graphic design, but I am also finalizing a few gameplay things:

1) the player loses (or, in coop mode, is out of the game) every time he rolls all wounds on his dice (don't worry if you don't understand, I still have to talk about the dice allocation mechanic and how wounds work)

2) a correction on the resources which are: warrant, interact, shoot, evade, analyze

Warrants let you access locations (moving is pretty much like a worker placement game, but to access a location you need warrants). Once in a location, you can investigate, by flipping, one at a time, the encounter cards in such location

Encounters can be good, bad, neutral, or direct clues, here's where the other resources come in handy:
Evade and Shoot are used against in combat, dangerous/bad encounters
Interact is used to talk to good/neutral encounters which give effects (leads, or hints, or clues)

Interact is also used in specific locations, to use the location's special ability (like the infirmary, to heal wounds, or the research facility to gain enhancements (which will give more and better actions to choose from) or the chief's office to get helpers (in the form of more dice to roll).

Analyze is used in the Laboratory, to study hints, and turn them into clues.

When a clue is gained, you can draw 1-3 clue tokens (depending on the type of hint you analyzed (physical, media, testimony) and place 1 on the suspect board, filling the pattern that will lead you to one of the suspects.

You will have to manage your resources quickly and wisely, though, as you cannot linger too long, since at the end of every turn, each player will discard 1 clue token, and when there wont be anymore clue tokens, the murmured managed to escape.

Once you have found the criminal, among the suspect, you Need to get him but he will hide in Dystopia. Find him, and, when you do, fight him, for the final showdown.

The game will be quite deterministic. The" only" randomness is given by the dice rolling (over which the player will have quite some control (since he will have to allocate the dice) and the encounters.

Stay tuned
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, following my previews post, here is a rundown on the helpful things you'll find, while investigating:

Leads: these are gained by interacting/interrogating/fighting with NPCs or when gaining clues, and give bonuses in certain locations.
Thematically, they mean that when you talk to someone, he or she will give you a lead on where to search next, hence the bonus in a location, I. The form of a +1 interact or warrant resource.

Hints: these are evidence like fingerprints, photos, images, surveillance videos, testimony and such, that need to be analyzed in order to gain clues.

When found, they are placed in the LAB where you'll need to go to analyze them so to turn them into clues.

evidence: will let you draw from the evidence tokens, and place 1 token on the suspect board. If you know Android, it works similarly to the conspiracy puzzle, only that there will be only one spot to place the tile.
Eventually you'll end the rout connecting the center of the board with one suspect: he/she/it will be your criminal.

When you've found who committed the crime, you'll have to catch him; therefore, a new phase will start where you'll take the suspect's card, and all remaining encounters, shuffle them, and place them back on the board, meaning that the criminal is escaping and is hiding.
The remaining Clue tokens will serve as a timer, as you'll keep on discarding them at the end of each turn.

You'll need to have as few encounters on the map as possible, but as many clue tokens as possible, to have enough time to find the criminal and fight him, for, the final showdown.

The game has a lot things working together, with many decisions to make.

And, a suspect, or a testimony?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Following up On my previous post here is what I have thought about the rules when you cannot or don't want to spend resources on on encounter: in such case, The encounter will move (As any other person or being would do) and will be reshuffled in another location of a similar type.

If the encounter is an evil NPC That you would have had to fight, you suffer one wound And move the NPC to another dangerous/neutral location.
If the encounter is good neutral NPC, The effects may depend but generally he will move With no additional effects, Some times depending on the type of encounter, the encounter will be discarded, which will be common when the encounter would have giving you a clue (This represents the fact that certain encounters will talk but usually don't want to do it because they might be afraid of the consequences They would face when talking To the police).

On any case whether you resolve the encounter or don't, you still discard looked okay so time will run out on either case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More notes about how the encounters will work and act... In order to make the narrative work, and not have funny, un-coherent things happen, like a thug in the middle of the Infracorp location attacking you, or a passerby giving testimony carelessly in a bad neighbohood, I have decided that the encounters will act differently according to where they are drawn.

So, I have already said that there will be 3 different type of locations: SAFE (where people should have some respect for the police) , neutral (where people can react either way), and Dangerous (where you should feel in danger).

Each encounter will have 3 different reactions and you will apply the one corresponding to where the encounter will be drawn from.

So, while a thug will try to attack you, no matter where he's at, his attack value might change, making him stronger if he's in a Dangerous location; or a passerby will talk more freely (hence requiring less interaction points) if he's in a safe locations, rather than in a dangerous locations, where he might be more resilient to talk.

This is also paired with the fact that locations will have special abilities and modifiers to the type of interaction you are performing (the thug we have seen before can have a high attack value if in a dangerous location, but if you find him in his cove, he has a modifier to his attack (this meaning that he might get help from his mob friends or that he simply knows the place well). Why would you go there in the first place? because the cove can give you extra hints and leads when you find them, so there is some gain after all.

Don't worry, though: there won't be a lot of calculations of modifiers and such... I am trying to keep the game as simple and streamlined as possible.

To top all the above, I have decided to give the feeling that there's actually a story behind all this card flipping and dice rolling/allocating/using, so each encounter will have his own flavor text telling more about what he does, what he's doing in such location (a different flavor text for the 3 types of locations).
So, if you find the businessman in the Infracorp Building or in the VAR-Com building, he will be there for business, and the flavor text will tell you he is working there; if he's in a dangerous location, he might be there to get drugs, or he got lost and is scared to death, things that will have effects on the way you interact with him (hence the modifiers I talked before).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the characters, with some flashy background:

I will add BG to the others as well.

My guess, though, is that, graphically, the game is VERY hard, with so many encounters; not counting the flavor text.

I despise "publishing" a game without a good graphic design, so what I'll do is use some mock up pics taken from the net, for the encounters I didn't draw, and start creating the files for playtesting.

There will be a printer-friendly batch of files, without images, and then there'll be one with all the graphics.

it's going to be a tough job,but well worth it, IMO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuhns, party of four!
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries here, I always appreciate great graphics, and these look splendid. If it gets too much for my little printer, I just get them printed at Staples and use their ink!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Rachel with background

And an AI-roid
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There's something weird about the AI-roid's shoulders. I don't know if it's the lighting or what, but it looks like they're not actually attached to her body.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a few encounters (all I need to do is finalize their effects:

thoughts?

BTW: I have to make some choices.... time is against me: too much work (real work, I mean) and too much to do to make the game playable.

What I would like is to:
-have up to 5-6 different cases each with specific scenario-based effects
-have 4 different playable characters (all together in coop mode or 4 to choose from)
-have 10 different suspects, where 5 are picked each game

though, with more graphic design to do, more drawings, LOTS of playtesting (having 4 characters and 6 scenarios, means playtesting will be A LOT, and I don't have the time to do it all.

So, for now, I will have to cut corners (and add what I want as future releases/expansions), so I will only create 1 basic scenario and 1 playable character and 5 suspects.

If I'll have time, I'll add what I can, ready for the contest.

and a properly finished agent: Belinda Carlile
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have completed 5 more encounters... Tomorrow I'll post them

Here's a checklist of the things I'll do:

- there will be 108 total cards (2 sets of Artscow decks): 4 will be Agents' standees, 14 will be enhancements, 14 will be equipment, 80 encounters (70 people, 10 straight hints)

- I need to keep drawing the encounters

- finish drawing the city board

- finalize the suspect board

- finalize the clue tiles

- finish writing the rules

- playtest the components

- create BGG entry

- finalize the character sheets

- write the case/scenario sheet

- create card backs (encounters, enhancements, equipment)

- final playtest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheila Kraft

Sharlotte Fischer

Hakym Travis

Roger Downs

Mark Knopler
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   |