Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
113 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

Dystopian: the manhunt» Forums » General

Subject: DYSTOPIAN: the manhunt [2013 Solitaire PnP contest ] WIP thread [contest ready] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: DYSTOPIAN: the manhunt [2013 Solitaire PnP contest ] WIP thread [private playtesting phase]
The files are up: have a look at the component list on page 1.

For your printer's sake, though, be warned: the files will use up A LOT if not all of your cartridge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Mascarenhas
Brazil
Teixeira de Freitas
Bahia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: DYSTOPIAN: the manhunt [2013 Solitaire PnP contest ] WIP thread [private playtesting phase]
found the components but where's the rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rajatz wrote:
found the components but where's the rules?

I am writing them as we speak.

There are posts on thread where I touch all the relevant aspects of the game (without going into too much detail).

I'll post the fleshed out rules ASAP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LOW ink encounters are up: low INK encounters
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuhns, party of four!
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate to say it after all the work you've done, but in looking at the full ink encounter cards (at least on my computer screen), it's hard to read the text since it's light on light colors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davekuhns wrote:
I hate to say it after all the work you've done, but in looking at the full ink encounter cards (at least on my computer screen), it's hard to read the text since it's light on light colors.

I have just checked, and indeed the words are too light colored... darn pdf conversion.

I'll fix it ASAP.
In the mean time, the low ink file has less of an issue (still a little, though)... I will fix that too

thanks for the heads up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RULES ARE UP!!!

Bear in mind: this is the first draft of the rules. somethings (nothing substantial, but more wordings) WILL CHANGE!

DYSTOPIAN: RULES

Only thing left on the TO DO LIST:
1) fix the font on the encounter cards
2) create enhancements
3) create equipment
4) fix the agent sheets
5) fix the wording on the rules (my biggest issue, now, is consistency)
6) create card backs

keep playtesting: balance balance balance

Things I know about the rules that I will fix:
a) I talk about agent actions; then players; than player; than you without consistency

b) keep the wording on the cards and the rules consistent (sometimes I talk about "gain", than "get"... and these sort of things.

If you have any pointers, please tell me: I am looking for: where should I talk about a specific subject matter? is there something that you feel is broken? is there something that you read that you didn't understand?

All in all, the game is quite easy... nothing substantially difficult:
-you roll dice
-you allocate dice
-you use resources to deal with things (mainly power up and reveal encounters)
-you discard one evidence token per player

The difficult part is: what should you do each turn, since you have so many options?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hartono
Indonesia
Jakarta
Jakarta Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting...
Any plan to release the cards on artscow or printerstudio?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smartbrain wrote:
Interesting...
Any plan to release the cards on artscow or printerstudio?

Yes! From the beginning, I have designed the cards to fit 2 decks of small 2x2,5 artscow decks. In fact the total cards are 108 (2 decsk of 54).

As soon as the game will be contest ready, I'll upload those too.

EDit: BTW, finally, the enhancement cards and equipment cards are DONE!!!

have a look here: Enhancement and equipment

Sorry... no low-ink for these (yet)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Saranac
Serbia
Kragujevac
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: DYSTOPIAN: the manhunt [2013 Solitaire PnP contest ] WIP thread [components ready]
How should we print the map on A4/letter paper?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: DYSTOPIAN: the manhunt [2013 Solitaire PnP contest ] WIP thread [components ready]
My PDF reader lets me print the map on multiple pages.

As soon as I'll have refined everything, I'll try to post the map in single A4 pages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night I finished my fist full game of Dystopian: the manhunt, and it was quite enjoyable.

here is a pic of the prototype board, setup to play:

the game is balanced (not for nothing, I have een designing it for the past year or so). the only changes I want to do are:
1) reduce the number of evidence tokens (half of the current number): during this play through, I had all the time to power up, take my time, gain some wounds, heal me at the infirmary, take care of encounters, not pushing my luck too much.
In fact, I ended the game (btw, it was suspect n.4 who committed the crime) with plenty of tokens still left in the pool.
2) fix some wording on the cards
3) plus I need to finish the agent cards for the other 3 characters

I really want to push it, and try to make these changes today (along with the corrections on the rules and re-write the rules in a more structured manner.

Tonight, I will playtest the game with the above changes, and see how it goes, and then, hopefully tomorrow, the game will be contest ready
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have updated the encounter files, with proper font color.

I have also changed a few things here and there... small little issues, nothing substantial, but more about wording and consistency.

Next up is to update the tokens file.

I have updated the token file and the rules.

Just one more playtest, tonight, and the game is contest ready!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, another playtest and it went very well. The murderer escaped, but I feel I could have done better and pushed further and maximized more my resources.

All is needed now is:
- finish the agent sheets, each with its own peculiarities, ups and downs
- re-write some rules, in an easier manner
- add card backs (all the same: no need to make things harder fir everyone, with different card backs)
- make a printerfriendly map board... I might even try to shrink it a bit

If anybody has read the rules, please let me know if there's anything unclear that needs a better wording.

Thanks

Edit:
I just realzed the link to the rules brings to v.1 of the rules.

I'll upload the link to Rules V.1.2 as soon as I get back to my office.

Edit 2: Done!

I also added the card backs.

Only thing to do now is finilize the character sheets for agent 2, 3 and 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another play run done... I came close to winning, this time, but died trying.

What I like about the game:
-you have to think where to allocate your dice depending on what you plan on doing
-you also need to advance your agent with more powers (equipment) and more choices (enhancements), but powering up takes time
-regarding time, timing is CRUCIAL, in Dystopian, because you want to find who committed the crime, ASAP, but not too fast, because you want to power up your agent before facing the murderer, while also emptying out the district in which the murderer will hide, to maximize the chances of finding fast.
So, basically, you should balance working your evidence, with powering up, with 'simple' encounter interaction.

This balance is lead by to resource balance, as you need interact resources (to gain testimony evidence and get rid of encounters, and power up or heal), but also attacks (to face thugs and, ultimately, the criminal), but also analyze points (to turn hints into precious tech-physical evidence), while not forgetting warrants (to enter locations).

The right combination, though, is tough, both because so many things will happen (not all predictable), and because the dice might give you only certain results, and not others.

The game, though, is not THAT random. Dice sure bring some randomness, but the allocation mechanic makes the player choose where to allocate dice (so, a die result will give you the choice of gaining 2 out of 5 types of resources).

Someone might argue that there's the "flip the card, see what happens" mechanic seen in many games, which is VERY random, but, in Dystopian, while the actual reaction is random, the sort of reaction can be fairly predicted. This is thanks to the location-encounter matchup, as in safe locations, encounters tend to act in a "safe" manner, while in dangerous locations, the encounters will be more aggressive, and in neutral locations, encounters are more of wild and act sort of in between.
This 'rule' is valid in general, but not always it is true, so some encounters will act aggressively even in safe locations, so beware.

What I wanted to convey, on top of a mechanically sound game, is the feeling that you're actually investigating locations, meeting 'real' people. So the people you meet will ask favors, will want to check your warrants, or kick you out, will bug you and hinder you but these people actually 'have a life of their own' (ok, that sounded BIG!) as they will move around, going from location to location, until they get where they like and have more interests.

I would have liked to include flavor text, to tell a bit more, about these people's lives, but card space was limited, so I had to settle for a 1-2 word description of the person's profession. It is up to the player, then, to make a story up.

Tomorrow I'll make a slight change to the rules, finish the agent sheets, and then, call the game "contest ready".

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I finished the agent sheets; I finished the rules, and added useful indexes and player aid.

Everything is done!

now, all you need to do is play the game, and enjoy the ride!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
One thing I can't tell: is the ongoing effect of the suspects a constant throughout the game, or does it only take effect when the real suspect is revealed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jlerpy wrote:
One thing I can't tell: is the ongoing effect of the suspects a constant throughout the game, or does it only take effect when the real suspect is revealed?

Hi Ben.
It only takes effect when the suspect is revealed as the actual criminal, hence, when the Chase stage begins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Excellent. In that case, why draw the suspects at the start of the game, instead of when a chain is completed? It seems like giving the players (partial) control over who did it is a bit weird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jlerpy wrote:
Excellent. In that case, why draw the suspects at the start of the game, instead of when a chain is completed? It seems like giving the players (partial) control over who did it is a bit weird.

Actually, the evidence tiles are designed so that there is very little control over where they go, so the connection is forced, and the players have little to no control over their placement on the suspect board or control over the suspect board itself.
During a game, it usually happens twice to be able to place the tile in two or more places. most times, you should feel lucky, if you can actually place the newly drawn tile on the board, on more than one space.
So, there's no control over the suspect board (which is thematically sound).

On the other hand, the players have control over the city map, as the players can predict, by looking at the suspect board, where the connection is heading and, therefore, concentrate on a specific district, or a specific way to handle the suspect (when found during the chase stage).
It happened to me twice that I was VERY close to incriminating suspect n.2, as I needed 1 single tile to connect him, but, in the end, it was suspect n.4, which ruined my plans.

BTW: I am designing case 2, where there is a special rule, that instructs the players to place the suspects among the normal encounters, and, as you meet them, you see where the evidence links are heading, and you formulate your accusations... still an idea phase, but a variant to the vanilla game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to let anyone interested know that I am creating the cards on Artscow (2decks of small 2" x2,5"cards).
I'll upload the link when I'm done.

I'll also try to find a way to print the board on a canvas ready to be ordered.
Can anyone tell we a we service that could do this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuhns, party of four!
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Artscow does that too it seems-http://www.artscow.com/photo-gifts/cat0503
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davekuhns wrote:
Artscow does that too it seems-http://www.artscow.com/photo-gifts/cat0503

Cool! Thanks.

And what about some fabric things? Canvas are rigid? Right? Kind of like a framed picture? While, on the other hand, a foldable fabric, like a big tissue, can be more portable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, in case you don't know already, Dystopian: the manhunt has its own BGG entry.

I am uploading some content as I write.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old & Chaotic Evil Bob
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'm not the Admin you are looking for
badge