Liar's Dice» Forums » Rules

Subject: Common rule variant: Calling Calza (Jonti) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Perudo rules give an optional rule for advanced players, which allows the calling of "Calza", also called "Jonti". At any time, any player (except the one who is turn is next to bid or "challenge”), can call “calza,” which means he believes the current bid is exactly correct. The dice are revealed, and if the current bid is exactly correct, he gains a dice from the bag. The rule as described elsewhere:

Quote:
“Calza” - This is an optional rule for advanced play. It allows any player except the one whose turn it is to call, to declare the last call to be exactly correct. When "Calza" is called the round is finished and all players must reveal their dice, starting with the player who made the call. If you have called "Calza" correctly and there is exactly that number of dice, including Aces, you regain a die from the table (no player can hold more than 5 dice). If wrong, however, you lose a die. The next hand begins with the “Calza” player.

The official perudo.org website describes it with the name Jonti.
Quote:
If a player makes a bid and another player believes that this bid actually reflects the *exact* quantity of the specified die face-value in play, then they should call Jonti. When Jonti is called, the ound ends and all the dice are revealed. If correct, the player calling Jonti is awarded a die, bringing it back in to play. If incorrect, the calling player loses a die. E.g. If Player A makes a bid of 3 x 2 and Player B calls Jonti, it is only a correct call if there are *exactly* 3 x 2 (including any wild aces that are in play). No player can have more than the maximum five die in play and so Jonti should only be called by a player who has less than five die in play! Jonti must be called before any subsequent bid is placed, and Jonti can not be called when the bid has been made by the player preceeding you. I.e. If you are the next player in turn, you cannot call Jonti. Hence, Jonti can never be called in a two person round. A successful call of Jonti has an added bonus as the player also starts the bidding in the next round.

I've never played with this optional rule - has anyone tried it? I'm not quite sure what its advantages or disadvantages are. It perhaps makes the most sense in combination with the "Reveal and Reroll" rule, when players have more visible information about the dice being rolled. Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Condoroussis
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Common rule variant: Calling Calza (Jonti) - your thoughts?
I have played it that way. I love the game and had played a lot, but one day the Rep came into my game store to explain some games and gave us some alternate rules for Perudo (i.e. Liar's dice). This rule is great when you are down to 2 or 3 people, since it throws it back to the other player. In a two player game, if you know you cannot bid a larger number, using this rule helps.
He also told us that they do not play in any order. So anyone, at anytime can jump in and make a guess. If no one wants to, then it goes to the next person in line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cope
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If you are the next player in turn, you cannot call Jonti.

Quote:
It allows any player except the one whose turn it is to call, to declare the last call to be exactly correct.

Does this mean you can make your bid and immediatly call Jonti/Calza on your own bid?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dsr15
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have the same question as the ghost: Is it only the 'current player' who cannot call Calza? In that case, can I make a bid and then immediately call Calza on my own bid?

dsr

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played with this rule variant myself, but the interpretation suggested by bfchooch and dsr15 does seem to be correct, i.e. that Jonti/Calza can be called on your own bid.

I can't seem to make sense of the following part of the perudo.org explanation quoted above, however:
Quote:
"If you are the next player in turn, you cannot call Jonti. Hence, Jonti can never be called in a two person round."

I could understand if there was a special exception that prohibits Jonti being called when the game is down to only two players, but surely this can't be because "If you are the next player in turn, you cannot call Jonti" - as has been mentioned, you could just call Jonti after your own turn. Unless, of course, that the suggested interpretation of the rules allowing the calling of Jonti after your own turn is incorrect after all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dsr15
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the link to perudo.org. The definition there starts with

Quote:
If a player makes a bid and another player believes that this bid actually reflects the *exact* quantity of the specified die face-value in play, then they should call Jonti.

I think this means it cannot be done by the die roller. This makes your quote make sense Ender, that the challenger can't Calza, so you have to have at least 3 players left to have one that can Calza.

I think this rule interpretation makes the most sense - it allows someone who is not currently in danger to jump in, take a risk, and either gain or lose a die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.