Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lior Kiperman
Israel
Ramat Gan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I've bought Dungeon Lords and the Festival Season expansion. After reading the rules in PDF files, I noticed that there are many options for playing Dungeon Lords. You can add the Minions Bearing Gifts "secret" expansion (Straightforward or tricky), add 1/2/3 paladins and allow multiple capture of paladins.

After playing a few learning games and trying out the different options, how do YOU prefer to play the game when playing with experienced players? why do you prefer to play it in this way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noble Knave
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bear in mind that for players to get "experienced," I would expect a 3-4 game minimum investment.

Having played most of the options under the sun, here's my take:

1) Items - Adds a lot of player interaction and forces you to be much more aware of the other players. I prefer the tricky variant, but the straightforward has its merits of simplicity and more predictability.

2) Multiple Paladins - Can have a big impact if multiple players go evil, or lessen the difficulty of besting the Paladin if only a single player is that evil and draws the Elf. I love sniping Paladins

3) Festival Season - Adds a lot of different things at once if you throw everything in. I personally really like it, but it's only for true fans who don't mind a longer and decidedly more complex game. Planning around the Unique Opportunities becomes crucial, Evil is given out a lot more freely by the new Events, and Petz offer a decent amount of player interaction (but probably less than either Items or Multiple Paladins in isolation).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd
United Kingdom
Camden
London
flag msg tools
badge
This game is bullshit.
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually prefer not to add the third paladin, but I always hope for the spell that brings it in. That way, it's unexpected. devil

I've only used Minions Bearing Gifts once and I can't say it really felt like it added a lot for me... So, just straight forward DL & Festival Season for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior Kiperman
Israel
Ramat Gan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sweetsweetdoughnuts wrote:
I actually prefer not to add the third paladin, but I always hope for the spell that brings it in. That way, it's unexpected. :devil:

It sounds more fun playing it that way :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.