Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zach Berly
United States
Angier
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
It seems that this game wouldn't provide much replay value, it seems as though the fellowship will always travel the same route, the Northern half of the board will never see action and the southern will, is this true?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would point you to the online ladder where several players have played 100+ games: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtLN1dNc0SyedEx...

It's true that the fellowship is pretty limited to 2 or 3 routes, but veteran players can also frequently threaten and achieve free player military victories. There are also a lot of decisions with the companions regarding who to keep in the fellowship and who the send elsewhere.

For players that don't stick to the main themes in the books/movies, the northeast part of the board sees a lot of military action. I would say that Dale/Erebor/Woodland Realm are just as likely (or even more likely) to be captured as Minas Tirith or Dol Amroth. They are lightly defended and are worth a very nice 5 VPs. Grey Havens sees very little action and the Shire and Rivendell see moderate action, but everything else is in play.

The randomness provided by the cards and action dice can really force you out of scripted strategies, which I find really increase the replay value. I never start a game as the free people planning to go for a military victory, but the game can force you into it sometimes.

If you find the game getting dull or repetitive, I recommend downloading the online client from the link above and playing against some experienced players. It will open you up to many new strategies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glen.
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might think that. But there is still strategy, there is still chance and enough variation which makes its replay incredible.

My wife and I probably play 5 times a month, and every time, it's crazy different. Shadow player figuring out where to strike first, how to manage to get 10 points; the Free Peoples having to find ways to heal enough and evade enough corruption to make it through to the end. Not to mention the odd time when a Free Peoples character gets bold and guns for a military victory.

I will say too, the expansion, Lords of Middle-earth, changes it up quite a bit too. Adds new, powerful allies and minions, which change where you would strike or how you would build your defenses.

Plus, there are a couple variant scenarios which are pretty fun to goof around with also. Namely, the Breaking of the Fellowship (you can Google it), which really starts with both sides with their hands wrapped around the others' neck. Its scary, scary, awesome fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I started playing this game in 2005. It is that odd game where the better you know it, the more replayable it becomes. There's the tempo of your actions to master, the synergy of event cards, the strategic choices and the educated guessing as to why your opponent made the move they just made or which combat card they are intending to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Replay value is enormous, no two games turn out alike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin long
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The movement of the Fellowship can seem like only a timer. A lot of elite players even seem to treat that aspect of the game so. But the game is so deep that only a very few players may be able to say if that is true. So even this part of the game is still deeper than it looks. Then throw in the Lords of Middle Earth expansion and the Fellowship trail becomes more. Much more can be done to help and hinder the travels of the Fellowship with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Kearns
Utah
flag msg tools
Trains!
badge
Houseplant?
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had a game where the Witch King was killed in Mount Gunabad, and was shortly followed by Gandalf the White getting himself killed in Erebor. By the end, I had amassed a massive army in the untouched Gondor, and tried to break through the Shadow blockade to reach Mordor, but the fall of the north and Rohan cost me the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arek
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my last game Galadriel, Merry, Balrog and Witch King died in Lorien
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is yet another game that I am totally intimidated to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cinzori
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:

Mechanically it's straightforward. So your learning time is spent on the fun part: what do I do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
birchbeer
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SouthernProud wrote:
It seems that this game wouldn't provide much replay value, it seems as though the fellowship will always travel the same route, the Northern half of the board will never see action and the southern will, is this true?

Good question. It may seem scripted but the reality is a polar opposite. It's hard to quantify WOTR with any other game in terms of strategic depth and replayability. To reiterate Rafamir, the more you play the deeper the game gets. I compare the strategic depth to a game like Imperial. While neither game has anything in common, the subtle timing, flow and 'mystery of the rondel' (Imperial's signature is the rondel mechanism) doesn't really start to sink-in until you've played around 50 games. Playing the Free Peoples is a real skill. Don't let the 'few paths to Mordor' fool you. Also, don't be surprised is there is a viable Western option for the Free in the future that allows transport via ship. ;-)

Bottom line: WOTR will grab in ways no other game can. Jump in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin long
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:

I play family level Euros. This game is the exception. There is no doubt that you can play 50 games of this and still learn a new rule. I enjoy studying the rules and their quirks. It is my one lifetime hobby game in that respect. However the rules and getting them right is just a side hobby. We all have played many games of this where we get more than one rule wrong and the outcome would be the same anyway. The game is that deep. 2 people playing WOTR for the 3rd time get as much pleasure as a 100 game rules shark. So read up on the rules and go for it! Don't have to get it right in this particular game. As you get more plays then the rules come along as they matter more and more And as Aaron says "Mechanically it's straightforward. So your learning time is spent on the fun part: what do I do?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As (joint) player with most recorded games on the ladder, I feel quite sure that this game is indeed repetitive with little long term appeal. whistle

Just posted for another game on FB by the way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't be. When I first got into the hobby, this was like the 5th game I bought. Previous games included Last Night on Earth, Fortune and Glory, and Defenders of the Realm. None of those are very complicated.

This one is, and it took me about 2 games to get it, but it really does make a lot of sense, and it's so thematic that you'll be drawn into learning it once you start reading.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I think this is the best game design in any game, hands down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin long
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dojogrant wrote:
Don't be. When I first got into the hobby, this was like the 5th game I bought. Previous games included Last Night on Earth, Fortune and Glory, and Defenders of the Realm. None of those are very complicated.

This one is, and it took me about 2 games to get it, but it really does make a lot of sense, and it's so thematic that you'll be drawn into learning it once you start reading.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I think this is the best game design in any game, hands down.

I second that emotion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
great game, if you are a LOTR fan, then you'll love this game
I felt it was very rules heavy and very intimidating, but once you play a couple times, it's quite fun and enjoyable
and yes, it is always different each time
amazing how it always seems to be sooooo close for either side
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wojtaszczyk
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say it is also a great game with great replayability.

The only other 2 player game I found which is like WoTR is Breakout Normandy with it's theme, high replay value, and asymmetric sides.

Both are outstanding games where you never know how they will turn out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards the players draw in the early stages of the game have a huge impact on how things play out. There is no part of the map that has not seen action during one of my games. And once you play 20 times or so and want to mix things up, there is the (retooled and better than ever) expansion that opens up many more possibilities. To the OP, it sounds like you are trying to talk yourself out of this game. But if you like intense middleweight wargames, and have even a passing interest in the world of Tolkien, you are unlikely to go wrong with WotR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ryan turner
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I have nothing but good things to say. This game is brilliant, and the depth involved in decision making only grows the more you play.

And I'll tell you this, it stopped my board game buying addiction in its tracks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Some dude
Netherlands
Groningen
There dismay took them, for at the gate was a guard of whom no tidings had yet gone forth.
flag msg tools
Swiftly the wolf grew, until he could creep into no den, but lay huge and hungry before the feet of Morgoth. There the fire and anguish of hell entered into him, and he became filled with a devouring spirit, tormented, terrible, and strong.
badge
Then swiftly all his inwards were filled with a flame of anguish, and the Silmaril seared his accursed flesh. Howling he led before them, and the walls of the valley of the Gate echoes with the clamour of his torment.
mbmbmbmbmb
The replay value is proportional to how many times you can find someone to play this game with. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.