• [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of things to check:

A When you go to your profile, one of the things in the top left should be "Include me in the Gamer Database". Does your profile have Yes to the right of this? If not, you should click the pencil next to BoardGameGeek Preferences and then check the appropriate box on the page that comes up.

B Have you entered the correct ZIP Code? In the User Details section of your profile (lower left), click the pencil and see if your ZIP Code is correct.

C Are you aware that the Find Users with Google Maps feature puts all users that are in the same ZIP code on the same pin? This means that, unless you live in what Google considers the center of your ZIP Code, your pin won't be where your dwelling is. Click the one where your ZIP Code is to see if you're listed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb

Great points by bwingrave.

You do show up via the sites own low tech find user system. So my guess is it's something whacky going on at googles end. In all honesty the Universal Browser is a more useful tool IMO.

Search USA - City Rochester.

Dave the Google Maps thing only works for USA users, if I remember correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AbStrateGyk
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be cool, convenient and helpful if BGG can implement a more advanced search "by board game" interest to find your matches. Right now I have to click on each name of the people (which are a lot!) in my area (San Francisco bay area) to find out if they have the same interest. Ugh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed... as a work around if you add them all as geek buddies (RSI) (you can put them in a group for local gamers if you want to keep them separate)

Then navigate to the game you want to play, scroll down to Statistics and select geekbuddy analysis - it'll show you those users information on that game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neophitz
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thank You Mr. Wing Grave it was A
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neophitz
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
That sounds cool. The two geeks near me have totally different interests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AbStrateGyk
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Add them all as Geek Buddies? Don't you have to click on each name to add them? So how is that a workaround? Was hoping that you can just hover your cursor onto their name and it will have a pop-up that would show a list of their board game interests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I'm afraid I don't know of a work around for the work around. Repetitive Strain Injury here we come!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Jones
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know if this works in the UK. I'm struggling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Gary,

Yes the search does (click on any users flag to access 'Universal Browser') but not the googlemaps bit, that's USA only. yuk

Anyway search:

Country : United Kingdom, State: Essex, City: Chelmsford - includes you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
grjns123 wrote:
Does anyone know if this works in the UK. I'm struggling.

To make matters a little more complicated, some of your compatriots will be flying St. George's Cross (if they pick "England" instead of "United Kingdom")--or the Welsh dragon flag or St. Andrew's cross, but they're probably a bit distant.

There's only one user in Chelmsford (flying St. George's Cross, that is), but if you delete the city to get all of Essex, ten more.

Liam: Why is "universal browser" not in Find Users? Find Users has the same microbadge search as the menu above, which seems off-mission, as well as redundant. Bug?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question Walt. I'm sure it's just an oversight but I'll put it forward .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Jones
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.