Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
At the weekly ANR game night at Pandemonium in Cambridge, MA, I got to try a Professor deck. Played 3 games against 3 different opponents, and won all 3.

It was a crappy deck I threw together at the table, but it was fun to play.

First games I won because the other dude was playing the crappy proconstructed HB deck from C&C.

Second game was largely decided by test run->sneak door + 3 unobstructed runs on hand.

After those first two games, I noted that I really wanted a way to get cards in my heap. I was running a lot of tutors, but also a lot of recursion.

Third game, I started with a diesel in hand. Played it and drew 2 more diesels and a Levy AR Lab Access. Played the other 2 diesels as well, and a fairy. Discarded a bunch of crap. That was a fun game. Had a lot of enjoyable recursion tricks, scavenging a killed magnum opus and a discarded medium. I scavenged the medium when my opponent was poor and ran 3 times on R&D, getting 3 counters. He left them on there for the rest of the game, and eventually after he scored something I saw an opening and went for R&D again. Hit it 3 more times, trashing 3 cards along the way, and managed to draw a 3-pointer for an 8-point victory.

Professor is a lot of fun. Can't wait for Caissa programs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Angell
msg tools
what did you spend your single influence on? just curious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Stimhack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
mb
Why would you run Levy AR Lab Access if you want to get cards into your heap?

Also, any chance on a list?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bingo Little
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
sounds like you had fun.

it also sounds like you played noobs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wedgeex wrote:
Why would you run Levy AR Lab Access if you want to get cards into your heap?

Also, any chance on a list?

Like I said, I just threw the deck together at the table.

I don't have the original deck list I played yesterday. I modified it a bit to tweak some things. Reconstructing the deck from memory, but I believe this is what I've got now (and if not, it's pretty damn close):

Cards: 45 / 45
Influence points: 1 / 1
Identity: The Professor

Event (14)
3x Diesel
1x Escher
3x Quality Time
3x Scavenge
1x Stimhack ●
3x Test Run

Hardware (6)
3x Akamatsu Mem Chip
3x Clone Chip

Program (21)
1x Atman
1x Corroder ●●
1x Crypsis
1x Cyber-Cypher
1x Datasucker ●
1x Deus X
1x Djinn ●●
1x Faerie ●●●
1x Femme Fatale ●
1x Gordian Blade
3x Magnum Opus
1x Medium ●●●
1x Net Shield
1x Parasite ●●
3x Self-Modifying Code
1x Sneakdoor Beta ●●●
1x Snowball

Resource (4)
1x Aesops Pawnshop
3x Sacrificial Construct

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Villareal
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
you need heaped progs?

you need cashmoneydollars?

why not pick up a Freelance Coding Contract and spin all that useless "code" you plan on getting around to finishing into something useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 1 LALA in my professor deck because I go through the deck pretty quick with diesel and quality time. I'm using FCC and crushing all my programs to install them reactively when I need them with clone chip. When I use LALA now I can use those cards again as damage mitigation and FCC fodder. I'm got 28 programs in my current professor deck. It's fun. Not sure if it's really competive, but it does play fast. With professor's identity getting all your programs in your heap quickly is a good idea so you can use your heap tutors to install the programs you need when you need them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as the Prof goes, I'm in the "I don't think I'd take him to regionals, but he sure as shit is fun" camp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Tebben
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
No Sahasrara? That'd be my first auto-include in a Professor deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OddCrow19 wrote:
you need heaped progs?

why not pick up a Freelance Coding Contract and spin all that useless "code" you plan on getting around to finishing into something useful.

Had it. It was bad in this deck. Requires a lot of luck for it to be worth it, and the only reason I want stuff dumped into my heap is because it's relatively easy for me to get them from there. It's even easier for me to get them from my hand, though, so going from hand to heap is a downgrade in accessibility.

stillnotking wrote:
No Sahasrara? That'd be my first auto-include in a Professor deck.

I've found myself rather tight on memory at times, and tight on cards all the time. It just doesn't make the cut.

Money... hasn't really been as much of a problem, with easy access to Magnum Opus (although that's a major contributor to the memory problems).

I don't think Sahasrara would work well in this, anyways. I need my money to be flexible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
OddCrow19 wrote:
you need heaped progs?

Had it. It was bad in this deck. Requires a lot of luck for it to be worth it, and the only reason I want stuff dumped into my heap is because it's relatively easy for me to get them from there. It's even easier for me to get them from my hand, though, so going from hand to heap is a downgrade in accessibility.

I'd struggled with this and I believe there are 2 ways to play FCC.

You made a deck with 60%-70% programs cards and have lots of ways to install from your heap (with professor and exile this seems likea likely strategy). You use draw accelerators to run through your deck to install what you can/need now and trash everything else. FCC helps you go through the deck faster and you use LALA to reset it when you need to. Is this a good strategy? Not sure yet, but you definitely need to make a deck for this specifically.

The second and probably more common use it to have 1 or 2 copies on FCC in your deck so that when you get to late game and your rig is just about done you cna trash your program doubles to burst cash for late game aggression.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonid G
Russia
flag msg tools
mb
phillosmaster wrote:
Asmor wrote:
OddCrow19 wrote:
you need heaped progs?

I'd struggled with this and I believe there are 2 ways to play FCC.

You made a deck with 60%-70% programs cards and have lots of ways to install from your heap (with professor and exile this seems likea likely strategy). You use draw accelerators to run through your deck to install what you can/need now and trash everything else. FCC helps you go through the deck faster and you use LALA to reset it when you need to. Is this a good strategy? Not sure yet, but you definitely need to make a deck for this specifically.

I'm playtesting this very deck right now, and it is VERY GOOD and LOTS OF FLEXIBLE.

It is just really hard to nail the proper Programs-to-NotPrograms ratio. I've never been able to keep it at 70% Programs - there are too many necessary events it needs to tick. It's somewhere around 50-60%, and, as I said, it's hard to get the ratio right. It's also hard to find that much of useful programs.

My ID is Professor, mostly due to his ability to pack a lot of strong OOF software. Did not try this in Exile yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ostman
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sciencebuster wrote:
sounds like you had fun.

I was the guy that played the preconstructed FF HB deck for C+C. That was probably the only "free" win he got. I'm no newb, trust me on that, but we will call it free because, well, lol at those decks. The rest were against good decks and opponents.

And yeah - those C+C decks are REALLY bad. The HB one especially.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mostman79 wrote:
sciencebuster wrote:
sounds like you had fun.

I was the guy that played the preconstructed FF HB deck for C+C. That was probably the only "free" win he got. I'm no newb, trust me on that, but we will call it free because, well, lol at those decks. The rest were against good decks and opponents.

And yeah - those C+C decks are REALLY bad. The HB one especially.

Except the medium game. That was against my friend Dave, and I can verify that he's a noob. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ostman
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You said it. Not me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Bush
United States
Narberth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Your prof list is only 18 influence. Hard to believe it wouldn't be better as an exile or Kate deck with 3 fewer influence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.