Popular Tags: [View All]
Gavin Wynford-Jones
France
Prévessin-Möens
Just across the border from Geneva, Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just read this on Yahoo: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060226/us_nm/leisure_games_dc

Snack games???

Gavin
PS As you can imagine, the Yahoo discussion for the thread is up to their usual standard... soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nairb Attobas
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
"As a society, our attention span is getting shorter and shorter," Fast said. "People don't want to invest an hour and a half in a game waiting for turns. You can wait six to seven minutes for a turn."

Quote:
"It's sad, but we just don't take time to roll the dice anymore. DVD games work because you can just pop it in and play."

It's amazing how uninformed people are about the entire scope of the business they're entering. Amazing.

"If SceneIt sold amazingly well, we can make a quick buck, too!!!"

zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
I was livid when I read this article this morning. Anyone who gets their news from the news is severely out of touch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Butler
United States
Marshall
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ben_ethus wrote:
Quote:
"As a society, our attention span is getting shorter and shorter," Fast said. "People don't want to invest an hour and a half in a game waiting for turns. You can wait six to seven minutes for a turn."

This is no good either. Why would I want to wait six or seven minutes for my turn? I don't want to wait any more than six or seven seconds.

The real problem is that DVD games fail to address the full extent of my short attention span and lack of cognition. What we need is to include enough artificial intelligence to actually make my decisions for me. I want a game that I can pop into the DVD player and then it will entertain me without any further action on my part. I want to be able to wander off to get something to eat or take a nap with no interruption of the gaming experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:
Anyone who gets their news from the news is severely out of touch.

Hear, hear!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
I've played Scene It! with a large group, and it had more downtime than a game of Citadels. So this whole "6-7 minute turn" business is hogwash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools

You are all a bunch of dream-crushing ogres. So what if they're essentially reinventing the wheel - Trivial Pursuit? Don't tie down the True Believers of this world with your trivial concerns like "market relevance" and "worthwhile content"? It's all blue and cyclic and Aquarian, and none of your negative, naboblike nattering can change that!

::Blasts Journey's "Don't Stop Believin" at horrifying volume::

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark camp
United States
Lesser Binghamton Area
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oldmanrivah wrote:

Okay, THAT song is not what I needed in my head this morning as I go to work. MAKE IT STOP!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Grieshop
United States
Temple Terrace
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:
I was livid when I read this article this morning. Anyone who gets their news from the news is severely out of touch.

I couldn't agree more... people who count on the news are the very same people who somehow buy into the notion that spending an hour to play a game is just unreasonable. I wonder why? If they are being informed by the corporate new media, that media *does* have an agenda - and it probably isn't one that involved doing something odd like playing games with your (human) friends.

This from the Yahoo article:
Quote:
"The time required for a traditional board game is an hour. We came up with the concept of a snack. We identify that most people today just don't have discretionary time."

Given that the "average" American is supposedly watching 4.5 hours of TV a day (we can quibble about that number - it could be 3, it could be 6, but it is still a lot), I think that most people today DO have "discretionary time", and they are already using that time in a way that they've chosen.

On some level, the whole realm of TV-based games is probably just an attempt to get people to divert some of their dedicated TV time to, ummm... well, their TV. Just doing something different with it.

And if you are one of those people who aren't getting your 3-6 hours (whatever the number is) of TV time in each day - you do realize you're just passing your TV debt load off on to others, don't you? For every hour you don't watch, that's an hour some poor innocent victim has to spend making up for you not doing your share. All of my TV hours are up for grabs! Somebody else will have to make up for my deficit. I'm okay with that.

Given how many people *are* playing card games and other games during their lunch breaks at work - I think this is a problem that has already been solved. But, with advertising like this that masks as "news", they can't admit that lots of great games are already being played in "snack" sized time frames. It is more important to push the product ("Watch TV. Watch More TV. Watch TV") and to deny any other reality exists. ("Watch TV.") It isn't as if it is a hidden message or anything.

More time in front of the TV, for most people, is simply more time with their very best friend. The friend they choose to spend time with to laugh, cry, learn, play, to do all of the really important things in life. The friend that is always there, always takes their calls, never criticizes them, alway soothes them and makes them feel better.

Quote:
"We weighted the questions appropriately," Wodtke said. "Parents are sometimes thrown a curve. They may have to answer a question about 'That's So Raven,"' a Disney Channel show for young people.

So, if I understand this correctly - people are playing a game, on a TV, in which they are asked trivia questions about a TV show. Hmmm... And those same people don't have time to play a board game?

Okay, my two cents first thing in the morning... thanks!

Russell

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Grieshop
United States
Temple Terrace
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Anybody (besides me) wondering why we're all supposed to accept the notion that our attention span is getting shorter and shorter? And, if true, anybody wonder what might be causing this to happen?

We get our "news" from people who assert things like this? And when they do assert this, they do it in quick little sound bites and very short stories? And we're not curious about how this happens?

Sorry. I probably wrote too much. Why ask why? I know. I've heard that answer, somewhere.

Quote:
"It's sad, but we just don't take time to roll the dice anymore. DVD games work because you can just pop it in and play."

And, you probably don't need anyone else to play with you, either. I tell you, when I think of the hours I've lost out of my life simply waiting for those dice to stop rolling... who has time for that any more? I need immediate gratification, instant results. None of this waiting around while the silly dice tumble around. I've got THINGS to DO! Can't wait! Must get back to spending my "discretionary time" wisely.

(heck, it makes me giggle to even write "spending my discretionary time wisely").

Who stole our discretionary time? (Or who did we give it to?)

Will there be a "news" story about this soon?

ben_ethus wrote:

"If SceneIt sold amazingly well, we can make a quick buck, too!!!"

It's amazing how uninformed people are about the entire scope of the business they're entering. Amazing.
zombie

I dunno - I suspect that they are entirely well informed. Any guesses as to how many copies of SceneIt were sold last year? Any guesses as to how many copies of *all* German imports, combined?. We're actually focused on a niche market - and they are focused on the mass market. What we imagine is a healthy vibrant hobby games market is all but invisible to most people in our culture, and the real game market is actually dominated by the usual suspects (Uno, Monopoly, et. al). And clearly these manufacturers understand where most people spend most of their discretionary time. So, getting them to buy a product that supplements their preferred entertainment is actually indicative of exactly how much they *do* understand about the business they are entering.

I attended Toy Fair this year, and one of the creepiest things I saw there was a person dressed up in a big suit, like some sort of cuddly alien furry, holding up a sign with words on both sides, and also wearing a shirt that had the same thing printed on the front and the back. I have only the vaguest notion what the product was, but here's what the sign and shirt said:
"The TV Talks To The Toy.
The Toy Talks Back.
Your Child Talks To Both."

Any guesses about how *that* child is going to end up? Extremely well adjusted, don't you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
bob_the_goon wrote:
oldmanrivah wrote:

Okay, THAT song is not what I needed in my head this morning as I go to work. MAKE IT STOP!!!

devil

That makes it all worth it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I dunno - I suspect that they are entirely well informed. Any guesses as to how many copies of SceneIt were sold last year? Any guesses as to how many copies of *all* German imports, combined?. We're actually focused on a niche market - and they are focused on the mass market. What we imagine is a healthy vibrant hobby games market is all but invisible to most people in our culture, and the real game market is actually dominated by the usual suspects (Uno, Monopoly, et. al). And clearly these manufacturers understand where most people spend most of their discretionary time. So, getting them to buy a product that supplements their preferred entertainment is actually indicative of exactly how much they *do* understand about the business they are entering.

I agree. This article is referring to the mainstream market for games. I don't have the numbers either, but I can tell you this, my local Toys R US, Target, and even the Barnes & Noble are only carrying 1% of the top 100 games here on the 'Geek (if they are carrying Go). I gotta go to my fnlgs for all the other games. Face it, we're niche, subcultural, small potatoes, indy, whatever you wanna call it. And that's a good thing.

And with content like this

Quote:
"We weighted the questions appropriately," Wodtke said. "Parents are sometimes thrown a curve. They may have to answer a question about 'That's So Raven..."

this techno snack game ephemera will be sullying the shelves of my local thrift store probably a couple years after its release.

Pathetic garbage. yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.