Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Fat Goblin and a great night! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
martin andreasson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I asked about a good session for an evening and in the end we decided on A fat Goblin. And it turned out to be a great evening.They choose Avric and Quellen. And they had a blast even though i edged out a victory in both encounters hehe.
Thanks for the advice guys!
/Zol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis West
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Glad to hear! It's definitely a quest that comes down to luck, the luck being on how fast the OL finds Frederick. Even then though, the heroes still have a chance if they correctly set up choke points. Hope this leads to many more fun filled nights of Descent!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Luck is only a factor among many others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis West
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Robin wrote:

True. I was making a reference to the fact that if Splig find Frederick early (second or third turn), it puts a lot of pressure on the heroes to finish killing the spiders and whatever monster(s) the OL chose for his/her open group so they can make a choke point to block Splig. However, if Splig fails to find Frederick by the 5th turn, the heroes have usually killed the spiders and Open group, and are better able to create that choke point closer to Splig, meaning his has less room to run and wait things out. As an OL, I do generally use my monsters to prevent choke points from being made on quests, so that Splig can move through them. Also, I save any Dashes I draw to use after Splig has found Frderick.

I'm pointing out that in this quest, the Heroes should always actively have a chock point that Splig cannot get through, in the event Frederick is found, and the OL does what he/she can to make sure there is a spot for Splig to get through. And that the biggest influence on how "rushed" this part of the encounter feels depends on when Frederick is found, which is a roll of the dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
Live Fast. Love Hard. Die With Your Mask On.
badge
True-Man's come home! ...and he IS the storm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you had a blast. I must admit Fat gob is a fave of mine.
Nice to hear the heroes had a good time ~ even though you, the dread Overlord, won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hoyt
United States
East Liverpool
Ohio
flag msg tools
ボルトン
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

My group made quick work of the Spiders and open group and were at the doors to the main chamber when Splig finally found the guy and was readying his escape.
Lucky for him the Heroes (in their haste) left the doors wide open. And with a bit of card luck and corner movement he bounded merrily out of the Dungeons by the 2nd turn afte...with the Heroes -jaws gaping- in disbelief.

LOL..

Choke points are a must for the Heroes!

~Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin andreasson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Asceric wrote:
Robin wrote:

True. I was making a reference to the fact that if Splig find Frederick early (second or third turn), it puts a lot of pressure on the heroes to finish killing the spiders and whatever monster(s) the OL chose for his/her open group so they can make a choke point to block Splig. However, if Splig fails to find Frederick by the 5th turn, the heroes have usually killed the spiders and Open group, and are better able to create that choke point closer to Splig, meaning his has less room to run and wait things out. As an OL, I do generally use my monsters to prevent choke points from being made on quests, so that Splig can move through them. Also, I save any Dashes I draw to use after Splig has found Frderick.

I'm pointing out that in this quest, the Heroes should always actively have a chock point that Splig cannot get through, in the event Frederick is found, and the OL does what he/she can to make sure there is a spot for Splig to get through. And that the biggest influence on how "rushed" this part of the encounter feels depends on when Frederick is found, which is a roll of the dice.

yeh that is what happened in this session. Splig found him quite quickly and the heroes were indeed fighting my hord and had no time to stop me while i knocked them down to escape and win

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.