Popular Tags: [View All]
Badger
England
London
Enfield
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All the girls were staying at their aunt's house, so that only left Calvin and me to play games. He chose one of his favourite games, Awful Green Things. He chose the aliens as they are usually a bit easier to play.

I set up my crew in what I consider to be pretty standard positions with the ability to get as many different weapons as possible. Calvin's start force was 2 adults, 4 babies and 6 eggs spreading out from the Saucer Bay.

To discover the Green Things, you get to move two crew but can't pick up any weapons, so I chose my two strongest. The robot moved to attack a baby, and Captain Yid went in to the corridor to attack another baby. Both attacks were successful.

Calvin grew his remaining babies into adults, and advanced on my crew. The Technician got eaten in the #1 Sensor and the Machinist met his end in the Forward Machine Shop, the alien babies maturing as a result.

I managed to get hold of Zgwortz, hypodermics, a knife, a stun pistol and a welding torch, all of which were used to varying effect. Only the hypos could kill, and the torch could stun. The Zgwortz and knife caused fragmentation and the stun pistol had no effect. Not the greatest start ever. Even so, I managed to clear the Sick Bay, and near some weapons for next turn.

Fragments grew into babies, and once again the Green Things, in all their Awfulness, advanced. The Operations Officer and 1st Officer fell in the fore of the ship.

I managed to get a Comm Beamer and Fire Extinguisher in to action, but with multi dice kill chits. Could this be the turning point? Area effect weapons, baby! I cleared the rear half of the ship this turn, with the only aliens being in the Damage Control, forward corridor, and Atmosphere Probe Control.

Calvin gre the babies in to adults, which gave him 5 adults and an egg. For some reason, he withdrew his aliens so he couldn't attack, but remained close enough for me to counterattack.

I overran most of the remaining Green Things, and managed to stun the last adults with some Rocket Fuel in the Cockboat Bay.

Things were looking grim now for the aliens, as all they could do was recover from being stunned. My crew advanced upon the ragtag survivors.

And put them to the sword.

So I won one of my biggest ever victories, having lost only four crew members for a score of 251-0. Calvin didn't mind, as he absolutely loves this game.

Calvin started setting up for a rematch whilst I worked out the AREA scores.

Me: 1688
Calvin: 1462
Michael: 1450
Robyn: 1400
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun game that has aged very well--and is wonderful for children and adults to play together. Calvin's a lucky lad!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arjen Schouten
Netherlands
Veenendaal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Enjoyable read there Badger.

I never played this game myself, but it has drawn my interest a while ago. How tactical/strategical and diverse would you say this game is?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Area scores? How is this done?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badger
England
London
Enfield
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vargen666 wrote:

I never played this game myself, but it has drawn my interest a while ago. How tactical/strategical and diverse would you say this game is?

You draw effect chits from a pile, so the weapons will have different effects each time you play. Also, some weapons are single use, some affect more than one alien, some can affect the crew as well. Generally, the tactics for the crew comedown to making best use of the weapons, and for the aliens it's a choice between killing or expanding. It's quite a light game, but the randomness gives it a lot of replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badger
England
London
Enfield
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jheaney wrote:
Area scores? How is this done?

It's a system developed by Avalon Hill to track players' abilities. I'm using it for The Summer Of Fun, where I play my kids at various games over their summer break from school. The geeklist is here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arjen Schouten
Netherlands
Veenendaal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Badgeroonie wrote:
Vargen666 wrote:

You draw effect chits from a pile, so the weapons will have different effects each time you play. Also, some weapons are single use, some affect more than one alien, some can affect the crew as well. Generally, the tactics for the crew comedown to making best use of the weapons, and for the aliens it's a choice between killing or expanding. It's quite a light game, but the randomness gives it a lot of replayability.

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like a good game to play with people casually interested in gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badger
England
London
Enfield
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's built for fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Stewart
United States
Bowie
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Captain Yid went in to the corridor to attack another baby.

I did NOT. I'm not a baby killer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.