Popular Tags: [View All]
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a hard time finding the gambling rules before, so I thought I'd post them here. Forgive me if they're here and I just didn't see them:

- What you'll need
* Five dice per person.
* 1 cup of some sort per person.
* Four quarters per person.

- The gist
Liar's Dice is a bluffing/push your luck game that is easy to teach and has a real "drinking game" feel (indeed, it can be played as a drinking game). Players roll their dice in their cups and use their cups and hands to keep their roll secret.

(This picture shows stars for wild instead of 1's, which is explained below.)

The starting player states how many of one number he thinks there are among all the players. The next player makes his estimate, but it must be higher than the previous estimate. It continues until a player doubts the estimate. The doubting player squares off against the last player to guess. The loser loses a quarter.

- Detailed rules
Each player rolls their dice in their cups onto the table, shielding the result. The first player makes an estimate as to how many total of any dice number are on the table, for all players. So, the first player, seeing he has 2 fours, may guess "I think there are 4 fours". If he's playing with 5 people, this is a pretty safe bet. The next player (clockwise) must now increase one of those two numbers. So, he must guess there are four 5's or four 6's, or he may increase the first number and say there are five (or six or seven...) of anything. Let's say that player said "I think there are four 6's". The next player must now say there are five (or six or seven) of anything, because 6 is the highest number on a die.

That's a bit confusing, so here's an example:

Player 1: "I think there are four 4's."
Player 2: "I think there are four 6's."
P3: "I think there are five 4's."
P4: "...five 6's."
P5: "...seven 6's"

Here Player 5 seems pretty confident as to the total number of 6's there are on the table. He's forcing the issue for Player 1. Player 1 must go to eight of something, or he may state "I doubt it", and lift his cup off his dice. The total 6's are counted, and if Player 1 was wrong he pays one of his four quarters, if Player 6 was wrong he pays a quarter.

1's are wild. Therefore, in the above transaction what Player 1 was really saying was "I think there are four 1's or 4's". 1's are wild for everyone, so if I'm hoping there are eight 4's, and you have three 1's and no 4's, you count three toward the total. No one may guess any number of 1's. Therefore "I think there are five 1's" is not legal.

Note that anyone can doubt at any time. If Player 5 was bluffing in the above example, and had no 1's or 6's, and if Player 1 stated "eight 6's", that may be a good time for Player 5 to say "I doubt it", because he just trapped Player 1.

Last player with quarters wins the quarters.

- Samples

Here is a legal sequence of guesses:

Four 3's
Four 5's
Five 2's
Five 5's
Six 2's
Eight 4's
Eight 5's
Eight 6's

Here are a few illegal sequences:
Four 3's
Three 6's (Three is less than Four)

Four 3's
Four 5's
Four 2's (2 is less than 5)

Four 3's
Five 3's
Six 1's (You may not guess the number of 1's)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is how my grandmother taught me the game. She always stole all my quarters... I was only seven years old cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.