1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Which game mechanic do you wish you had invented? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Winter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
When I read about The Agents recently, I experienced game mechanic envy. I have designed a couple of games in which cards can either be used to initiate actions or can be used for their point value. In The Agents they have a great mechanic in which if you use the action, someone else gets the point value and if you use the points, someone else gets the action.

I don't know if they are the first game makers to do this, but the point is I really wish I had thought of that.

Are there game mechanics you have come across that stimulated your game maker envy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I had invented the "high score wins" mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I had invented and patented dice.

Just think of the royalties. wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Berdichevsky
Argentina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:

Just think of the royalties. wow

what about the "Shuffling" Mechanics?

speaking seriously, I don't think "envy" is the word, but plain admiration to those genious that invented

worker placement
simultaneous action selection

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris johnson
United States
Oregon
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
frumpish wrote:

Just think of the royalties. :wow:

I would be on your heels and invented roll and move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I had invented the "turn order goes around the circle, starting from the left of the dealer".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Beck
Australia
Not Applicable
flag msg tools
Not sure which CDG wargame invented that game mechanic but Twilight Struggle uses the same game mechanic described in The Agents.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really a game mechanic, but I wish I had created the first Meeple!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Razo
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tapping: The act of turning your cards 90 degrees to indicate that its resources are spent... goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Holm
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drafting (Like 7 Wonders)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

If you pass GO, collect $200.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xienoph
msg tools
MTG's stack + instants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Gadea
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The attacking/defending mechanism in Risk is pretty golden. 3D6 vs 2D6... ties go to the defender... the core of an incredibly successful line of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corsaire
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tech trees...

The whole idea of knowing this to build that to get a discount for something else, etc. First loved it in AH's Civilization and the recruiting in Titan and skills in WoW. Don't know where it started.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
walloftruth
United States
Adrian
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Mancala like device in Trajan and a similar one in Navigador in which you determine your action on your turn by moving pieces around a sections ofa circle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I invented the "roll d20 and add modifiers" ... cuz then I'd get WotC to pay me. (Or perhaps I'd end up like Gary Gygax ... hmmm ... maybe I don't want that wish, after all.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Iachini
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if it counts as a mechanic, but I'll vote for the collectible card game. That worked out pretty profitably for Wizards of the Coast.

Michael Iachini
Clay Crucible Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since no one is really being all that serious, I wish I had invented the Worker Placement mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Joyce
United States
Yonkers
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The design that impressed me most was Ace of Aces. And with this game, being a fanboy may have really paid off. I was at a Spielbany event and hooked up playtesting with 3 other people, one of whom I'd met a couple times before, and a second I recognized as being with the first guy previously. Naturally, conversation was about games and design, and it became apparent these 3 were, or had been up until recently, in the business. I mentioned Ace of Aces was my favorite game and they all started laughing, then told me the 3rd guy was the son-in-law of the designer, and I learned how it was designed. It was simple and brilliant. Two "planes" were set up on a hex grid and the (drawings of) angles and directions all came from the relative positions of the planes on the hexgrid after each maneuver.

I have no reason to doubt the story, but no compelling reason to believe it either. I was a tie most of my career, and I heard a whole bunch of really good-sounding stories, from employees, union stewards, fellow ties and upper management, that I knew did not have a shred of truth in them. However, I will point out that the story did not come out until I brought the game up, some time after we started.

So for what it's worth, there's the story. I reiterate, that game is the one I wish I'd done. And if I was capable of jealousy, I think I'd have to be jealous of that design. It's such a delightfully twisty mechanism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Markham
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChaosAndAlchemy wrote:
I don't know if it counts as a mechanic, but I'll vote for the collectible card game. That worked out pretty profitably for Wizards of the Coast.

Michael Iachini
Clay Crucible Games

I'm with Mike. It's still not really a mechanic, but pre-game, individual deck construction is more fascinating to me than anything else.

"I see you've built a card engine of mass destruction? I have built one as well... We must now Kung-Fu Fight! HYYAAAAAHHH!!!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric S.
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I had invented the "this game is broken" mechanic. -or did I?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For royalties: the concept of choosing a starting player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nostalgiant Games
msg tools
mbmbmb
Not sure if invented but I wish I could find an interesting way to implement my "dueling resources" mechanic. Instead of placing your own resources to spend the game starts with 2 cards of one side and 2 cards of another side. Each time a resource is spent instead of being tapped it is instead flipped to the opponents color.

Each round of turns 1 card for each side is added to the central resource row (2 added cards per round) until 10 cards are in the resource row.

This allows the player a decision to spend all resources but then open theiropponent to do the same next turn or hoard your resources locking the player out until you're ready.

Obviously cards and actions could work around to force flip or open up resources.

However, I wish I could find a fresh spin on the player v player dueling decks til one is defeated that hasn't already been done to death.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The next player is the one furthest behind (in "time", actions, points, etc.) I call it 'Temporal turn order'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the spatial auction mechanic that is used in Metropolys is pretty genius.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.