Emil Larsen
Denmark
Faxe
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear gamers and supporters,

The last week I've been working hard on finishing the Kickstarter campaign, and it's practically there...

But something struck me - Something I hadn't been visualizing since I started the development of the campaign.

- My wife asked me -
"What is the goal with your game?"

At first I was about to answer... "To publish it!"
But it's not really my end goal..

I want Burning Suns to be a significant game!
I want it to become..
-> A tournament game as well as a "casual" game.
-> A customizable game beyond most standards.
-> A thematic memorable game.

Inspired by X-wing miniatures, the Starcraft computer game, the Starwars movies.

It might not make perfect sense or seem naive to compare one's small creation with some of the biggest franchises in the world.
But I'm not looking for comparison, I'm looking for the goal.. the monolith in the horizon

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The means to achieve the goal

What do you get out of it?
-> I'll be releasing the game's PDFs and 3D models for backers, right after funding (print'n'play right away).
-> I'll arrange some print services wherever I can.
-> I'll start an extensive "world-wide" play testing, right after funding, for minor changes/balancing, layout improvements, test tournaments, expansion ideas, other materials alongside the game. Just like you would be able to do with a computer game.
-> I'll facilitate a forum/or similar for all testers and backers to gather around for sharing and evaluating the experience.
-> You'll be a part of it - throughout the process!

What does this mean?
-> I need to move the delivery date of Burning Suns from April 2014 to September 2014.
-> I'll need a few more days to finalize the campaign and re-edit the video to address the new perspectives, before I can launch.

Why?
-> I need more than funding from crowdfunding, I need the crowd as well if we're going to achieve this goal.
(Kickstarter can be more than a preorder system).
-> We'll be able to dig deeper into the game and the universe, than I would ever be able to do "alone".
-> Burning Suns can't happen without you!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thank you guys for all your support this far - I hope you want to go further into space with me!

Let me know what you feel about it

Best regards Emil, SunTzuGames
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Puig
Spain
Tarragona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand you want your game to be a significant game. For me it is very positive you think this way. Lately there are lots of games out there, specially from the time Kickstarter campaigns began. Some of the games which have recently appeared are only a way to take advantge of Kickstarter easy way of making money...

I support the way you see the goal of your game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Courtight
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because of the nature of this game and the steps the creator has taken the game I have confidence that the creater will use the money wisely.

I will pledge what I can afford.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Larsen
Denmark
Faxe
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy to hear your thoughts on it and that you also believe in my ideas about Kickstarter.

Thank you for your kind words - Have a good day.
Best regards Emil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi K
msg tools
What? We must wait 12 month? Oh no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Larsen
Denmark
Faxe
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both yes and no...
You'll have to wait 12 month for the finished game.

But the prototype will be available right after the Kickstarter ends.

Both for Print'n'play and if you can get a prototype shipped to you or your gaming group.
I want to expand The play testing with many more prototypes, currently I only have 6 games in the field.

Best regards Emil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Fernandez
Venezuela
Caracas
Miranda
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great words Emil, keep doing

Kickstarter is not just for big companies making sure bussiness, but a way for independent and small companies enter in the race for the players to receive games like this one.

Best wishes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
digter
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I need to find a way to back this game! The main problem is that my wife thinks I've spend enough on board games already for next couple of months. Can you believe that?!
OK, I must admit, we're on a pretty tight budget for the forseeable future, but still.. Come on! This is danish design! I always try to tell her that I'm doing it for the family but that doesnt seem to work any more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Puig
Spain
Tarragona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skobbolop wrote:
I need to find a way to back this game! The main problem is that my wife thinks I've spend enough on board games already for next couple of months. Can you believe that?!
OK, I must admit, we're on a pretty tight budget for the forseeable future, but still.. Come on! This is danish design! I always try to tell her that I'm doing it for the family but that doesnt seem to work any more.

Try to tell her:

I have betrayed you with another women.

Then when she´s completely angry you tell her its not true, the true is I bought Burning suns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Highlord Tamburlaine
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mapiu2001 wrote:

Try to tell her:

I have betrayed you with another women.

Then when she´s completely angry you tell her its not true, the true is I bought Burning suns.

That's a dangerous game you're playing man! I think my wife would straight up murder my ass before I got a chance to finish the explanation!

My reasoning for wanting to back this is that it looks to fulfill a lot of specific desires I have in regards to gaming. It's modular, doesn't take endless amounts of time to play, lots of Ameritrashy components, strong thematic elements, and looks like it will be giving us quite a bit of variety in the components we get.

Plus if I keep nagging Emil about getting some solitaire/ co-op rules in the booklet, this would pretty much be my one and only go-to 4x space game. It'll have just about everything I need.

I tend to really pour over rules, components, and theme before deciding whether I'll buy/ back a game. Quite honestly I backed the original campaign within five minutes of reading through the page (at least until my kids broke one of the sprinkler lines and I had to spend a huge chunk of money getting that fixed, but that's another story).

I don't think anyone ever sets out to make a mediocre game. If you need to set more time aside to get this game from good to GREAT, do what you need to do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacie Winters
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skobbolop wrote:

There is no such thing as spending too much on games... just tell her that. It's like a calling in life, just something we have to follow for the sake of humanity.

It's for the enjoyment of the family and kids so they can learn about diplomacy and what happens when diplomacy fails.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Steeves
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love that you really want to make this a fantastic and widespread game, I really do. Take the time to develop your brand and polish this first release and your game will take on a life of its own.

You have my support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacie Winters
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that he is willing to share the Print n Play files with us after its over so while we may have to wait for the print version, we can all still play the game while the pretty version is in production.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi K
msg tools
So, I read the full text again. It make sense and the idea of making a game, that grows with the community is great. Do it so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Larsen
Denmark
Faxe
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great to hear all your comments - I'm happy that you support the idea, and I'm really looking forward to launch the Kickstarter, so we can get on it - and start the whole experience

Have a great day guys!
Best regards Emil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hebart-Coleman
Ivory Coast
Wien / Abidjan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read your posts with interest, watched the last campaign and thought about supporting. Trouble is, i really, really struggle with plastic miniatures and tend to avoid buying games with them in. But, I do like the look of the game, your passion comes through, the use of the miniatures is creative, and are all good reasons to think about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Fink
Germany
Münster
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How can someone not love plastic starships??? shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Banas
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The more polish the game gets the better it will be. The one item right now that I think could use polish is the symbolic and graphic design of icons. It would be awesome if you take a page from Eclipse and have every action and item be represented by a clear icon. This I think would take the game to the next level. Really excited to grow the community and the game along with it. I think with some polish it could be the best 4X game out there.

I have other ideas on how to improve the game so perhaps once the Kickstarter launches you should make a topic here just to start talking about improvements to the game. Then once the campaign ends you can shift the conversation to backer forums.

I watched the first campaign, but didn't have the money to back it. I have budgeted for the new Kickstarter campaign and can't wait for it to launch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
digter
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I showed my wife the replies to my comment and she laughed saying: "Well, maybe we can fit it into our budget".

Thanks guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Macias
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skobbolop wrote:
I showed my wife the replies to my comment and she laughed saying: "Well, maybe we can fit it into our budget".

Thanks guys!

Your wife rules!!! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Fink
Germany
Münster
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't wait!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
digter
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Victor Mancha wrote:
Skobbolop wrote:

Thanks guys!

Your wife rules!!! laugh

She knows
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacie Winters
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skobbolop wrote:

Thanks guys!

You have a wonderful wife right there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Larsen
Denmark
Faxe
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey again guys,
I'm now only the "reediting-of-the-video" away from pushing the sweet green launch button!

I've added a quick overview of the expenses and time aspect of the project, and adjusted a few things like..
- Adding £, $ and € cost to every reward description in the right side.
- Adding a "What makes Burning Suns special".
- Changed a few reward levels and viral stretch goals.
- Reedited the risk and challenges section.

Looking forward to share it all with you guys!!!!
Best regards Emil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Fink
Germany
Münster
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.