Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeh Yung
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
coolHi!

So I live approximately a 5 hour driving distance from GenCon. Due to work and life stuff, I won't be able to drive down there until Friday night - thus I'll really have Saturday/Sunday to experience GenCon.

Is it worth the trip? Do i have to sign up for events in order to really appreciate it? Or would wandering the exhibit hall be fun enough? Also are people receptive to having random strangers (such as me) joining their games?

Also, how are the RPG events? I've always been interested in these types of games, but have never played them before. Would they be receptive to newbies?

I'm also trying to get my friend to go with me (who doesn't board game at all- but I'm trying to convert). Would people be patient with him in teaching the rules of games?

Thanks for any suggestions or replies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. It's always worth going. It's not like all the cool stuff is done the first two days.

I didn't get to get there till Friday morning last year, and it was still amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if you are going solo I don't think its worth doing. If you split it with 2-3 friends it gains more value. Gas, and lodging costs lower significantly when splitting it up.

Also it depends on what you like to do. I personally enjoy trying new board games and have things in mind before I go. I would not enjoy a spur of the moment GenCon trip unless I was able to get into games on site I was looking to try. Which is sometimes doable.

I have done enough big conventions over the years that the exhibit hall no longer excites me. But if you prefer shopping, and seeing new stuff you will get plenty of that among the exhibitor hall and the decorations and such. GenCon's exhibit hall is huge and loaded so if that is something you enjoy its one of the best. Also you can get in some decent demos in the exhibit hall, but they will leave you wanting more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The events schedule indicates the expected experience level for players.

The board game room is great for pickup games.

You should go once just for the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Taylor
United States
Berryville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Just Another Washed Up Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
I will encourage you to come to Gencon, it's a good time. Especially if you're more of an omnivorous "nerd," who might enjoy a geeky movie, video games, "scifi/fantasy", etc. It's all things all the time. (We've had groups of 8 people some years whose sole intersection is the room in which they're sleeping.)

However.

Gencon is... very large. There's a paradox there - at a small local con, finding a "pick up group" is extremely easy. There's about 50 people in the room, you can easily scan, see who's being friendly and join right in.

At Gencon, there's a whole huge ballroom for just open boardgaming. There's multiple hotels filled with RPGers. There's a huge miniatures room. There's a whole set of rooms showing nothing but anime. There's a giant hall filled with people selling games.

You need, IMHO, a plan to get at all this, or you need a very friendly demeanor and a willingness to jump into anything that presents itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stove wrote:

Gencon is... very large. There's a paradox there - at a small local con, finding a "pick up group" is extremely easy. There's about 50 people in the room, you can easily scan, see who's being friendly and join right in.

This is exactly what the game library and pick-up play area is designed for. It's VERY easy to find players. It's about 500 people, 1,000 board games, and "player wanted" signs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Taylor
United States
Berryville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Just Another Washed Up Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Zaphod wrote:
This is exactly what the game library and pick-up play area is designed for. It's VERY easy to find players. It's about 500 people, 1,000 board games, and "player wanted" signs.

Very true, and it's a very friendly place. (I love the "player wanted" signs.) The "open boardgaming" room is definitely a place to go.

I was just trying to head off what seems to be the standard thing folks visiting the con say for the first time - "It was boring and no one wanted to play."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to go to the vendor hall and see all the new and upcoming games, get some deals, and wander. It takes me 4 hours or so if I don't sample too many games. I worked a booth for several years and ran some games in the halls. People are always friendly and willing to bring you in. I even had a few recruit people walking by or include people that were just looking. Never had anyone turn people away or get nasty.

I think it'd be great to go alone. You just wander and drop in wherever you want and not have to coordinate times with anyone. Plus this way you tend to talk to new people instead of only to your friend. Trust me, your schedules will never mesh unless you're doing the same thing anyway.

do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.