Subject: Cube Drafting Warhammer: Invasion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Majchrzak
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello All! I am a huge fan of the LCG model, I have recently decided to drop Magic: the Gathering (An 8 year addiction) and am trying to find an LCG to draft and one to deck build with. Now for starters I would like to say that I have played my fair share of Warhammer Invasion with the core set and the first couple of expansions, but I am really looking into making this my drafting game. My only problem comes in building the cube. What I would like to see is some pretty unique combos and non-forced faction drafting. Let me give you the basic run-down of the rules:

1. Each player gets 4 15-card random boosters, mixed, destruction, order, neutral, all of it.

2. Draft Like you would in a Magic Cube.

3. There is no restriction when deck building in terms of order and destruction. Because this is a draft everyone has fair chances at building the same combos you do.

4. After the draft is done you will chose your main faction. Any card not in your faction (regardless of order or destruction) has the same cost penalty as playing a card from outside of your faction. There is no extra penalty from playing cards from the other side (Order/ Destruction).

That's all for the draft... As for actually building the cube, that is where all of the work will come into play. Here are my current goals are as follows:

1. Add cards that benefit you from sticking with one faction cards such as Grimgor's camp (Core 73) and cards with low in faction cost but high influence costs.

2. As the cube evolves remove potentially game breaking combo cards or restrict the number of them in the draft.

3. Have an even representation of all of the factions across the cube.

What do you guys think? Is this a good idea? Will it break the game too much? Or does it sound just about right for drafting? Also, being so new to the game I have no idea how many cards combo well with specific factions (Like Grimgor's camp), can you guys provide any insight here? The way I have always seen drafts is that they always end up balancing out naturally over the course of the draft itself. Thanks for the feedback ahead of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ackerman
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The War Against Giygas!
badge
You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas' attack!
mbmbmbmbmb
Drafting is tough with LCGs, but Warhammer: Invasion is a good choice. I painstakingly pulled aside 1 copy of each card from my collection and use those to do drafts. Drafting a card allows you to construct your deck with the full 3 copies of that card should you choose to use them. I also allow each player choose one of the two-faction alliance banners to place on their capital board. You can spend your resources to play a banner from the capital board as if it were in your hand, and if they ever get destroyed they are returned to the capital board instead of the discard pile.

It works for us, but it took quite a few house rules to make happen. We also play multiplayer where a zone thats attacked can't be attacked again until the attacking players next battlefield phase.

We might try the new official concept where only neighbors can attack opposing Kingdom/Quest areas, with Battlefields being open to all (but still rule it so an attacked zone can't be attacked again until the attacking players next battlefield phase.)

We've also been toying around with the idea of adding "Cosmic Encounter" inspire rules where both sides can ask for help during battlefield phase, and negotiate cards and resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd avoid using Order & Destruction together. Not a good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Carlough
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
High adventure in the world of high finance...
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
I'd avoid using Order & Destruction together. Not a good idea.

Could you expand on why you feel this way? I have been thinking about a similar concept and have been wondering how well it would work. It seems to me that in a limited draft type format the potential for degenerate combos is pretty small. I would like to have a serious discussion on this concept because the games potential for limited/drafting type play is greatly increased if you don't have to deal with Order Vs. Chaos restriction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.