Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Leach
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
I've put in a really large order at Milan-Spiele recently. I now have to consider how to pay. I spent a good hour today trying to get a 'World Transfer' to Michael Lang's account. I was told the BIC code was wrong. So now I'm considering paying the %5 extra to use Paypal to pay for my games. The total cost of the games is a good deal above Paypal's limit without verifiying my details (which takes a good deal of perserverence).

Does anyone have any advice or have had similar problems with any aspect of this situation (large paypal payments, world transfers, milan-spiele)?
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan O'Rourke
United States
Tobyhanna
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you take the time to establish a free account with XE.COM (a slight PITA getting it set up), he may be willing to accept a bank transfer. It's free to use, get the best exchange rates, and is guaranteed. I have done this around 10 times to pay for items won on German ebay, and it's always worked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leach
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
XE.com requires me to WIRE or EFT the money to them. How is this different from a 'World Transfer'?
I think it's a shame that Milan-Spiele has no simpler ways of paying, from the customers point of view (I presume this is to keep costs down).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan O'Rourke
United States
Tobyhanna
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
EFT is simple for me, you just plug in your Bank's routing # and personal bank account #, and it's a flash. I don't know the differences for U.K. accounts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I think to easy but why don't you just ask Michael, if you can split your payment in two or three parts and then pay through PayPal?
Or doesn't PayPal allow this?

Due to the fact that you can include a message in your Payment (for example: Order 123 456 789 Payment, Part 1 etc) I am sure he will accept it. But ask him in advance thru mail.

Otherwise you might send him the money thru your bank in advance (ok, this will cost you something due to the rates of your bank).

The other possibilities users suggest to you I can say nothing about. Payment in Germany is a bit "old-fashioned" and it is usually a "draw the money in advance from my bank account". So be lucky that he offers PayPal - it's not usual in my experience. Every other payment-possibility might be accepted, if it is not a problem for those who receive the money (no extra work, registration etc.) and the safety might be important (for example: are YOU able to reclaim the money within two weeks etc). Then the question (to me) arises, how fast another service is in sending him the money. The company might be free for you but usually the seller has to pay a rate - if it is the same as PayPal, then what difference does it make - except the problem you quote.

I buy often at his store and pay thru PayPal (ok, I live in Germany) but the PayPal rates are cheaper than my bank-rates. Milan needs one or two days to confirm the payment and send the games but otherwise I can only say good things about the store - good prices, fast service. After finding this store I stopped buying at two other German internet stores.

Just my five cent.

The Alphawolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leach
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
Don't get me wrong Wolfgang this is not a thread complaining about the service at Milan-Spiele in terms of prices and correspondence and ease of use of the site etc. (These are all excellent). The problem is purely that it's awkward for an international buyer to pay.
I have spoken to Michael and unsurprisingly he would like me to pay by either of his two methods, Paypal or Bank transfer, I was really hoping someone with experience buying from within Europe and outside Germany could relate to me any methods that worked well for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
Jugular wrote:
Don't get me wrong Wolfgang this is not a thread complaining about the service at Milan-Spiele in terms of prices and correspondence and ease of use of the site etc. (These are all excellent). The problem is purely that it's awkward for an international buyer to pay.
I have spoken to Michael and unsurprisingly he would like me to pay by either of his two methods, Paypal or Bank transfer, I was really hoping someone with experience buying from within Europe and outside Germany could relate to me any methods that worked well for them.

I'm sorry George, if my reply sounded harsh. It was not intended to be. I was aware that you are looking for ways to pay. The reason why I spoke about the service was that I am sure you could find a way of paying for the games by writing to him.

Sometimes I have the problem to look for a solution and, as we have a saying, "are unable to see the woods due to the trees".
Therefore I suggested the splitting up the payment thru PayPal. Regarding the internet - stores and possibilities of payment I sometimes got the feeling we are waaaayyyy back here in Germany. There are exceptions but from my experience sometimes payment (even from a German to a German Internet - store) is a real "burden".

I don't think that the payment - possibilities from outside - Germany - buyers are the problem but the availability and acceptance of these methods here in Germany. Either you have to register somewhere, pay o/o-ages or have the problem to find a bank that is able to handle the "solution".

From what he suggested to you I still think that splitting up the payment might be the easiest solution (and the fastest one).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rosewater
Switzerland
Zürich
Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jugular wrote:
I was really hoping someone with experience buying from within Europe and outside Germany could relate to me any methods that worked well for them.

I think that's me you are looking for
My last order at Milan-Spiele was about €175.- and I chose EFT via Electronic Banking to be the cheapest way. Because when using the IBAN Code my bank assured me charging a fixed fee of € 6.20 to do this transfer (using unly BLZ and local Kto-# would result in doubling that fee).

I will order some games the very next days. So I was pleased, that Michael now accepts also PayPal. With PayPal I save that € 6.20 bank fee but when my credit card will be debited with Euros I will have a more expensive exchange rate than via electronic banking! Furthermore I have to add 4% to the amount. This means that Paypal is cheaper under the condition my order does not exceed €155.- (otherwise those 4% (not 5) do exceed the €6.20 bank fee).

Well, these are the considerations when paying from Switzerland. I don't know how this helps you from an UK point of view.

Regards Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leach
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks for the reply Dan. It turns out that a "Worldpay" bank transfer (EFT equivalent) costs me £9 and the Paypal (for this size order) would be ~£17 (yes it really is a big order) so I can sacrifice speed to save some money (Worldpay takes 6-8 days). Michael provided me with some alternative bank details which finally worked for me.

So now all that remains is the painful wait. I WANT MY GAMES!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.