Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Sibicky

Washington
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hey X-Wing Fans!

I just uploaded a whole series of videos on Youtube offering some of my X-Wing tips and strategies. Check them out! If people seem to like them, I will make more.

X-Wing Strategy Tips

Ep1 - Flying in Formation - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3OjjNUu1hA
Ep2 - Pilot Skill - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5plgMHll-w
Ep3 - Expose - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXWY08LSZls
Ep4 - Biggs - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjT7s7Gdx68
Ep5 - Vader - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaaZBAUb8Zg
Ep6 - Keep Howl Alive - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7-NvrijS_I
Ep7 - Beating Dual Falcons - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y1U3z5U6IM
Ep8 - A New Game? - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM-oBTCwQyw
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil, the Tusken Tactician
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Woohoo! You mentioned my No Questions Asked 3xORS build. Thanks, man!

Nice vids, by the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Sibicky

Washington
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thanks! That build amuses me to no end...nice work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
are you accepting suggestions for more articles?

"How to keep at long range" (for Heavy Laser Cannon builds)
"Intentionally crashing into enemy ships for fun and profit"
"Beating Dual Firespray"
"Beating the Swarm"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Fella
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, thank you for taking the time to make these videos. You are right that there are simply not videos like that out there for us newer players.

Second, I'm going to argue against each of your videos with some counter-points. I want to make sure first and foremost that I mean you no disrespect, I just want to question the tactics and strategies you are presenting as a means to open up further discussion. To that end I may come off antagonistic, but I want to assure you that I mean no disrespect and only wish to further discussion. Maybe call it constructive criticism? Before my opinions and conjectures are immediately disqualified as I have confessed to being a newer player, hear me out.

Herein lie the points I want to address from each video:

1) Formation Flying - "The more you tighten your grip, the more star systems will slip through your fingers."

I take it this is the dominant strategy currently. I understand the value of flying in a formation and the opportunity it creates for focus fire and enhancement of various pilot abilities. However, I just don't like the "cube" formation of ships in a 2x2 square. It just doesn't seem versatile and able to adapt to the circumstances that may emerge in the battle. I would be curious to the effectiveness of a "diamond" formation or even a V formation, which I feel would be more adaptive given the circumstance. Also, the over-emphasis on the necessity of squadron flight did not seem to mention that at some point you may (and possibly should) break squadron. If I'm playing against someone and I see them line up in that tight squadron, I'm going to do everything in my power to disrupt it. You give the impression that a player will be so focused on maintaining his squadron flight that if you can disrupt it, he either will focus on restoring his squadron, or he will roll with the change and be uncomfortable as he is now no longer doing something he is used to. Out of his element, more prone to mistakes. Plus if I maneuver out of formation in a way that still allows me to focus fire, it can be just as advantageous. At the end of this point to me it just seems to be just as advantageous to know when it is time to break squadron.

2) Pilot Skill - "Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dustin' crops boy."

This point stems more as a constructive criticism than a challenge to the strategies presented. Were I unfamiliar with the rules or still learning them, your video unfortunately comes off misleading. Your PS video gives the impression that pilots with higher pilot skill don't choose their maneuver on the dial until pilots of lower skill have chosen and executed their own maneuver. You made it sound like a pilot like Wedge or Vader gets to see everyone move, then choose what move they want to do. In truth all the moves are chosen, the only spur of the moment decision as each ship moves is the action they will or will not take. You know this, I know this, but I just don't feel your video conveyed that. Otherwise yes you communicated the importance of pilot skill very well.

The only other thing I would point out is in your scenario where the x-wing target locked a Tie figher in hopes of using his proton torpedos only to have the TIE fighter get in his face, I don't see that as a wasted TL. Sure you can't use your torpedos but now you're point blank with 4 attack dice, plus a re-roll. Assuming it's the start of the battle, you know the X-Wing won't get destroyed in this volley, so really even in that instance it's bad news for the TIE fighter, but again that is very situational conjecture. Near the end of the battle that position may not be at all desirable based on damage already took.

3) - Expose "It's not impossible, I used to bullseye whomp rats all the time in my T-16 back home, they're not much bigger than 2 meters."

Can I really critique this one? You did what I'm doing now, going after popular strategies to get the discussion out there. You don't like expose, I get it. I still think it could have its uses though. Expose on Wedge or Vader could be really beneficial. Or as you alluded to, using pilots who pass their actions to other pilots (Dutch or Garven) could also be great. I think ultimately it comes down to preference.

4) - Biggs "LUKE PULL UP!"

Short video. Right to the point. I appreciated that. However I feel your arguments for Biggs are the same arguments against him. You want opponents to focus their fire, but they have to make the decision of who to shoot at and Biggs makes it for them. At the same time you are controlling his decision at that point, which means you're in charge of the battle. We're probably in agreement on this one in that case. He sounds under-rated. But again in that cube formation can the other ships really capitalize on the opportunity to shoot a lot while Biggs tanks?

5) - Vader "I have you now."

He's versatile, no doubt about that. Two actions, invaluable. However, just the focus on one strategy for how you like to use him. Granted it looks pretty effective, but in this particular video with the examples demonstrated it just felt like a lot of what the opponent was doing was assumed and extremely situational. An actual battle shouldn't be that predictable. If Vader got behind that cube squadron, me I'd just start pounding him with that Y-Wing's ion cannon. You still have 3 other ships focusing fire on whatever else you're shooting. You have to fly him in close to really get the use out of him, so the Y-Wing will get plenty of chances to disable him. Ultimately it comes down to the dice rolling, and you just can't predict that. Again in the same vain as Biggs, the arguments for him seem similar to the arguments against him.

6) Keep Howlrunner alive. - "Probably just another drill."

8 minute video to say keep her in the back. Only major critique.

7) Beating Dual Falcons - "Don't worry she'll hold together, hear me baby hold together."

Right off the bat you say you don't own two YT-1300's and you say you dislike the strategy of using them. You admit that perhaps you may not be familiar with the more subtle nuances of the play style. To that end it's harder to rate your counter-strategy and how effective it is. Good suggestions, but at the same time it just seems more research might be required.

8) Come on, do I really need to say anything? You pulled a bait and switch. As a person who also makes videos on youtube that's misleading and not cool. You want to promote your game and I respect that, but that is not an 8th episode of X-Wing strategy tips.

Overall I appreciate that you are promoting strategies and I hope I am helpful in getting discussions going that further that end. My overall critique is that while you point out several ideas and strategies, it feels you rely on very situational circumstances to show your points, and it doesn't effectively demonstrate the overall benefit of the strategy being suggested. I feel the strategies would be better demonstrated in unscripted battles, rather than quick on the fly set-ups that give an idea of "When A happens you should do B" which again just feels circumstantial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Sibicky

Washington
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
No offense taken at all! I appreciate the comments!!!

I actually agree with you on all critiques. You are spot on. I did shoot these quite a while before they are posted, and have started playing checkerboard-style formations almost exclusively (which bank better than tight formations, but don't necessarily hard turn as well). I know that there are lots of problems with the videos, but I had a day off from work so I just shot them all straight through and off the cuff; they are clearly not meant to be comprehensive.

I too am most interested in getting people discussing strategies more seriously! Anyway, thanks for watching and your tips!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OmegaDolphin wrote:

8) Come on, do I really need to say anything? You pulled a bait and switch. As a person who also makes videos on youtube that's misleading and not cool. You want to promote your game and I respect that, but that is not an 8th episode of X-Wing strategy tips.

My reaction to 8th episode was:

...a crummy commercial????

Seriously, I hope the intention here was not to do those other 7 vidoes simply to "buy" the opportunity to tell us about your game. If it was, it was actually a pretty smart marketing move if a little disingenuous.

If it wasn't, ie. you were doing these videos anyway to fill a perceived need and it suddenly dawned on you that you could leverage this opportunity to plug your game, then I feel a little better.

Either way, I actually like the videos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
well, in that case I would just voice my opinions as well.

1) Formation Flying

>>need to emphasize that PS plays a rather large influence in maneuvers done at slower speeds, mostly to prevent collisions. A common by-product of this is that most players tend to place the lower PS pilots in front and the higher PS pilots behind.

>>If you have everybody doing the exact same maneuver, the shape of the formation is retained, but the ships would rotate on the spot. ie. a bank2 will have everybody rotating 45deg on their spots, but you will still maintain your square. similarly, a hard 3 would keep your square, but everybody would rotate 90deg. This explains why your ships would collide with each other if they are too close to each other.

2) Pilot Skill

>>You can never fly outside the firing arc of your previous position without using barrel roll or boost. This is why moving into the position previously taken by your opponent works so well.

3) Expose

>> Expose is good when you are caught in a situation where the defender is rolling a lot more defense dice than you. Even if you have all the TL+F, if you have only 2 dice, you would probably never be able to hit something rolling 4-5 defense dice. With Expose, even without TL or F, you now have a more reasonable chance to score a hit on your target, which is rather important for removing stealth devices. Yes, I agree that expose on its own is not as good as TL or F, and that you need to find a way to pair the expose action with other modifiers. However, you are really short-selling it as a poor card, when it is actually rather justified for being a 4 point upgrade. Also, it is one of the few ways of increasing the number of dice rolled, outside of using secondaries like torps etc or getting into range 1.

>> Expose being an action is a great part of the card. You get to choose if you want it on/off.

>> It is also not that bad in range3 or thru-the-rock exchanges, where you give yourself the additional dice to mitigate the effectiveness of his extra evade dice

4) Biggs

>> I believe that there are 2 ways to use Biggs effectively, and you have sort of forced both methods into one, which makes your suggested tactic seem rather questionable.

the first way would be to have Biggs take all the shots, AND survive. That would be giving him R2F2 + Stealth Device + staying at range 3 + hiding behind a rock + Garven's spare token + etcetc, where he forces your opponent to take very very poor shots that would definitely result in a miss.

The other way would be to have him take some shots (that would likely result in actual hits), then break off, repair a bit with R2D2, and then join back the others again to draw fire. This would mean having some hits flow over to the targets he is trying to protect in the subsequent rounds, but is otherwise a pretty alright trade off in the long term, so long as his targets doesnt get killed off before he does.

Both Biggs strategies work rather differently, and I feel you cant lump the both ideas together and expect Biggs to work well in both roles at the same time. Also, if the idea is to try and keep Biggs alive for a little longer, a more reliable method would be to use DrawTheirFire and manually have some damage flow over to another ship in a controlled manner (usually Chewbacca falcon or a random Awing), as opposed to somehow flying such that half of your opponent squad can fire at Biggs and half cannot. Moreover, if half of your opponent squad can fire at Biggs and the other half cannot, chances are that your squad would have the exact same problem as well, eg. against a Howlrunner based team, half of your squad can shoot at her and the other half cannot, which is overall a rather bad situation to be in for both sides.

5) Vader

>> You make your opponent sound too predictable, and your suggested usage for Vader is a tad too optimistic. The Ywing would easily be a hard-counter against Vader with its ion turrets, and there is no need for the rebel to really split his formation nor really care about Vader. Also, it is increasingly rare for a rebel player to engage head-on, with most rebel tactics choosing to dive into dense asteroid fields and wait till the imperial formation falls apart before picking off targets when they are isolated after squeezing through bottlenecks caused by the asteroids.

>> Soontir PTL does the exact same suggested role for Vader for lower points, and with a higher offensive power as well.

>> You could actually use Expose on Vader to solve the issue of him not having a high enough firepower.

6) Howlrunner

>> would be nice to see other ideas, eg. elusiveness, defensive use of PTL, DrawTheirFire on bodyguards, even have her do a random forward 5 to ram into your opponent and make him not able to attack you for that turn etcetc.

7) Dual Falcons

>> I believe the main issue really stems from the lack of experience in playing with and against this particular genre. In particular, the most unique strategy that the dual falcon build abuses is not addressed, ie. that of having both falcons fly head-on at each other until they collide, then keep moving forward 1, effectively locking them in place and turning them into some sort of "fortress". More playing with and against this build would definitely help in formulating better viable tactics to deal with this particular genre, other than simply trying to guess at where the falcons would end up (which no good opponent would fly up and down like some automated AI without at least changing the speeds, or even turning in towards your sides and getting out of your arcs or forcing you to fly through asteroid bottlenecks etcetc)

On the whole, the strategies seem rather too optimistic in nature, with most of them highly dependent on your opponent doing specific responses in return, or somehow being able to control and force out unlikely situations that are entirely in your favour (eg. Biggs and having about half your opponent's fleet fire at him and the other half not firing at him) They are a great starting point for newer players though, although a little more emphasis on basic ideas would be nice (eg. the part about higher PS ships being able to blast away lower PS ships before they could fire).

As usual, there are always strategies and ideas that you are using which I may not agree with, and I do hope that there can be some avenue for discussion, especially more interesting topics like the value of Expose or keeping Biggs alive etc. I did learn quite a bit from your videos too, things which I did not notice from my own experiences in the game, and I thank you for willingly sharing your knowledge with others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Woehlke
msg tools
mb
Your note on Expose is pretty decent. I always want to give Tycho Expose to boost his firepower, then that means I can't give him Push The Limit. And since Tycho can, with PTL, take a Focus and a Target Lock and still roll 3 Evade dice I can never justify it. Since there's not really another high Pilot Skill A-Wing I never want to risk losing the extra defense.

All in all I wish there was an A-Wing that was Pilot Skill 7 or 8 to give Expose to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
i would be pretty interested in your views regarding "Daredevil"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John DiMaggio
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello,

Great idea and great videos! I must say that I've had similar thoughts regarding the content of vidoes on youtube. There's not nearly enough strategy videos! Good work!

I think your demonstration of formation flying will be very helpful for those making their first foray's into how to fly ships together. A few other comments I noted while watching are listed below:

Pilot Skill:

I feel a huge aspect of pilot skill was missed in this video, and that is starting set up. This is an enormously important aspect of the game that is just glossed over but basically sets you up for your first few turns, which are the most important of the game. Higher pilot skill basically lets you dictate where that first engagement will take place. That's big. Asteroid placement has something to do with this as well, and the two go hand-in-hand.

Vader:

I sense a bit of bias in this video. I like Vader but that video was 2 or 3 x's the length of the others. I do think he's a useful pilot, but as you mentioned, he has very little offense for his points. A few other cons, I find his movement dial to be somewhat more restrictive than the standard TIE as he lacks 1 turns. His "slow" movement isn't that slow either, has he has no 1 straight, which is a nice asset the rebels have.

Howl:

Good overview for beginners needing tips on how to keep howl alive. Perhaps a follow-up on advanced tips might include proper formation flying with Howl? I'd like to see discussion on rivaling thoughts on how to keep her alive (i.e. Push the limit + Stealth device, and the ever-popular Black Squadron + Draw their fire).

Dual Falcons:

The Falcon's maneuverability should be stressed as having a 1 turn is amazing in this game. I did enjoy the discussion of competing strategies on how to use them though.

Episode 8:

Gonna go against the grain here and say that I rather liked the video. I think that the game does have aspect X-wing players would like, the cover art is fantastic and it'd be nice to see more deep strategy games with more dice. I feel a lot of us "Euro-gamers" tend to stick our noses up at dice as they're too random or lack control, but a certain amount of controlled randomness/luck can be a lot of fun. Will look into the game, great job. Designing can be rough, and I wish you the best.

Overall, great job and great insight into many popular builds/ships. For future videos I'd like to make a few requests!

Set-up:

As I mentioned earlier, the set up of the game is incredibly important and too often glossed over. It'd be nice to see commonly used asteroid placement with certain squads (i.e. spread-out 'roids via Piqsid's articles if you're flying a swarm vs. if you're flying AGAINST a swarm, you better clog the middle with some 'roids!). Also, as I said earlier, pilot skill and placement being of utmost importance. Even something as basic as, "Don't fly directly at a PS-1 TIE Swarm with your higher PS pilots unless you like colliding and losing all your actions" would be helpful for beginners.

Synergy:

Popular combo's like Garvin/Dutch, Biggs/Wedge, Howl + Black Squad and Draw their Fire, or even popular tournament builds (7/6 TIE named swarms, double firespray builds, 4 x-wing, falcon/2 x-wings, etc.).

Guest speakers:

Perhaps set up interviews with popular names/strategist/champions in X-wing. I'm always a fan of hearing Hothie's input, as well as popular therorists on BGG and Team Covenant (Vorpalsword, Theorist, Piqsid, Muon) would be fun to hear from in person

Again, great job and hopefully we'll see more videos in the future. Sample games, and in-game content would be great to watch as well. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Sibicky

Washington
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Re: John Dimaggio

Ah! Yes, setup order is a BIG deal; many games are won/lost on initial placement. I will make a note of that.

Furthermore, your suggestions for new videos are great. I'm doing a bit of traveling right now, but when I get back I will definitely use these as a starting place reference!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.