♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
NNNNN by Carl Reiner

Yes, this is THAT Carl Reiner, the guy who interviewed the 2,000 year-old man, who wrote and produced the "Dicky van Dyke Show," and the guy who played Lyman Zerga in Ocean's Eleven. I had no idea he was also a novelsit, but according to the blurb on the back of the book, he's written two semi-autobiographical novels. Who knew?

This story is about a novelist, Nat Noland, who is writing his fifth novel. For his first novel, the working title was N, for his second NN, and so on, so the working title of his latest book is NNNNN. The thing is, his current book is being written as he is working through his own issues, the main one being that he's taken to talking (and arguing) with himself, in two distinct voices, and sometimes he's not even aware that he's doing so. He makes a trip to a psychiatrist, and from there his story (and the one in this novel) take an interesting turn as someone mistakes him for his doppleganger.

To be honest, I'm not sure why I chose to read this book. I have a slew of other books waiting to be read, and I try not to get sidetracked with novelty novels like ones written by celebrities. Lord knows, I should have learned my lesson with Chris Elliot's The Shroud of the Thwacker. The thing is, I'm glad I read this book. The story moves quickly, and Reiner has a style that keeps you reading. I don't think there's a tremendous amount of depth here (I'm still trying to figure if there's some symbolism with his N titles for his books, but I can't figure it out), but it was a fun read, even if the ending was a little too pat.

The only bad thing about reading the book is that now I want to track down his other two novels. I have too much to want to read to add even more titles to that list!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
On Monday mornings, I'm dedicated to the proposition that All Men are created jerks.
United States
Stratford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
I had no idea he was also a novelsit

I had no idea that he was STILL a novelist. I read his first (and I thought only) novel, Enter Laughing (published in 1958), just a few years ago. I enjoyed it, and do recommend it. I don't know about the second novel you speak of. Was it written long ago as was EL, or is it of a more recent vintage?

Reiner has also had some success, along with alot of other celebrities, with writing children's books. My children received his book, Tell Me a Scary Story... But Not Too Scary! as a gift. It's very good, and as an added bonus, comes with a CD of Carl himself reading it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
He wrote a sequel titled Still Laughing, but I only know about it because it was mentioned in the author blurb.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.