Subject: Bands' common theme rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the band Lynyrd Skynyrd but it does seem like 2/3 of their songs are about the narrator in the song's lyrics having a fear of commitment. Led Zeppelin's songs seem more often than not to deal with the extramarital affairs. What are some other bands' songs recurring theme?

EDIT: to clarify--
Please name the band and the theme a majority of their songs seem to be about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Band's common theme
It seems lots of female vocalists sing mostly about bad boyfriends. Adele is one that springs to mind because my daughter played her CD endlessly about a year ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Re: Band's common theme
I've noticed a lot of them are about smoking weed, chasing ho's, cruising in 64's, getting on the dance floor....You know, everyday things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Prince has a ton of subtle and not-so-subtle mysticism laced in his lyrics, especially in regard to death/apocalypse/#7.

But there's even more sex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rocking and/or rolling.

(Both of which my 43-year-old brain now automatically translates to "f---ing" in every song I hear.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Cannibal Corpse: The endless struggle over whether to rape before you kill, or vice versa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Dave wrote:
Cannibal Corpse: The endless struggle over whether to rape before you kill, or vice versa.

Lovely. gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
braveheart101 wrote:
Dave wrote:

Lovely. gulp

My thoughts exactly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
On a more serious note, my favorite bands Godflesh & Jesu (same lead guy) have frequently covered the coexistence of contradictions. Musically, that's what the band is all about (best demonstrated at the end of Jesu's "Guardian Angel", so ugly and so beautiful... should I trust that angel with my life?).

Lyrically, the best explicit example is Godflesh's "Defeated". The first verse covers the state of the protagonist's conflicted mindview:

Quote:
Everything I build, I destroy.
Everything I love, I always hurt.
Everything I hate, I'd rather love.
Everything I am is everything I'm not

The second and final verse contrasts this with the antagonist's state of being, which I interpret as being less desirable to the author:

Quote:
How does it feel to be free,
how does it feel to clearly see,
I am you now, I feel complete,
I am you now, free of defeat!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
ninja Songs about Klingons--STOVOKOR///Songs about the Lovecraft Mythos--DARKEST OF THE HILLSIDE THICKETS///Songs about rocketing into deep space--NOVADRIVER///Songs about driving fast in California--FU MANCHU///Songs that are metaphors for sex--THE B-52s///Songs about Satan--SLAYER///Songs about Satan and sex--HOOKERS///Songs about kicking your a**--MOISTBOYZ ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.