Timeline: Discoveries» Forums » General

Subject: Card question: Discovery of America rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Thomassen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
The card in the game goes by Columbus' discovery of America. But it's been well established that the Vikings discovered at least the very northern part of america much before that. Am I right in thinking this is an erroneous card? What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hackel
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the card as printed. Not only is "Discovered by Columbus in 1492" the most likely answer, but also Columbus's voyage was far more important.

While an impressive feat of navigation and seamanship, the Viking voyages to North America were relatively insignificant in the grand scope of history, while Columbus's voyages changed everything. Viking colonists left very little permanent structures, no long-lasting colonies, and scant documentation. They left the New World as quickly as they found it, and Europe ignored the New World for five more centuries. The fact that Columbus did not anticipate an encounter with the Americas speaks to how marginal the Viking experience had become even in the 15th Century.

if you disagree with the card, leave it in the box next time. Timeline will not suffer for the omission. It's your party, not mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Jones
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I more question the "Discovery of Greenland (by Europeans)" they use the Viking date, but the "Discovery of Newfoundland(by Europeans)" they switch back to the followers of Columbus for the date(?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Played this last night and we had the same discussion. We decided to put both the cards (Discovery of N.A. and Discovery of Newfoundland) in the "problematic" envelope so they're out of the game.

Columbus' journey may be more historically significant, but it's been verified that it wasn't the first and that's the question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.